1. Archammer

Archammer New Member

A look back

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Archammer, Jun 22, 2008.

I often do most of my writing very late at night, and then when I wake up the next morning I take a look at it and it never really looks right. I do this all the time. I will right something and then the next day it always looks like garbage.

The main problem I have is the more I try to rewrite it or edit it, the more I like the original version. I do it over and over again and nearly always decide it was best the first time.

Anyone else have similar problems?

2. Sato Ayako

Sato Ayako New Member

Yup, all the time. I find it so hard to change my work because of it. So here's what I do:

1. Create a file for story(ies) on my laptop
    2. Create a file for story(ies) on my jumpdrive

I always keep the original of the story on my laptop and any edits on my jumpdrive.

Sometimes the story was the best the first time you wrote it. Some writers are tempted to tinker with something, even if it works, because they're under the impression that almost nothing in a first draft will work because of how much stress is put on editing and revision. The best way to discover if something works they way it is is to have it reviewed. If you can't do that, then the next best way is to leave your work totally alone for no fewer than three days, then read it aloud to yourself.

3. Firefly

Firefly Member

I go through that same thing. Sato gave good advice, though. I find that if I wait a few days and come back to the story, it doesn't seem so bad.

Good luck! ;)