1. innocentghost

innocentghost New Member

Researching Sci-Fi, Guns and Computer Electronics

Discussion in 'Research' started by innocentghost, Dec 13, 2015.

I have an idea for a science fiction story in which there's gun combat (some similar to modern guns, and some futuristic). The thing is, I hardly know anything about guns, other than some basics I've learned from video games, other sci fi novels, and even a couple gun-based anime. Some guns will be hand held, and some mounted in robots or turrets. My question is, where should I start for research? Are there any good books on the subject, or good websites or resources that can get me a solid grounding so that I don't write something that sounds silly?

Along a similar line, my story also involves human augmentation, specifically implants that will connect to a users brain stem (at least for now that's where I think it would connect best?) to give them abilities to see the internet from their brain. There will also be cyborg body parts, and even full cybernetic bodies. One of my characters is a hardware engineer that specializes in these subjects, and again, knowing near nothing about computers or electronics, does anyone know good places to start with research?

I know it's kind of two separate topics, but if anyone can help with one or the other I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  2. NeighborVoid

NeighborVoid Active Member

Here's a useful resource for military science fiction I found a while ago.
    http://www.milsf.com

You should also think about how speculative military technologies might be countered. For example : subdermal collagen plates could provide some degree of protection against knives and low-end firearms. Chrome fabric could protect against laser weapons. etc.

CGB likes this.
  3. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Military SF resources are definitely a place to start but the first thing you need to figure out which SF subgenre you're in. Military SF? Hard SF? Space Opera? Cyberpunk?

It sounds like you've got elements of both Space Opera (robot gun battles) and Cyberpunk (body augments) going on. So maybe look at how those subgenres work and figure out what level of detail you need for the story to work. If you're in the Space Opera or Cyberpunk spheres, you don't need the same level of scientific detail that you'd need for either Hard SF (where the science stuff has to be pretty darn convincing) or Military SF (where you can fudge the science but the guns and military tactics have to be perfect)

4. innocentghost

innocentghost New Member

That's some good food for thought. Also, that link's really useful, thanks!

I definitely don't want people screaming at me about how unrealistic my guns are, but I'm definitely not trying to write a hard sci-fi story. Actually, a blend of space opera and cyberpunk is about where I was going with it, though I'm not planning to have any aliens or space travel. It would kind of have the presentation of, say the Sirantha Jax series (space opera) and Cassandra Kresnov series (androids and special ops, not sure if its full military sci fi), but with a more dystopian, high tech, low life feeling that is seen in cyberpunk. So mainly, my goal is to not make the basic science seem like its fantasy, but make it pretty flashy without needing a degree in science or engineering to write it.

5. Acornlad

Acornlad New Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB3solmhqtgDeLpD-yTtfg
    If you are interested in guns, this guy has a great channel, its part of where I did my research for in a book I'm working on. Sometimes he opens up guns and shows the mechanisms of them, I'm also sure if you sent him a message he could tell you more about it. Bonus is that you get to hear the guns being fired.

A bonus being that I'm familiar with engineering so it comes to my understanding naturally.