1. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

What Would It Be Like For A Child...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lorddread, Nov 23, 2011.

With superpowers growing up in Victorian Britain? The kid's are at story's start about eight, have super strength, speed, senses, intelligence, invulnerability, X-ray and heat vision. Oh and they develop flight later. They were adopted as infants by a poor couple who already had three kids.

2. Irontrousers

Irontrousers New Member

Funny you should ask. My grandfather was a child with superpowers in Victorian Britain. He says it was fun. I hope this was helpful.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Yeah I asked this wrong, any issues it could cause?

4. SnappyUK

SnappyUK New Member

Some (very) random thoughts:

There was a lot of interest in religion, spiritualism and the occult in Victorian Britain, even though science was making inroads, so the children's powers might be seen in a religious context as either a curse or a gift from God. Newspapers were the main source of information, and they were certainly capable of sensationalising stories as much then as they are now. Fairs & freak shows were common too, so your kids might end up doing tricks before a paying audience to make money.

'Poor' in Victorian Britain meant a lot of things, but mostly it meant doing any job(s), working all hours, just to put food on the table and have a room in which to put the table, rather than be forced into the Workhouse. Chances are the children all shared one bed - if they even had a bed - and only one set of outdoor clothes to wear. For some poor people, morality was a luxury they couldn't afford and so theft was rife. Punishment for crimes was pretty severe too.
    Child mortality, especially in the big cities, was high - especially as the poor could not afford medical care - so any immunity the children might have to common diseases could be notable in itself.

There are TONS of books on Victorian Britain, though, and my advice would be to choose a few to read so you can get a proper feel for the times.

5. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

So, possible ways the dad could have found the ship the kids arrived in?

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

what would be like?
    I would say uplifting .
    why superpower in Victorian Britain in particular?
    what is this superpower going to do in this particular miserable time for a child?
    Are you intending to use this superpower as a way to clean up Victorian Britain?