1. thenewkatemoss

thenewkatemoss New Member

fantasy publishing mags for short stories..

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by thenewkatemoss, Aug 31, 2008.

Hey, I've been hunting around for different reportable fantasy magazines to start submitting my short stories. Does anyone happen to know any?? It would be even better if anyone knew a fantasy magazine that possibly caters to new writers, because I haven't been published yet (I know everyones looking for that.) but any help and support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

-Michael

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Thenewkatemoss,

There are some fantasy magazines/ezines that advertise seeking new writers specifically, but if the story is written well enough and fits, the larger and more established markets will purchase it as well.

You can check out the markets page on my website. I have it divided into nonpaying, paying and semip-pro and pro paying rates rates. If you click on each of those you'll quite a few fantasy short fiction markets.

Here is my Markets Page

The second page has links for over a dozen websites that will help you search for markets, such as Ralans and Duotrope.

Here is my Market Search Sites Page

Be sure to read the guidelines and magazine desires carfully before submitting. Good luck finding a home for your story!

Terry

1 person likes this.
  3. thenewkatemoss

Thanks!

I really appreciate your help. :)

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the best of all listing sites, imo, is www.duotrope.com

5. thenewkatemoss

Thanks again... I looked over the websites, but I'm also looking to know if anyone knows specifically of fantasy based magazines. I write more on the "flowery prose" side of fantasy, and can't seem to hone in on the magazines that might focus or be receptive to that type.

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Thenewkatemoss,

Although descriptive, I do not know exactly what you mean by 'flowery prose'. Does that mean, light & happy, blissful & lofty with beautiful imagery, faerie?

Many of the major magazines probably shy away from that...ie The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction. I carried a subscription with them for about 8-10 years. Realms of Fantasy (I had a subscription for about two years) may be a possiblity. Those would be the two biggest markets.

Going through duotrope, as Mammamaia suggested, put in the parameters you desire (based on type of fiction (fantasy), length (short story), print and/or electronic publication, pay rate (from no pay to pro level), and see.

What will come up is a list and you can click on the markets and read a quick blurb of what the magazines are looking for. If it looks promising, with respect to the type of writing you produce, examine the website further. Often the 'about' or the 'guidelines' will further refine. If the market has stories online, read one or two to get a feel.

It is important to try to narrow your search for a market that fits your work (as you're trying to do) because it is a waste of time and energy (both on your part and on the part of the editors who receive and evaluate submissions) and even money if you submit by postal delivery.

Finding the right markets to focus on may take a few hours, maybe a bit more, but they're hours well spent. And you'll have a better idea where to look for future works you produce.

Good luck.

Terry

7. thenewkatemoss

Thanks Terry, will do!

8. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter New Member

Hi thenewkatemoss, sorry I came in on this one late. Here's some links to sites with tons of market listings aimed specifically at fantasy writers.

Ralan's Webstravaganza

Spicy Green Iguana

SpecFicWorld

Also, you can find some similar markets listed at my website: Capricious Quills.

And finally, here's a link to a fantasy webzine where I'm one of the editors. We always welcome submissions of the "flowery" types of fantasy fiction and poetry.
    Moon Drenched Fables