Tags:
  1. seta

seta New Member

Revision Time!

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by seta, Aug 18, 2009.

Perhaps this belongs in General Writing or some other forum - but I'm about to begin the revision process of my first novel. I'm about 2.5 chapters away from completion.

One of my college friends said that her creative writing teacher said that you should wait at least a month after finishing a work to revise it.

Is this true?

Part of me understands it since your subconscious will continue to analyze and remember things that you wrote and your mind's perception of the story will ferment. Therefore, when you revisit it, you may have a clearer view as to what the story should be at certain points.

Any ideas and/or feedback on how some people proceed from here?

2. IBelieveICanFly

IBelieveICanFly New Member

I wrote a good part of my novel (it's not done) by hands and I was too lazy to type it. When I finally got myself to do it, I didn't have the book because a friend borrowed it and... it completely changed! The story is more concistent...

So I advise you wait a bit and then see...

3. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

I don't know if you have to wait a month, it probably really depends on you.

Trying to do a first edit on a newly drafted novel is hard right after you finish, because you will still be firmly attached to the story. If you give yourself a little breathing time, work on some new ideas, and let the finished story ferment, then go back to start the first edit; you will be able to cut parts that don't need to be there ruthlessly, and you will see the flaws and plot mishaps more readily.

If you start right away after finishing it will be difficult to judge with a clear eye what does and doesn't need to be there. Everything will seem important and that it must stay, or can't be changed. But, giving yourself some distance from the work can give you a clearer head to start the cannibalizing of your story.

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

It's a good idea to wait a little while. It gives you time to let things sink in and make sure you made all the right choices. You're also less emotionally attached, so you are more able to look at what you did wrong objectively.

5. Demief

Demief New Member

As far as i'm aware, you should leave it for a two-week minimum, yet continue writing another piece straight after you have finished your piece. This is because your creative juices are flowing and it will stop you becoming too obsessed with your first piece. Then after a month or so, start revising.

6. seta

seta New Member

okay. that sounds good!

I just started writing the second-to-last chapter, the epic battle. I am quite thrilled with it. I was composing the admiral's final speech just before the battle this morning and I got chills! This is so freaking exciting!

Unfortunately I can't finish tonight because I have class and work tomorrow! :(

7. Could it also depend on how long it has taken you to write it? If you wrote the first five chapters a while ago, maybe if you revised straight away it will be the same because you have not seen the first quarter of you work in a while...?