1. sereda008

sereda008 Member

Has this been done before?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by sereda008, Jul 16, 2010.

So, here's the deal.
    I am writing this novel and would like to know if this kind of think was written about before. Please do not tell me about the exorcist or something like that because that is completely different.
    Plesae do NOT copy my ideas:(!
    The main character, Vladislav moarte, is an assasin and is told to kill a weathy man called Jacob, who is living in the Mossquidelle mansion located in a large forest beside Vladislav's home. So Vladislav sets out to do his job but when he reaches his target, a series of deceptions leave Jacob lying dead in the forest (His associates have killed him). When vladislav goes to check Jacob's pulse, the man suddenly jumps up and sdespite being nearly cut in half grabs Vladislav by the throat. After some more story Vladislav finds that Jacob had a demon inside of him, and finally after a great struggle he decides to kill Jacob. JUst before his death, he warns Vladislav that he might be unable to control the force of the demon, which then entered Vladislav's body after Jacob's death. The rest of the story is about VLadislav seeking for help to get rid of the demon which tries to control him. At the end, he creates a parralel dimension in the town of Amneswill (In USA, fictional of course), dies and leaves the demon trapped there. He and the Demon had been one for so long that the Demon has inherited Vladislav's mind, so, it basically becomes an evil version of Vladislav.
    The book starts afteranother book I have planned for, where a woman bcomes the demon a long time ago, and ends creating the story for my plannes book Amnesvill. I could go on and on about he connections of my planned books (They are all set in the same world) but I wont.
    Again , DO NOT use my ideas please!:mad:

This is only a small part of the story (I am still planning) but has anything like this ever benn attempted before and do you think this is a good plan?

I forgot to mention that the story is set in 1964 so there is plenty of room for more ideas and books.
    Please do not use my ideas!

2. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

Sounds good. But no idea if it's been done before. Saying that though, someone once said, there are no new ideas, only re-interpretations of those ideas.

Dunno, who said that either.

I am coming across as not knowing anything, so I will leave it at that and toddle off ...

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

4. Tamsin

Tamsin New Member

All of it of course has been done before. That shouldn't stop you writing it though. I would suggest changing the name of the place though - it sounds too similar to Amityville.

All plot ideas have been done before in some form or another, it is your style and characters that will set it apart from the rest.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

For me it reads a bit like Nancy Drew, and Scooby meet Amityville horror. Thats not a bad thing. Personally I find a story that is trying too hard to be completely original just ends up being weird.

6. sereda008

sereda008 Member

I know.

Yes, I have read your orginal post.

7. sereda008

sereda008 Member

Ok, I'm not trying to be original at all, it would just be good to know that a story like that was never created before, and I am aware of the Amityville horror (The name rested in my subconscious mind before and is the reason my brain came up with Amnesvill). There are a few important things that I forgot to mention, like that a number of religious and satanic guilds a looking forward to conquering/destroying the demonic power in Vladislav.

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

You need to stop worrying about whether the concept is novel or not. Most likely, it is not. There are so many stories out there that it is likely people have done things very similar to what you propose here.

But you don't have to come up with a completely novel, never-before-thought-of, story idea.

If you want to write this story, you need to concentrate on doing the best job with it you can. Make it a compelling story with intriguing characters and engaging writers that readers enjoy reading and can't get enough of, and you'll have a successful story on your hands whether it has been done before or not.

9. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

I'd say most everything if not everything has been done before. Your voice as writer is what makes it unique.