?

Was this thread question coherent and easy to understand?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sort of

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Needs revising

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FedorableKitty

FedorableKitty New Member

Researching tips for in depth setting details

Discussion in 'Research' started by FedorableKitty, Apr 11, 2015.

Hello to everyone

I am currently planning a first novel and I have come to the really annoying question of researching for elements of the book, specifically the setting of it and backstory elements. I intend to use real world locations for my book, but I am unsure of how to begin my search. The locations I am examining at the moment are the British Isles, eastern Europe, Mid to East of the USA portion of North America, South America with a vague interest on Argentina. I intend to narrow down the locations to specifics after examining them closer. For the backstory I am looking at researching hydroponic garden domes for locations unable to support the growth of earth plants, long terms effects of a simultaneous volcanic eruptions on a global scale, and magic applied to technology. Kind of a large list of things to ask about, but even if I get some basic tips on researching and any web links, that would be fine. The rest I could find on my own with the help of a six pack and a six month Google search engine expedition.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  2. Woof

Woof Senior Member

Have you had a look at the Eden project, Cornwall, UK?

3. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Are you looking for suggestions on which locations to use or tips on doing better research?

Location is up to you.

Tips on research - used whatever data you can get your hands on publicly. Obviously check your local library but also look at things like censuses and such to get a feel for the area, what people do, how they act, the local economy. Wikipedia is definitely not enough but I've always used Wiki articles as jumping off points, as the footnotes usually link to reliable data, especially on things like economies, income states, democgraphicse, etc. I also use Google StreetView to help me get pictures in my head, and will look for YouTube videos featuring or made by locals to get a feel for culture, speech, etc.

Also, use what you know firs . My stuff takes place all over the world, but the main setting where my characters live is Washington DC...because I live there. I used to have it in New York but DC is so much easier to write because it doesn't take research and I can get ideas just by walking around town. That way I can pour research into secondary locations - which is good because they need more research, and also because it's easier to fake people out about a location when you're only there for a few chapters. So, if any of you potential locations are places you actually have personal experience with, hijacking that knowledge is a head start.