Tags:
  1. miasmatic7

miasmatic7 New Member

Would like a suggestion regarding a plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by miasmatic7, Apr 30, 2009.

Hey everyone,

I have been toying around with the idea of writing about same sex couples and adoption for some time. The amount of research needed to do the theme justice has been truly challenging but that is not the reason why I am typing up this thread.

Let me give you a very very brief prècis of what the story is about - a famous same sex couple come out in the open, reception is strong on both sides and they get married, settle down in Spain (which is the only country to my knowledge that does not discern between same-sex marriage and same-sex adoption) and adopt a child. Things start out well but eventually takes a turn for the worst (both of them succumbing to external pressure perhaps) and it leads to one of them leaving. So the other character ends up raising the child as a single parent. This is just a rough sketch of what I want to do with the story. Of course I would like to magnify my focus on societal perception of such a couple, their lifestyle choices as well as the kind of effect (probably detrimental?) it will have on their child. I am just beginning with the planning stage.

Anecdotes aside, what I'd like to know is how should I begin the story. I have been toying around with two options.

1. Begin with the two main characters - how they meet, get together (which I suspect is going to focus a lot on their relationship, keeping it closeted from immediate friends and families and then finally coming out etc) and let the story take off from there.

Or.

2. Write it from the perspective of the character who raises his daughter - years later he is at her house visiting, she is married with a family. This I think will come across as a recollection of things, events that have shaped both of their lives, how things fell apart etc. (This opening is inspired by Jhumpa Lahiri's short stories collection Unaccustomed Earth - the first story, although they are completely unrelated beyond the father visiting his daughter's family bit)

Which opening do you think I should go ahead with? Much thanks in advance. :)

2. That Silly Welsh Guy

That Silly Welsh Guy New Member

I think you should go with with Option 2 as a matter of personally preference because it gives you scope to not feel restricted by the linear nature of a novel told in the style of Option 1, and that would mean you'd be able to write down a fully fledged scene in it's own right and then piece it all together that, which would help to authenticate the feel of recollections. But like I say, that's my personal preference. My advice is go with what you're comfortable with: are you better telling a story through the past tense for the most part (through flashbacks)? Or do you think you could construct what you want to construct by using the present tense and building the story up to a climax.

Reading, back over that - it sounds a bit all over the place. I hope it makes sense and was of a help? :)

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

first sounds deadly dull, pedestrian... second has some pizzazz and will draw the readers in by making them want to know what went on before, instead of just dumping it all on them chronologically...

4. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

I'd have to agree...the 2nd option definitely seems more appealing than the first.

~Lynn

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

Mmmhmm, definitely number two, but I have to say, if you're planning on focussing on social prejudice against same-sex adoption and the associated social difficulties, Spain probably isn't the best place to do it...as you point out yourself, they're a very forward-thinking, tolerant country...try Cali :D

6. miasmatic7

miasmatic7 New Member

Hey guys! Thanks for the tips! I'll go with number 2 because I did some thinking on it and like you guys pointed out, it definitely sets the tone better.

And arron89, the reason I chose to set it in spain is because they legally allow same sex couples to adopt children but of course the prejudice is still there. I'm not sure if Cali allows them to legally adopt. Would love some info if you have any. :D But thanks for pointing that out. Appreciate it a lot!

7. architectus

architectus Banned

End, but when I was reading what the nove is about, I thought you should start with them in spain right when the trouble begins.

Then slowly explain through backstory how they got in that situation. But starting with them in spain, trying to work out their problems sounds like a fun read.