1. Kimi-chan

Kimi-chan New Member

How many more posts?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Kimi-chan, Nov 23, 2011.

How many more posts do I need to post in the short stories section? I thought it was 20 posts and I have over 20 posts already but I still can't post there...

I don't get how the process works before I am able to post. D: It doesn't make sense to me. Does it mean like the 14 days you are here too? I'm confused about how it works...

2. Bob Magness

Bob Magness New Member

Have you posted at least two substantive reviews of other members' work yet?

3. FoxPaw

FoxPaw New Member

You need two critiques, and I think there was a two-week waiting period? I think I remember seeing that in either Banzai's welcoming post, or the forum rules post.

4. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Just two. not hard, just make sure they are actual reviews instead of rushed posts.

5. Kimi-chan

Kimi-chan New Member

Yeah... but see... I'm not very good at critiques or reviews. I have a hard time with those specifics and all that.

6. Bob Magness

Bob Magness New Member

Critiquing is just like any other kind of writing; it takes practice to improve. Nobody expects a professional level critique. Just write what you liked about the piece and what you thought needed some improvement. That is if you want others here to critique your work. They won't make any exceptions to that rule.

7. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

This is exactly right. If you expect people to read and review your work, you need to read and review there. It's a give-and-take policy.

8. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Re: Account Activation?

Originally Posted by RusticOnion

Hey Banzi, as I am new I may have missed something, but I'm pretty sure I should be eligible for account activation and use of the Writing Workshop my reasoning is the following:

I have over 40 posts.

I've been an active part of the comunity for over 14 days

And I've done critques on the following
    https://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=47915
    https://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=38200
    https://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=47253

Is there a reason that I cannot use to writing workshop for nothing but critiques? If so I apologise for wasting your time.

Banzi's response:

No, there's not a reason. Not a logical one, at least. There are some ongoing problems with a plugin on the site which, since the upgrade, is doing this intermittently to some members. Daniel is working on fixing it, but at the moment it looks like he needs to hire a programmer to fix it.

In the meantime, my advice is to keep trying to post. It is often an intermittent problem, and you may find that you are able to post somewhen later.

Sorry about this, but I hope that helps to clarify

Banzai

9. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

RusticOnion, it's true that there is an ongoing, intermittent problem with the plugin. But that was not Kimi-chan's problem in this case. Rather she hadn't met the review requirements.

Kimi-chan: The idea is not that you will know all of the answers of how to fix a piece. The idea is to give examples of what you did and (more importantly) didn't like , and suggestions of how you might go about fixing them. The whole point (aside from ensuring that everyone contributes as much as they receive) is to improve editing and troubleshooting skills which you can then put to your own work. Don't think of it as a chore to be done, but as an improvement exercise every bit as important as getting feedback on your work.

10. Kimi-chan

Kimi-chan New Member

Yeah... I get that... its just... I'm not good at giving them, mostly because I don't know very much about grammar or... what another person's story needs... that kind of thing. I actually lack in terms of abstract thinking, problem solving and executive functioning. So even if I did write critiques, all I could say was how good it was and I wouldn't be able to give a reason to why I liked it or why I didn't like... I even tried to read some of the stuff here, even in my basic field of interests as an autistic... and I just couldn't grasp those kind of questions for a story... even when I read other reviews... I couldn't even get ideas from there. It's like my mind just blanks out.

11. Pea

Pea super pea!

You get better as you practice. I was hopeless in the beginning too. I think reviewing/critiquing is an extremely useful skill for all writers, because it allows you to see the strengths and weaknesses in your own writing also. Just keep trying.