1. Mr Vampyre

Mr Vampyre New Member

What and Why?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Mr Vampyre, Dec 31, 2008.

Two questions:

What happened to the sticky in this forum about the publication process?

Why isn't there sticky here about manuscript format?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't recall that sticky, but it may have been a victim of the recent software problems, if it existed at all.

As for manuscript format, it does vary a bit from publisher to publisher, but there are certainly some good common guidelines. Generally we've suggested checking out the publishers' websites, but I agree that a reference post with the most common manuscript conventions would be a worthwhile addition.

3. Mr Vampyre

Mr Vampyre New Member

It was definately here. It must have been lost. I can't remember who wrote it now but it contained bits and bobs such as writing a summary of the novel for the publisher to read and so on. I'm working off memory here which isn't my strongest asset, but someone must remember it.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

this is the best reference for ms format standards:
    http://www.shunn.net/format/

5. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Good link mammamaia...just added it to my favorites...thanks.

6. Mr Vampyre

Mr Vampyre New Member

See. That's what I'm talking about. Right there.

*blows a kiss*

7. mammamaia

please, v, not in public!

8. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Did you just make a pass at maia? :D

Good link, maia...thanks!

9. Mr Vampyre

Mr Vampyre New Member

Getting back to the subject though I do think a sticky would be a good idea. I understand different publishers have different requirements but there are some unilateral rules, surely?

Maia's link is great, don't get me wrong but...maybe that should be part of a sticky too? I'll leave it to the writingforum Gods to decide. Just my thoughts anyway.

10. mammamaia

i'm sure you meant 'universal' not 'unilateral' rules, so i'll answer your question as if you did, v...

the site i posted the link for IS a demonstration of those 'universal'/'usual' rules... for the 'unilateral' ones, you'll have to check each publisher's guidelines for the specific-to-them exceptions to the rule....

and i think the mods did add that link to a sticky one of the many other times i provided it...

11. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

maia, I do remember that link your provided being sticked once before actually. Can't remember where though.

That thread the poster mentioned was here, but as Cogito has stated, I think it became a victim of the site problem recently. Though when I last read it, I felt it needed updating as there were things in there that I myself had noted, writers were told 'not' to do and most publishers out there I have stumbled across, actually did require those things to be done. And I am pretty certain is was either idianajoan (sorry if i spelt the name incorrectly) or Whispwillow that initially posted the thread.

But the best thing to do is to check out the publishers submitting requirements as they are not always the same and it really is the best way to find out how to submit. If you ever have questions about the submission process, or become confused about requirements, you can always post up a question about it and I am sure that anyone who has been published before will be more than happy to help out if they can.