Resources for physics

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by PenTrotter, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sorry, but the net effect is a lesser overall tidal effect on Venus. The increase in solar tides due to a closer orbit is far leaa than the effect of the moon, by itself, on the Earth. The moon's tidal effect is believed to have stripped away much of the excess atmosphere from the Earth, including greenhouse gases. The greenhouse effect is a large part of Venus' higher temperature.

2. iolair

iolair Active Member

Agreed, the tidal effect is lesser at Venus; I simply argued that it is still significant.

If my calculations are correct, the maximum difference (i.e. at closest approach) in gravity between one side of Earth and the other is 530 nN/kg due to the sun and 2800 nN/kg due to the moon - so when the two work together the most extreme tidal forces are a difference of around 3300 nN/kg.

The maximum tidal forces on Venus due to the sun are in the region of 1300 nN/kg - so still very much in the same order of magnitude as those on Earth even though rather lower. Additionally, the lower strength of Venus' own gravitational field is only about 91% the strength at the surface as Earth's, so the tidal effects on liquid water or the atmosphere would be increased by about 10% relative to the local gravity compared to on Earth.

I've not met a theory before suggesting that Earth's greenhouse gases were stripped away by tidal forces, and giving the tiny size of the tidal forces compared to the local gravity it does seem unlikely to me. Do you have a link for this - I couldn't find anything relevant in a quick google. (Of course, greenhouse heavyweight methane (molecular weight 16) would be lost before the heavier oxygen (mw 32), water (mw 18), nitrogen (mw 28) and argon (mw 40) that form a lot of our atmosphere - lighter molecules reach escape velocity first. But we would definitely hang on to carbon dioxide (mw 44) that is responsible for most of the greenhouse effect heating on Venus - where methane doesn't factor).

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't forget that the moon (or other gravity well) not only pulls the nearest surface of the body more than it pulls the center, but also pulls the center more than the furthest surface. That's why there is also a high tide on the side of the planet away from the gravity well.