Rhapsody (Fantasy)

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Oasis Writer, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

The Sound of Chimes--Adrastus:Mission Two: Part One

It had been seventeen years since Adrastus had last seen the golden halls of Zoran, the Fortress of Dawn. Adrastus remembered it being bigger somehow, more grand. Perhaps it was just that had been smaller, less attentive to the small things as opposed to the picture as a whole. Perhaps it was the vastness of the world he now knew existed outside the walls that made the place seem smaller. He couldn't say for sure. In those days, the towering gates of the place had seemed huge and impenetrable, as if nothing in the world could ever break them down. Back then, the warriors of his youth seemed to have been chiseled from stone. Adrastus could remember waking up to the sound of chimes.

Things seemed to have changed during his long absence. Those grand gates that had held back hordes were cracked and splintered now, ages of mountain wind and rain finally taking their toll. The warriors that called the place home were so distant from the sentinels he had remembered them to be, but that was only to be expected. They were aged men now, and Adrastus knew he could probably take on any three of them at once and come out unharmed. The one thing that still remained untouched by time were the chimes. Seventeen years had come and gone, but the sound of chimes in the wind still woke him from even the deepest sleep.

Slowly, tentatively, Adrastus eased his eyes open and was greeted by the gentle rays of the sun as they filtered through the gray clouds and shined into the window of the small but lavish room he had been placed in. For a time, he just stared up into the clouds, his dark eyes seemingly searching for something. Whatever it was, no answer came.

Adrastus became acutely aware of his injuries as he tried to sit up. Pain shot through his shoulders, his leg, and his arm. The wounds had all been sutured and bandaged, a cool salve applied to ease the pain a little. Doing his best to ignore it, Adrastus threw the light silk sheets to the side and swung his legs over the edge of the bed. On the ornate dresser someone had placed a set of neatly folded clothes and a pair of dress boots. It was all silk, and all of it was embroidered with the crest of Zoran and the Aleksandr clan, a sword stabbing down through the rising sun. He limped over to them and put them on. It felt odd to him, wearing the garb of nobility after so many years in either armor or travel gear. After he had dressed himself, Adrastus limped doggedly out into the hall.

To either side of Adrastus, massive stone columns rose up into the darkness and connected with the high ceiling. On the towering stone walls hung tapestries depicting epic battles or mighty warriors of the past. Among those might warriors depicted was none other than Adrastus' own father, Gunvor Aleksander. Adrastus stared at that noble visage for quite some time before he realized someone was standing right next to him. It was the reflection from earlier.

"You know father thought you would never come back. He was convinced you had turned your back on the clan. I knew you would come back though."

Veli Aleksandr, Adrastus' younger brother was the spitting image of Adrastus. Right down to the stormy eyes, Veli was the same. The only real difference between them was that Veli had what it took to be a great Clan Lord like their father, Adrastus did not. He may have been better with a blade than his brother, more skilled at commanding armies, but his little brother had the kind of heart it took to be strong in the face of overwhelming odds. Adrastus did not believe he had that quality in himself.

"I did not come back of my own volition."

Veli nodded and stared up at the tapestries with Adrastus for a long while. After a time he spoke again.

"Do you remember the story of Aethelstan? Father once told us of him. Aethelstan was a wanderer and a warrior. They say none could match his skill with the blade. One day, Aethelstan was resting in the woods near a river when he was beset upon by a masked fighter. Aethelstan fought long and hard against his assailant to no avail. The warrior matched him blow for blow. Even though Aethelstan was the most skilled in the land, he could not outlast his opponent and was eventually driven back into the river. The warrior could have killed him then and there, but only knocked him out instead. The waters swept him away and carried him far. When he came to, he was back in his seaside village. The place was being attacked by corsairs, raiders from the far corners of the world where no man has ever set foot. Aethelstan fought back the corsairs and saved his village and his family. They say Aethelstan never left the place again." Veli turned to Adrastus. "I don't know what you have been through, brother, but it is no mistake that you have come back to us now. Father is dyeing."

Adrastus felt as though he had been punched in the stomach.

"Dyeing? What? How?"

"Malnarcosus attacks the fortress every day, and every day we lose some of our number to their siege tools. Any day now we will run out of supplies. Father gathered the best of our men and charged in an effort to break their ranks. He took an arrow just below his heart. Many good men died trying to carry him back."

Adrastus gulped, his mind racing but still at the same time.

"Take me to him."

The fire burned low in the room of Gunvor Aleksandr. He was no longer the man Adrastus had seen in the tapestries. This creature was withered and frail. He looked as if he could barely lift a sword. His breathing was hoarse and shallow. Those wool blankets seemed to engulf him. Empty was the only way Adrastus could explain the feeling that was in him. Veli had stepped out of the room and closed the door. Adrastus pulled up a chair and sat next to the bed of his dying father. For a long time everything was quiet.

"Adrastus, my son. You mother...would have loved to see... how you've grown," grated Gunvor in between hoarse breaths."

Adrastus gripped his father's hand but did not say a word. Now was not the time for words.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    End Part One

2. Milady

Milady Active Member

Second part of M2

From this side of it, the days until the journey seemed like an eternity. Sare figured she’d spend them stumbling around the camp, leaning against Karell’s spear like a walking stick.

At first she’d been pleasantly surprised by the grass. In the valley, there had been nothing but sparse, coarse weeds cropping up among the rocks and roots. In the city at Greava, the ground had been carpeted not with lush greenery but with stones and dirt roads. The grass here smelled sweet and felt soft under her hands, the dew-wet blades tickling her bare feet.

After spending her first few moments of freedom contemplating the field’s flooring, she began to think: What now? She knew she couldn’t make it alone back to Greava. Her traveler’s spear was useless, and though she reasoned that Greava was west, across the valley, she was just as likely to be absolutely wrong.

Darren said that the army itself would soon be on the move, though. And if they could get her any closer to Greava, to Evan and Adelaide and her parents whom she’d abandoned, then she would stay with them. But for now she had time to kill.

She wandered up and down the rows of tents. Some of them were empty, their tenants gone to training, but others housed curious soldiers. She noticed that all of them were male. What? Didn’t women fight? But then it occurred to her that any women soldiers would have a separate camp. That made sense. She even thought about searching them out, but she decided that she needed to stay as close as possible to Darren and Karell’s tent, and to familiar faces.

After assuring herself that she could find her way back to the tent, she ventured farther away from the sleeping quarters and toward the community tents. She’d been warned well away from a so-called “pleasure” tent, and the way Karell had said it reminded her of the vulgar whisperings around the fire in Haven Valley that she hadn’t been supposed to hear. She curled her fingers tighter around her spear and appraised the nearest booth.

It didn’t look dangerous, and when she saw a couple of young women stroll in, each bearing a soldier’s pack and shaved heads, Sare followed after.

The tent was large and airy and housed a row of tables, some of which were occupied by suspicious card games. A salty, succulent scent grabbed Sare by the stomach and reeled her in. She realized it had been at least two whole days since she’d last eaten, back before Ethan and the pub and everything after. And that was assuming that the nothingness time had taken no time at all. She sidled up to the source of the smell, which turned out to be a muscle-bound, broad-shouldered, motherly sort of woman and a food-encrusted cookpot.

“Well, hello, child,” the large woman said. “It’s not quite dinnertime yet, but are you hungry?”

Sare nodded. The woman smiled and spooned out a milky stew-broth into a tin bowl. She handed it and a spoon to Sare and gestured at a little stool behind her. “Sit here, child, out of the way. The others will be jealous.”

Sare did as she was told, laying her spear across her knees before spooning some of the precious liquid into her mouth. Funny, but she didn’t know what type of meat it was. It tasted nothing like the small game or occasional hart used for such a purpose back at the valley. She hoped fervently that her parents were somewhere, eating just as well as she.

After she had eaten it all, the cook took the bowl, dunked it once in a nearby washbasin, and stacked it with the clean dishes nearby.

“So, dearie, what’s your name?” Cook asked

“Sare,” Sare told her, and suddenly she was telling the whole story, in whispered tones. Everything that had happened to her since hearing that horrible noise and grabbing Evan’s arm. Well, almost everything. She left out the bit about the nothingness, and she gave only the least amount of details on the Bad Ones that she could get away with. After all, she supposedly had something in common with them.

Oddly, the Cook seemed intrigued not with the incident at Greava but with Sare’s life in Haven Valley.

“So you were abandoned?” she asked, righting a sagging stack of dishes.

“Yeah, right in the worst part.”

“Lucky, then, aren’t you?”

“I always have been,” Sare said. “I ’member one time, couple years ago, that my friend Bardo and I were playing up on the rocks, by the cliff… We fell off. Bardo broke his arm and two ribs. I bruised my elbow.”

“Do you know why this is?”

“Not really,” Sare said. It wasn’t a lie, but she couldn’t help but think about the Voice’s accusations.

“You’re a special child, Sare,” the Cook said. “It’s been a while since I’ve seen children. You know, I was a teacher once.”

“What’d you teach?” Sare asked. Her one experience with a teacher was the Old One from a neighboring tribe. He’d told them stories.

“Reading, writing. You know.” Seeing Sare’s blank look, she said, “Don’t you?”

Sare shook her head. Cook suddenly reached out and grabbed the spear from her lap. Sare clutched it tightly, looking suspiciously up at the older woman. The Cook just smiled and, allowing Sare to keep a grip on the weapon, scratched a rune into the dirt.

“This,” she said, “is the letter ‘a’.”

. . .​

Evening came before Sare knew it. The evening crowd came in, larger and more rowdy than at lunch. Sare accepted another bowl of broth and stayed afterwards to help Cook with the dishes. Soon after the majority of soldiers leaked out to find other things to do, the flaps of the tent burst in and Darren thundered through them.

The first part of him Sare recognized was his voice. “Anyone seen the Poppet?” he said loudly, eyeing the rows of tables at the back.

“I have,” Sare offered. Darren turned toward her and grinned.

“Good place for you, Poppet. Wanna come home with me, or stay here with the cook?”

In the end, Sare followed Darren back to the tent. Only, she told herself, so that she could do her work in peace without Cook looking over her shoulder. Cook had assigned her homework—learning to spell her own name. Seated in the tent, Sare took out the slip of paper with SARE printed on it and dutifully copied the runes into the earth.

SARE.

sAre.

SaRe.

Sare-child.

The next two days went by in much the same fashion. Darren and Karell left early in the morning for drills on the far side of the field. Sare wandered the rows of tents, dragging her loaned spear behind her. At about noon, she went to the cafeteria tent to eat and for her lessons. She was a quick study, and could spell her own name now without the slip. Still, she found the prospect of actual reading daunting. After supper she rejoined Darren and Karell at the tent. After Sare had learned so quickly to spell her name, Cook hadn’t assigned anymore homework. Instead, she had spear lessons with Karell or just stretched happily out on her little sackcloth bed.

Karell didn’t understand why the spear’s magic didn’t work for her. It spun for him just as easily as ever. “You just have to visualize it,” he repeated. “If you want it bad enough, it’ll show you the way.”

But still, whenever she asked it the way back to her parents and the others at Greava, it plunged helplessly into the dirt.

And then came the morning of the fourth day.

-----------
    Explain some of your strengths (Five dialogued lines)

Mission Two Complete... ;)

3. Bick

Bick New Member

“Addy.” I felt a small hand grasp my arm, “Addy!”

My eyes slowly opened, and I pulled myself into a sitting position, tossing the blankets off me.

“What’s wrong Natty?” I said pulling him onto my lap. His eyes were dark, and his face wet and red from crying.

“Oh, nothing!” He said, quickly looking away and wiping his face furiously with hands.

I frowned, “You sure?”

He smiled, nodded his head then jumped from my lap.

“You hungry?” I asked, getting up and stretching my wings cautiously, making sure not to hit anything in the small room.

“Yeah!” He said with enthusiasm.

I quickly put my cloak on. Hand in hand we walked out of the empty pub, and out into the street. The sun shone brightly at the highest point in the sky.

“We sure slept a long time didn’t we?” I grinned, “Noon already!”
    “We sure did!” He laughed.

We trudged forward going past various homes, and soldiers, yet very few civilians. We turned the corner onto another street, the one I had seen the bakery on the day before. I could smell the delicious sweets and baked goods as we came closer to the building. The bakery looked like most of the other buildings, wood siding and a hay roof, except for the table and chair that stood just outside next to the sign that read “Bakery”.

We walked in, and the aroma of the baking goods became much stronger. I could feel the saliva building up in my mouth as we walked up to the wooden counter.

“What can I get you?” said the woman.

“I’d like a loaf of bread and a sweet for the child.” I said pulling out my coin purse.

“That’ll be two silver pieces and one bronze.” she said as she went into the back. I pulled the coins from my coin purse and slide them on the counter. I looked down and smiled as I saw the bright grin on Nathaniel’s face.

“A sweet for me?” He asked.

“Yes, a sweet for the sweetest little boy I know.” I cooed. He laughed. A few moments later the woman came back with a loaf of bread and a large cookie wrapped up in a paper.

I quickly grabbed the loaf, sliding it into my satchel and handed him the cookie. He greedily took a bite and gave a face of pure pleasure as we walked out, and sat at the table in the front of the building.

I quickly took the bread from the bag. The warmth felt nice on my cold hands. I looked at the child, his clothes had many holes in them and his jacket barely covered him. I tore the bread in half, giving him the bigger half. He quickly began to gorge on the bread, not saying a word to me. I just smiled, and slowly ate the fresh, warm bread.

“We should buy you a new winter jacket today.” I suggested. He looked at me, a mouthful of bread.

“Wearly?” he said, and I stifled a laughed as a few chunks of bread fell out mouth.

“That’s really gross Natty.” I said, pulling off part of my bread and handing it to him, “We’ll have to teach you some table manners.” He turned red, and grabbed the piece of bread. He quickly swallowed the bread that was in his mouth.

“Sorry.” He said, turning his head down in shame.

“Nothing to be ashamed of,” I said rolling the paper into a ball, and tossing it in the waste-basket near the table, “You didn’t know.” He smiled weakly, eating the bread in smaller bites.

Suddenly the sound of marching, chains and yelling was heard from behind us. I quickly turned around, seeing a couple dozen soldiers surrounding a chained prisoner, walking down the street. Nathaniel watched in amazement, his mouth open in awe, the half-chewed bread still in his mouth. I stood up, nodding at the dark man I had seen before. He smiled back at me, and continued forward. I strained my eyes to see the prisoner in between the mass of soldiers, and my heart skipped. I thought I had seen my Uncle. He had looked older, and was quite beaten up, but it had to of been him. The soldiers turned the corner, and I stumbled after them.

“Come Natty!” I said, not taking the chance to look back. I followed the soldiers as they turned corners and went down different streets, with Nathan holding my hand. The soldiers finally stopped in front of what appeared to be a prison. I held my breath as we hid behind a tree. It had to of been him. My heart pounded fiercely.

“Why are we following them Addy?” whispered Nathaniel. I looked down at him and smiled weakly.

“Just a game.” I said ruffling his hair up. He smiled, and we began to walk back down the street.

“I saw a tailor just down this street.” I said. He quickly looked up at me and smiled.

“A new Jacket!” he cheered. I smiled at him, and we walked towards the tailor shop.

-----------------------------​
    I smiled as Nathaniel hugged his new leather jacket in his sleep. I had bought him new clothes, which he had chosen a cotton leaf green material for. He beamed with happiness when he had finally put them on, and had greeted me with many hugs and kisses of gratitude. I couldn’t lie, it had felt good.

I took the parcel that contained my new arrows, I had bought half a dozen more after losing quite a few in the battle from before. I opened it, the new wood feeling good on my fingers. I placed them in their carrier. She quickly put on my cloak, as well as my carrier, satchel, belt, dagger and my bow in their place. I patted Nathaniel on the head and headed out the door, locking it behind me. I went down the steps to the pub. It was full of chattering men, and smelled of booze. I quickly walked over to the bartender, who was also the owner of the pub.

“Could you watch those steps for me?” I asked. He nodded and I quickly walked out the door. The streets were quiet, and the moonlight my way as I headed towards the prison. I walked briskly, tightening my cloak around my shivering body. It was a cold night.

I stopped at the street just across the prison, first hiding behind a tree, looking at the guards. What would I say to them?

“Oh hello. I think I saw a man that might have been my Uncle in your custody? Can you unchain him and let him run off with me back home?” I thought to myself with a bitter laugh. I began to pace back and forth, thinking of ways to do what I needed to do.

Suddenly a hand touched my shoulder and I turned around quickly my hand going for my dagger instinctively.

“Are you all right my dear?” Asked a man, clothed in robes with red and black-striped hair. His voice was calming, and I quickly took my hand off my dagger, relaxing my stance.

“Ye-yeah.” I said, biting my lip, “Just trying to figure out how I’m going to get in there.” I said pointing to the prison.

“Why’s that?” He asked.

“I think I saw them take my uncle into that prison, and I have to see him.” I said, my heart racing.

“Hmm.” He said, “Hold on.” He walked off slowly, and stopped by the guards at the gate. He talked to them for a few minutes, though I couldn’t hear what was being said. He suddenly turned my way, and waved for me to come his way. I ran over, my heart lightening up.

“You can go in now.” He said.

“Thank you so much!” I said, giving him a quick hug. I ran through the door, and stopped in front of the first cell. My face turned grim as I looked at the two men sitting in there. The men that had killed Odell.

“It’s her.” Said the one that still had his eye site. As I walked past them, coming up the last cell.

“Adelle?” said an ever familiar voice. My eyes teared up, as my uncle came to the bars, his clothes in rags.

“Thomas, that is you?” I said, coming closer to the cell.

“Yes!” he said, crying and reaching out for me. My hand came to his, and we awkwardly hugged through the bars.

“Why are you in here?” I asked through tears.

“First. Where did you go after the attack on the town?” he asked sternly.

“I’m not really sure myself.” I said, holding onto his hand, “But Thomas, what happened?”

“I joined the rebellion after you left.” He said, slightly beaming, “And I ended up getting caught by the Military.”

“What does that mean for you Uncle?” I said, biting my lip.

“Death.” He said with a frown, “My execution is tomorrow.”

My heart raced and tears flooded.

“But, no!” I said through my tears. I fell to the ground, and he patted my back.

“I’m sorry Addy, for all that I’ve done to you.” He said, “I’m paying for all the bad that I did now.” He said, sadness all over his face. My tears slowly faded.

“I’m sorry, for taking your parents from you Addy.” He said finally, tears now falling down his face.

“I never deserved your love.”

I lifted myself up, and placed my hands on his face, “Yes you do.”

“Addy. There is a house, it’s on the left of the bakery.” He said, “There is a man there named Gregory, through him you can join the rebellion.” I looked at him, not sure why he wanted to me join such a group.

“That’s things about the Military that would chill your bones Adelle.” He said, “Join, and do what’s right, even though for all those years I couldn’t.”

“Miss. Visiting hours are over, you really need to leave.” I heard a voice say. It turned around, and looked at the guard.

“Uncle, I love you.” I said, tears running down my face, “I’ll do as you wish.”

“I love you too Addy,” His eyes full of tears, “Live a good life.” Our hands parted, as the soldier led the way from the room. My body shook as I sobbed uncontrollably.
    The man from before stood next to one of the guards.

“Thank you, again.” I said through tears. I quickly ran back towards the pub, the tears and agony flowing like a river.

4. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

One moment I was asleep, the next I was on my feet being mainly supported by the strong grip of the man who had saved me. "Come on wake up." He said firmly and I yawned and took my own weight. "Good, I did not introduce myself yesterday because I figured you needed the sleep, but the names Sharn, until you leave here I expect to be called master." My eyes narrowed, I realized I still had a hold of my new weapons. "Calm down. Master as in teacher I've told you once I don't want a slave." He explained and I let out a long sigh.

"Oh." I managed embarrassed. "I am Drake."

"Good, now that we know each other lets have breakfast." He said cheerfully.

Breakfast was toast and scrambled eggs, with fresh squeezed juice from some fruit i'd never heard of. It was quick and silent as I ignored his amused grin as I dug into the food hungrily. Once over he stood up and his whole presence seemed to increase. "Time to start your training." He anounced.

"Yes master." I said obediently.

5. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

I folloed him out front where he'd bought me yesterday and motioned for me to set my weapons on a rake he had brought out. I obeyed. "Keep the short sword." He said as I went too put them both down. I did and turned to see him sitting on the ground, he motioned for me to sit. "The wakisashi will act as your long sword until you grow into the katana." He explained apausing for me to nod. "Ok, I've chosen you to train for one reason," He motioned towards his heart. "You have a strong an fierce soul, the soul of a survivor and the winner is always the survivor." His voice remained calm but strong as if he had merely stated a fact. "

6. Terra Valentine

Terra Valentine New Member

Mission 2: Desires, rebels, and a way out.

I awoke the next day at around noon. The sky was overcast.... Again. I was sick of the cloudy weather, but knew it was for the best. I couldn't risk attracting much attention to myself. I didn't want to risk dying, either. I had never been out in the sun for more than a few seconds since my transformation, but I had never noticed any pain when I had. Perhaps the sun didn't do anything to me, but was it really worth the risk?

No. Not now anyway. Not when people needed my help out there. My motivation was re-sparked for a moment, but it quickly died when the barkeep stuck his head in my room.

"Good mornin', Lass!" He called bouyantly. His face carried a huge grin and his eyes sparkled. This was quite the change from the night previous.

"Morning," I mumbled. My nap was full of tossing and turning and I was awakened numerous times during the few hours I had slept. I was tired and, suprisingly, thirsty again.

"Laura's here. I thought you'd like to know. She's waitin' down at the bar fer ya."

"Thanks," He grinned and shut the door.

It was cold. Even with the long cloak wrapped around my shoulders I could feel winter in the air and that wasn't normal. The weather was usually nicer than this around this time of year and temperatures remained fairly decent on the island. Soemthing to do with the air over the oceans affecting the temp. I stood and proceeded down to the bar.

It was crowded in the small inn. All the tables were occupied and only a few chairs were left abandoned. There were a couple of spaces still available at the bar. One of them next to Laura. I took that one. She didn't look at me when I sat next to her; Just continued to stare into her empty glass.

"Luara," I said looking away from her to the wall opposite.

"Naomi," She replied glancing at me quickly out of the corner of her eye.

"How have you been?" I asked after a slight pause, trying to keep conversation friendly and light. It didn't seem she wanted it that way, though.

"Fine," she said curtly. She motioned for the Barkeep to refill her glass.

"Anything new?" She didn't say anything. I rolled my eyes and turned away facing the person next to me. It was a young girl, maybe nineteen or twenty, talking to a man on her right. Her blood smelled superfluous and I wondered shortly why I gave it up in the first place (disregarding this morning's slip). I turned back to Laura and was startled to see she was glaring at me intently.

"Laura? What's wrong?" Her eyes were dark; Filled with hate. She glanced around the pub.

"Not here." She whispered so that it was barely audible over the neighboring voices and, to me, thoughts. I couldn't focus in on her 'voice' and this made me curious of what could possibly be wrong, especially on Kuon Island. She grabbed my arm and attempted to pull me through the door. It was like pulling a marble stone figure.

"Sorry," I said and followed her outside to the back of the inn.

She wouldn't face me when we got outside. She spoke with her back to me.

"So," She tried to begin and I could hear the sadness coupled with the beginnings of tears in her voice. I flashed to her front and took her face in my cold, white hands forcing her eyes to meet mine.

"What's wrong?" She didn't answer and frustration was beginning to boil inside me. I focused in on her voice, but even her thoughts weren't coherent. "Sweetie, calm down. Breathe." I brought her face to my chest and held her. After a few minutes of quiet sobs she tapped my arm and I let her go.

"They killed her, Naomi! They killed her! In cold blood; No remorse!" She was in the verge of hysterics. I looked into her eyes and focused on a calm mood, something serene. The stmosphere around her calmed and her breathing slowed.

"Who killed who?" I asked quietly, calmly.

"The Militia! They're here, on Kuon Island! The came this morning on ships and set up a blockade around the island. They sent foot soldiers to go to every house within a one mile radius from where they landed. They came to our house and... and..." I could hear the fear in her voice, but the atmosphere was still calm. I let her pause, let her breathe. She started again. "My mother answered the door. They asked us if they were hiding refugees, possible runaway soldiers. They asked us about the Dark Ones. They asked us about our family. She refused to answer. They ordered her to step aside so they could search the house. She said no. They kept ordering and she kept saying no. One of them lost their patience and pushed her down out of the way. I always told my mother that she needed to keep her temper in order, but she never listened to me. She started a fight with the one that pushed her down, like an actual physical fight. He pulled out his gun and...and..." I didn't let her finish. I pulled her into me again, caressing her hair; her face.

"Shh... It's okay..." I whispered, trying to comfort her.

"I want them dead, Naomi! I want to be the one that makes that ****er bleed!" She had pulled away again and began to pace. The rage was gone and was now replaced with worry. "They're headed towards the city, Naomi. They're coming here to recruit."

"What?" My face was the angry one now and Laura flinched away.

"They were close behind me when I left. I don't know how long it'll be until they get here. We haven't much time." I shut my eyes. Listened. Not with my ears, but with my mind. I listened for the Militia's captain's 'voice'.

Before nightfall... Pillage, plunder, do what ya do. Burn the city. If Kuon Island won't join the Loyalists, they won't join anyone at all!

Cheers...

"We have to leave, now." I said.

(More later. 5th period's done.)

7. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Mission Three: Exodus

Mission Two: The Awakening
    Complete all of the objectives for the TERRITORY you are currently located in. Do not stray off into other objectives in other towns.

Search for requirements or ask myself for them.[/

Participants Allowed: (As of 4/29/08 | 9:09 Pacific Mountain Time)

Evan A. Del Blaine - Oasis Writer
    Drake - chad.sims2
    Adelaide Bequem – Bick
    Adrastus Aleksandr – Darkthought
    Corin Garou - Sugar N. Spice
    Laramy Swift - Ferret
    Kiva Caerygin – Titania
    Lucida – Leaka

Sare – Milady
    Naomi Kaiser - Terra Valentine

Participants that have completed Mission Two:

Evan A. Del Blaine – Oasis Writer
    Drake - chad.sims2
    Adelaide Bequem – Bick
    Laramy Swift - Ferret
    Lucida – Leaka
    Sare – Milady
    Laramy Swift - Ferret
    Kiva Caerygin – Titania

Participants that must complete Mission Two before moving on: (If I’m wrong, tell me):

Rules:

1) You all have posted before this post. If you want to continue on, you must use each of the below guidelines. They are honestly not that hard. It’s simple.

2) I will remind everyone of the post.

3) You may explain any scenery you like, but avoid all towns.

4) You may find other characters as long as they are apart of the same group as you. (Rebellion, Loyalist, Neutral).

5) In your post at the top, YOU MUST PUT THE THREE SCENES YOU ARE WRITING AND WHAT GROUP YOU ARE WITH! (Loyalists, Rebellion, Neutral)

6) Complete all of the requirements. Those that fail to do so will be reminded. Those that fail to comply, the post will be deleted.

7) Have fun, be creative, and show your imagination and writing skills.

If there are any questions, refer them to the Discussion thread, or to myself.

You are leaving the town you are in to find people that believe more like yourself. You may find characters that are the same group as you. (Loyalist, Nuetral, Rebellion) MAKE REFERENCES TO THE MAP! As you go, you must complete one of the below.

Complete Three of the following Fifteen:

• A chase.
    • Your character witnesses an event that causes them to doubt their beliefs
    • Your character must do something that seems like certain death in order to prove him or herself worthy of something.
    • Your character overhears an army commander talking about committing treason/going against their expressed orders.
    • A natural disaster occurs (e.g., earthquake, volcano, hurricane, etc.).
    • A dark secret is revealed.
    • Your character is haunted by visions from another time and place.
    • Your character meets a mythical creature.
    • A quarrel between two lovers.
    • A conspiracy is revealed.
    • Your character learns a new martial skill.
    • Your character is stabbed.
    • Something embarrassing has just happened
    • Your character or the group must pass through a dark forest.
    • Your character finds a bag of gold.
    Here’s where it blows your mind away!

Word Limit:
    Minimum: 500 Words
    Maximum: 3000 Words

8. Terra Valentine

Mission 2 and maybe some of 3: We'll see how it goes.

"Why?" She asked. "I thought you were going to help me avenge my mother." She was clutching my arm, pleaing with me to help her.

"We don't possibly have enough strength to defeat them all. We'll need more help. And I know exactly who to ask." I smiled as I thought of my plan. Of who it would allow me to see.

Only problem is where to find him...

I flitted quickly upstairs and grabbed my gear. Not much, just the cloak and the katana, which I hardly ever used. I don't know why I even carried it with me. I returned to Laura within half a second.

"Let's go." I grabbed her arm and drug her with me to the forest.

"Why are we going in there?" She asked fearfully, her eyes wide with terror. "We have to get off of the island. They'll be searching every inch of this place."

"Just follow me." I pulled her with me.

"Ouch! You're pulling too hard. Let go!" I let her go. Stupid human sluggishness.

"Here," I pulled her onto my back, like she was a backpack. "Hold on tight. Don't let go until I tell you to." I took off running at vampire speed.

The trees flew by in blurs. The ground was mossy and damp from the constant rainfall the forest got. It was on the edge of the ocean. That's why it was so much greener than the rest of the island. Within a minute we reached a clearing in the trees. The opening gave way to a beautiful view of the ocean front. There wasn't much beach along the treeline, but it still looked like a private paradise. The ocean reflected the crystal blue sky, dotted here and there with innocent looking, wispy, white clouds. There was a small dock with a boat tethered to the end of it. It bobbed lazily in the water.

"You can let go now, hun." I said loosening my grip around Laura's thighs. She stepped onto the ground.

"Where are we?" She asked. Very few knew about this little getaway miles and miles into the forest. We had run in a matter of minutes what took mortals days to complete.

"It's our way out of here." I replied walking towards the boat.

"How did you know it was here?" She asked in awe, still struck by the beauty of the clearing. I didn't answer, but motioned for her to follow me. She obeyed.

We sat down in the small boat and I cut the rope holding the boat to the dock. We slowly drifted into the sea. A couple of hours passed before either of us said anything. Laura was the one to break the silence.

"Funny, how things can be going great one minute, and then make a complete 180 the next." She was staring out at the ocean a pensive look on her face.

"Funny indeed," I replied looking out to sea in the other direction.

"I wish I could be home again. With my mother in our home. She would be preparing lunch right now. Venison and ale, what she usually made on days like this. It really kept your energy high. That way, we could play in the fields and run and jump and play for hours without tiring." She turned to look at me. "I wish my mother was still here."

"Hmm," I didn't meet her gaze.

"What is it that you want?" She asked turning her body to face me now. I couldn't answer right away.

"Nothing," I said keeping it concise. I picked at the dirt under my fingernail.

"There's got to be something you want." My lie didn't seem to decieve her.

"Nope," I replied shortly.

I don't believe her... Everybody wants something... It's only human... We're selfish creatures...

"Isn't that a fact." I said, responding to her thoughts unintentionally.

"Pardon?" She asked.

"I was just answering your thoughts." What was the point of lying now? If she didn't freak out, the truth was there on the table and if she did, I wouldn't be thirsty for the next few days.

"It is a fact. Humans are selfish creatures. Nothing is ever good enough for them. They always want more." She looked to me.

"Good thing I'm not human than, huh?" I said, chuckling slightly.

"There's still human in you, even if there's something else in there." I hesitated. "You can tell me, you know. I'm not here to judge."

I looked in her eyes; into her thoughts. There was no deception. I sighed.

"I wish I was mortal again. I wish that the past century hadn't happened. I wish that the Dark Ones had never forced me to join their coven. I wish that Ideaya would forgive me. No, I wish that she never would have met me in this life. She would've been so much happier. But more than anything, I wish I was with those people that I fought side by side with against the Dark Ones. I didn't know them well, but I still felt an odd connection with them, especially one..." My voice trailed off. "Evan..." I whispered.

"You're a vampire, aren't you?" She asked warily, but she didn't move away.

"Yes," I replied, keeping my eyes down. She knelt down in front of me and grasped my hands in hers. She couldn't quite force my head up to look at her, but I understood the gesture and cooperated. Her eyes were kind.

"I will not judge you. You are Naomi. That's who you are to me. What you are makes no difference to me. I only ask one thing." She paused. "I want you to help me avenge my mother's death. Can you help me? Will you help me?"

I merely nodded and she smiled. That was when we confirmed our allegience to the rebel cause. To strike back against the Militia.

The sun broke through the clouds suddenly sending the ocean's face into glittering diamonds. The sun's rays fell upon my skin and both Laura and I gasped.

9. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

The Fury of Clan Aleksandr-- Adrastus: Missiont Two: Part Two

Adrastus stood silently next to his brother as the Criers serenaded the burial mound of his father. The song was aptly named 'The Lament'. Veli had let Adrastus choose where their father should be buried. It was a calm spot under the shadow of the Great Mountain. There it never rained too hard nor would the wind blow too much. It was also right next to the burial mound of Anzhelina Aleksandr, their mother. The voices of the Crier women rang out across the cold stone walls of the fortress and into the crisp cool air of the morning. Small drops of rain began to fall. It did well to hide Adrastus' tears.

Lay down your sword and shield
    The Journey is over and done
    The night has fallen
    On battles lost and won
    Listen to the call
    And join your fathers on that far shore
    So they may take you into the Horizon
    Where you need fight no more
    The ships have come to carry you home
    And the white gulls call out to the sky
    No more waiting nor asking
    No more wondering why
    You will lay now beneath the mountains
    And someday we will see you again
    We will stand and wait and protect these lands
    Until then...until then

Those last baleful notes seemed to resonate with Adrastus' soul. He and his brother were now the last in the line of Clan Lords. Likely they would be dead before the week was out. With the Malnarcosus Militia camped outside the walls, there was not much to do but wait. Adrastus could barely believe that part of him wanted to run from this place, to sneak out and abandon his people to whatever may come. Perhaps the voices from the Nothingness had been right, perhaps he did share something with Del Blaine.

Adrastus leaned towards Veli and whispered, "Walk with me brother, I have many questions."

Veli nodded and the two set off at a slow pace around the interior of the place. "Do you know why the Malnarcosus have come? Was it not the Fortress of Dawn that came to their aide so many times during the Great War? I remember hearing of such things."

Veli shook his head, "Aye, that is true. I think they are looking for something, and they are content with starving us out and pecking away at our people until we surrender whatever it is they look for."

"Hm...Searching you say? What could be so important that the Malnarcosus would attack an ally?"

"It does not matter anymore Adrastus. Whatever they have come for it can be damned! Was my father's life worth such a thing? I say no. These soldiers from Malnarcosus call themselves Loyalists. They have no hearts. Before they came here, I heard tell from the southern lands that Malnarcosus has deployed soldiers all over the continent. We are not the only ones. I also hear tell of a rebellion."

Adrastus raised a brow, "A rebellion? Malnarcosus has the largest military in any land and more than some combined. Such a thing would surely be crushed."

"Yes," Veli consented. "In open combat perhaps, but this rebellion operates mainly from the shadows. I cannot say much on their leaders, or if there are leaders. What it boils down to is this, Adrastus. Our father is dead. We owe nothing to Malnarcosus. Let us fight in the name of this rebellion. If we lend it the strength of Zoran's warriors, perhaps they might have a shot."

Adrastus scratched his beard thoughtfully. Their short walk had brought them to the front of the building called the Hall of Lords. A magnificent peice of the architecture, the art of which had long since been lost, it was the oldest building in all the Fortress. Indeed it seemed to flow forth from the mountains, as if it were carved from the very thing. It was where the warrior who founded the line of Aleksandr first established his rule. Adrastus threw a hand about Veli's shoulders.

"I have a plan. Let us lend our strength to this rebellion, but first, let us cast out these Malnarcosus dogs from the land of our fathers. Where are my weapons?"

Veli shrugged, "We found Odion and Kissa snapped in half near the river where we discovered you. I've been meaning to ask you, what brought you here in such sorry shape? I know of nothing that could best your blade."

"It doesn't matter where I have been or why, brother, only that I have come back. Even if I only stay for the moment."

With that, Adrastus started up the steps towards of the Hall of Lords.

"Adrastus, where are you goin?" came Veli's questioning voice.

Adrastus glanced back. "To take my place among the clan, little brother. To make all as it should be for my people, as I should have done long ago."

Without another word, Adrastus trotted up the steps to the massive double doors and threw them open. Before him stretched a great hall, stained glass windows running its leangth, with a door at the end waiting for him. As he walked, Adrastus looked to the glass, each depicting various interpretations of what God must be. Some showed a glorious winged man with flowing hair, an olive branch in one hand and a sword in the other, others depicted a great king clasping an orb in his palm while laying a scepter across his knees. The final few showed a common, dirty man with kind eyes standing amongst animals and children with the sun rising behind his head.

Adrastus put his hands on the last pair of double doors and pushed. The chamber was dark save for a single point of light from a hole in the domed ceiling high above. The light shone down onto a circlular platform, in the center of which were a set of items; a sword, a dagger, and a set of armor. Each item held a special place in the legends of the Aleksandr clan. Each had belonged to Aleksandr himself, the founder of the clan and of Zoran. Adrastus marvelled at the beauty of the things before him.

The sword and the dagger were named Asphodel and Irit respectively; one after the Goddess of Death and one after the Goddess of Life. The two-handed sword was expertly worked, the blade seemed to flow and shine like liquid moonlight. The dagger seemed constantly in motion with all its twisting curves. The armor was the true piece of magnificence though.

It was black as night, perfectly crafted by some great master who had long since died. The breastplate was extruded in the shape of a rising sun, the helm sent great tines into the air, like a deer's. It was truly a thing to strike fear into the hearts of men. Adrastus reached out for the things.

When Adrastus emerged, a crowd of people had gathered at the foot of the steps, among them were soldiers, children, women, old people, and his brother. All were silent. All stared up at him expectantly.

"Brothers...we face the end of our line this day. The odds are against us. The Malnarcosus outnumber us three to one. Good odds for any of the Aleksandr Clan. Tonight we will show them what the meaning of being a warrior is. Tonight we will show them that we will stand and fight. Tonight we will show them that when one of our number falls, we will take ten of theirs to replace him. Make this a day of steel and blood, make this a day that my father would have been proud to see! Come, brothers...let us prepare for war."

Adrastus walked down into the crowd as the people began rushing about preparing for what was to come. Adrastus would put his plan into motion when the night came, under the cover of darkness.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abel Grisham kept a grim eye towards gates of Zoran, the Fortress of Dawn. He was not an old man, but nor was he young. His eyes were dark and his hair was red with a bit of gray sneaking in at the edges, cropped close to his scalp in the manner of soldiers. He had seen every major battle of the last decade, had served in a position of honor during the Great War. He had commanded numbers of troops in what helped Malnarcosus become the great capital it was today. In short, Abel new when something was about to go tragically wrong. The past two days since the Clan Lord of the Aleksandrs had fallen seemed to have cast a spell of eerie silence on the Zoran. It unnvered him. These mountain dwellers were a steadfast people, and while a time for mourning was only to be expected after the fall of a leader, these were not the type to let such a thing go unnavenged.

Abel chewed absently on his tobac pipe for a moment, contemplating what could be going on beyond those tremendous walls. He had heard some men talking of women singing earlier, something Abel found hard to believe. The Aleksandrs had been cut off from supplies for three weeks now. They had not been prepared for a siege. Taking Lootah was supposed to have been an excersize in ease. Indeed much of it had fallen with relatively little commotion, but these people were another matter entirely. He took one more puff of his pipe before knocking its contents out on a nearby rock and pocketing it.

As one of the regulars walked by, Abel grabbed at him. "You there, take five men and go up to the gates. Report back to me and tell me if you can see or hear anything at all."

The soldier gave a smart salute and trotted off down a row of tents. Abel watched after him for a moment before turning his calculating eyes back to the fortress gates. Thunder sounded in the tumultuous skies as the rain began to fall in heavy drops.

It wasn't long before able spotted the group of men travelling up the steep hill to the gates. He thought briefly on how young the men must have been to be fighting wars. Most were barely old enough to shave. Abel shook his head as he ran his hand over his scalp. The moon would have been high in the sky now, but the dark clouds and rain blocked it out. He could barely make out the dark shapes on the battlements of the fortress.

Suddenly shouting erupted at the gates. Vision was too poor for Abel to be sure what was going on, but he had seen many battle before this. The cursed Aleksandrs had put bowmen on the walls. Abel saw the men he had sent to the gate fall one by one. He jumped to his feet and began running through the rows of tents, rousing any soldiers that might have been sleeping.

"Form ranks! Form ranks damn you! We are being attacked! Get your lazy asses out of bed, the Aleksandrs are attacking!"

His cries were drowned out in the roar of the increasingly heavy downpoor. Cries erupted from the forward tents. A sharp pain shot through Abel's shoulder and he looked down to see blood on the white cloth over his armor. It wasn't just rain coming from the sky, the Aleksandrs were raining arrows down on the sleeping soldiers. Abel ducked down under a nearby table as the next volley of arrows came down. Thunk! Thunk! Thunk! Arrows collided with the tabletop. In the distance, Abel could hear the creak of the gates opening, the pounding of hooves, and the roar of men who were not afraid to die defending their homeland.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had stopped raining when the morning finally came. Adrastus strode among the myriad bodies of the fallen fighters. Many were Zoran, many more were Malnarcosus. Despite heavy losses, the Fortress of Dawn stood victorious.

"Lord Adrastus," came a voice off to his right. He looked over to the warrior. "What do we do about the ones who are still alive?" He asked, referencing the injured Malnarcosus.

"Take them into the fortress. Feed them, bandage their wounds. We are men of honor, not Malnarcosus dogs. Perhaps they will learn something of it and think twice about the nation they serve so blindly."

Later that day, Adrastus bore witness to the crowning of his brother as the next Clan Lord. The fortress was busy much of the time tended to wounded from both sides. After the ceremony, Adrastus retired to his chambers and began packing his items, among them were the sword and dagger from the Hall of Lords. He had returned the armor, feeling that it belonged more to the people than to him despite much urging from his brother that he take it with him on his journey. That night was a restless night for Adrastus. Soon, he would be back on the road, searching for Del Blaine.

10. Titania

Titania New Member

Kiva - Mission Two

I reached down to find Evan’s hand and grasp it tightly. The amethyst bracelet caught in the moonlight, as if reminding me of the weariness that was already so present both in my mind and my exhausted body. I steeled myself with the thought that however terrible I felt, his condition was far worse. With one final glance at him, I closed my eyes and jumped.

The night air rushed by, shockingly cold. I felt a familiar cushion of air beneath my feet as we landed on the street below, and smiling, I opened my eyes to see a small layer of quickly-fading purple mist below me. Evan fell against me again, nearly knocking me down.

“Are you alright?” I steadied myself. He was having trouble breathing. I held him up as best I could, brushing some of that strange hair out of his face so that I could look him in the eye. “Evan?” If the wounds on his chest opened up again… I tried to examine him, though it was difficult in the moonlight. At least it felt as if his bandages were still in place. But his skin was ice cold, and white as milk quartz – the wrong color for someone so out of breath. He should have been red.

“Hard to breathe, darling,” he murmured dazedly. “Funny thing, falling.”

“You’re the one who wanted to go out the window.” I tried to laugh, though it came out more fearful than I would have liked. We needed to move. I scanned our surroundings quickly. “I’m going to take you somewhere safe,” I told him. “I know a place, a secret place.” An otherworldly place, I thought but did not say. “It’s not too far from here. Just stay with me, okay?”

“Can’t go much elsewhere.” He smiled, but pain was stark in his face, and he looked down at his side. Still, he started walking in the direction I had indicated, and I hurried after him, getting ahead so that I could lead the way. Silence fell for a few moments as we walked. “So, this a bad time to ask why you saved me?” He asked.

I blinked, looking away. My cheeks were heating again. He seemed to have that effect on me. “You needed help,” I said simply. “I’m not much of a healer, but I had to do something.”

“Hmm…” he sighed, grimaced, laughed a little. “Well, I appreciate it. Don’t know what I would have done without you.” He looked me in the eyes and I shivered a little unconsciously under the gaze of his sole remaining eye. He wasn’t bad-looking, considering he had a white cloth wrapped across his right eye socket – his hair covered most of it. “How can I repay you?” I started to speak, but he kept going. “I want to repay you for your help.”

Repay me? “I… there’s no need for that.” We had reached the end of the street and I took his hand again, leading him past the remaining buildings and towards my sanctuary. “There’s a cave in the hills just over here,” I explained. “I keep many of my belongings there. It’s where I go to be alone.” I flushed. “My point is, even many of the townsfolk don’t know where it is.”

“Okay. Take me there then.” He winced slightly. “Mind if I call you sweetie?” Flustered, I nearly tripped; he helped me stay upright, chuckling a bit. “Sorry, almost called you a sexy kiwi again.”

I shook my head – a little too hard. “Some day, when we’re both more coherent, I’ll have to ask you why you want to call me that.”

We were nearing the cave now, and the night was deepening, and I could feel the stone calling to me as it had so many years ago now. It weakened me. It was always so much easier to find my sanctuary when I was at my worst, when pain or desperation brought me almost past the point of consciousness. I was there, there when the shining gemstones called to me.

“We’re close,” I said. He didn’t respond, as if recognizing my sudden urge for quiet. We walked through the soft plains, and into the hill. The cave came into view before us, its doorway dark beneath the shining moon.

Letting go of him for a moment, I led him into the cave I so often called home.

The last thing I saw before I passed out was Evan’s arms reaching for me.

Another night, another fall, another pair of arms.

I’m dancing, dancing by candlelight, to no music save our heartbeats; but the sound of our lives pulsating is more than enough to create a rhythm to stir my young soul. He holds me gently, yet his lead is firm. A flick of his wrist and I twirl through glimpses of shining mineral colors and back home. Back to him. I’m laughing – giddily, whimsically. The intensity in his blue eyes makes me stop. The rush of soft hands up to my face, delicately cupping, caressing, deeming me precious as a star. Lips murmur my name.

No.

Please.

He’s begging me. That same loving gaze, so deft at soothing me, now leaves an ache in my chest. “I trust you,” he whispers, those precious lips worn from drought. He takes my hand, kisses it.

I close my eyes and touch the peridot.

Merchants always said the peridot was a strange stone for me to be making such a fuss over, ‘till they saw my eyes. Most didn't understand me, a thirteen-year-old at the beginning of it, asking all kinds of questions about the uses of such precious stones with such randomness and insistence. They often tried to sell me things. I bought from them on occasion, using money I earned from selling my own used-up stones, before I realized they were reinvigorated each moon cycle. I always asked about the peridot. They said they didn’t know. But I had a feeling.

I knew things about stones. It was an instinct, and one I couldn’t have survived without in the early days. I had to work entirely based on trial and error.

Many a time I had to face the consequences of using power I didn’t understand. I tried to start small, but sometimes –

Sometimes I had to do whatever I could.

I was so young…

He falls sick after the soldiers come and leave. Summer rays shine bright in the air, yet his usual warmth turns to a cold, energyless pallor as the leaves shed red and gold. We try to help; but the rudimentary healing skills of our small town’s inhabitants can do nothing for the shortness of his breath, the blood he coughs as his body rebels against some inner demon.

I kiss his cheek and hold his hand. And I dream of jewels.

They both flatter me and indict me. They praise me for my devotion, for my capacity to love; yet with scathing cruelty they mock my hesitance and caution, my trust in others which leads me to believe that they would take care of the one I loved. I am weak.

I have immense power. I have a gift for good, if only I would use it. The peridot, the first stone which had called to me, the stone whose power I feared, lures me, romances me, whispers promises of magical healing.

Please.

He’s begging me.

My eyes flutter open and Anna’s face hovers close to mine. Her joyous expression lifts my heart. I’m smiling, my first smile in so long. My body aches and when I at last gather the coherence of mind to speak, my first utterance is his name. A darkness in her eyes stills me. I drift. I’ve been asleep a week, she says to my horrified mind. As for him…

No.

I woke up. He never had.

He never had…

I couldn’t save him.

(should be complete now... sorry this has taken me forever!)

11. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    I watched the girl walk away, crying. There was no doubt in my mind that the person she’d gone to see in that jail cell was going to die the next morning. I looked at the guard to my left, the one who’d just walked the girl out the cell, and he reaffirmed my look of concern with a quiet, “I think I heard her call the old man in there ‘Uncle’.”

Shame that such a sweet-looking girl like that should have to lose what seemed to be the closest of her family. “Wha’d he do?” I asked.

The other guard this time answered, “Joined the rebellion. Beyond that, they didn’t tell us anything.” And that was enough for them. They didn’t ask; they weren’t supposed to.

I took the warped handle in my hand, preparing to open the door. I stopped and looked back at were the girl had been moments before. It’s amazing how much space that nothing can fill. I let a little chuckle and opened the door. After a moment of questioning, I was able to deduce that the young girl’s uncle was in the cell furthest away from me.

I should note, if there’s one thing the priesthood taught, it’s that you come to sense the essence of emotion: guilt, shame, regret—they all became easy enough for me to spot, especially beneath shades of happiness and forced ignorance. I’d given last rights to death-row inmates before, and most times they just seemed to follow a pattern of false pleasantries followed by the eventual realization that I was their only way into eternity.
    “Tuff night?” He didn’t answer. I didn’t think he could hear me, so I said a little louder, “Was that your niece I just saw running out of here?” I was carful to omit “in tears.”

“Yeah, that was my Addy.”

“How you known her?” I asked, looking over my shoulder as if I could see her.

“Years.” He looked down at his clenched hands lying in his lap. “Not to be rude there, pastor, but why are you down here talking to the sinners?” I took a seat on one of the stools left behind by the guards, and I winched a little as the sharp spirals of gold on my collar bit into my neck—being in charge of a “church” had its downs.

“Why, I’m breaking bread with the sinners,” I replied grabbing a loaf from the table. I did my best to split the bread into two halves, but it was incredibly old. I tried for a few minutes, until I eventually decided to nock a piece off using the table as leverage. Handing the old man the rest of the loaf, it became apparent to me that my vain attempts at ersatz baking had amused him. “I take it you don’t know your theology very well, do you?”

“What makes you say that?”

“You don’t look worried and I can’t sense the slightest smell of regret about you.”

He decided to lay back in his bed at that point and ask, “Do you think God’s gonna punish me for all the things I’ve done wrong.”

“Not if you accept his gift.”

“And that means you come in here, read a verse, pray and call it a day?”

“No. That means God will welcome you with open arms tomorrow when you embrace eternity.”

“And what’s eternity like?”

“I dunno; none of us do. We won’t until we get there, and even if we do die, we wouldn’t understand it until we gazed into the eyes of God.”

“But wouldn’t that kill us?”

“We’re already dead,” I laughed. “It would only expand our minds.” I stopped talking for a moment. “Do you know why we die?”

He threw his hands up in the air. “I dunno. Why?”

“Because, everyday you just die a little inside, till there’s nothing left. We’d all die in a month if we didn’t find something to live for. So tell me, Stranger, what is you used to live for.”

He started to open his mouth, but changed his mind. He seemed to be collecting his thoughts, and I let him do so. After a prolonged silence, I asked, “What is it that girl’s living for?”

At that point, that broken shell of a man came forward and put his hands on the bars. “ I know what that girl’s living for.”

“What?”

“The future. Not just the future, but our future. I’ll tell ya, I saw things—that girl, she’s—“
    “That’s it for you, father. Law requires that we give them eight hours of sleep before we put ‘em to bed.”

I stood and looked at the guard, then at the girl’s uncle. He seemed to have some above average understanding of what it meant to die. I pulled a little flask from my robe and flipped open the lid.

“Domo Uzres Emena Pro’tempta,” I muttered whilst drawing the sign of the mountain on the man’s arm. “Look into my eyes and say you repent.” He did, and I drew a line underneath the picture. “Your name?” He gave it to me and I wrote under the line. “Do you truly repent, so that those you love will not carry your sin?” He said he’d never do anything to hurt Addy. I quickly made the mark of the forgiven on his arm and whispered, ”Illuminateas.” At that point the guard came and pulled me away. I suppose he wanted me to leave earlier, but he knew he couldn’t interrupt. “Don’t worry,” I shouted. “You’ll be with God soon enough.”
    -----
    I had trouble sleeping that night. Maybe it was because I didn’t offer forgiveness to the other two. Well, to be fair, it’s not like they looked the slightest bit remorseful. The prayer would be lost without true acceptance. I recall rolling over and over in that crappy coat they gave me in that shell of a church. I awoke to the sounds of shouting and joy. Great, I was in one of the three towns in that nation that still heralded death with joy.

“You stand accused of the crime of Treason,” shouted the officer in charge of the town garrison. “However, you are not full citizens of the nation. As such, you have no rights to trial; only those offered to you by God. As they were administered last night, it is my will that you three embrace eternity by hanging this hour.” It was rationally old school. He shouting to a group covered by a picket fence that we couldn’t see past. The only thing I can clearly remember is the absolute silence taken up by the crown the moment the door was opened and the mend about to die made their way to the gallows. I could feel the swet running down my back as they fitted each of them with a noose. I swallowed a little and try my best to reassure myself. “He’s going to God,” I whispered over and over. It couldn’t of possibly took as long as it did. The military must of done something to prolong the process.

Finally, the officer said something about going to God, and I decided to turn my back. The instant I did, a small head slammed into my chest, trying to hide her tears in the folds of my robes. I was about to say something to her when my words fell short, and I was silenced by the sound of three necks snapping in unison.

12. Oasis Writer

She fell into my arms unexpectedly, or I should say, feel forward, and I caught her luckily. Her body felt lifeless, but her chest still elevated slightly as I pulled her closer to me. Kiva was tired, I could very well imagine from her performance before, but I hadn’t suspected it. She was stronger than I thought. I had no idea magic was that hard to use. I finally pulled her body as close to me as I could, keeping her up in one arm as I held myself up on the hilt of my sword that was sinking into the soft ground besides me. It was hard to breathe, but I couldn’t let her fall against any of the rocks in the cave.

I sank backwards, as slowly as I could manage, but it was impossible to fall slowly with an unconscious girl in one arm, and no stability in the opposite leg. I laid back into the soil, Kiva in my lap, lying upon my chest. I wasn’t going to lie, it hurt terribly, but I could live past it for a little longer.

She was so small. Kiva barely weighed much over one hundred pounds, if at all, but her size was that of a child reaching age. It was surprising to know she wasn’t much younger than him. I raised my hand to her throat and pressed gently on her artery. She had a good pulse, she was just tired. I raised my hand towards her face and brushed her cheek. It was softer than I had ever known, though years of murder would harden the hands, I would only assume.

“Kiva, Kiva, Kiva,” I whispered. I knew she couldn’t hear me. She was fast asleep, or unconscious, or maybe even in a coma. I didn’t know. I wasn’t trained for healing, though I knew enough of basic first aid to get by. “Why did you save me?”

The thought swelled in my mind. It seemed so surreal to have an angel to protect me, no matter what the size. I felt at peace when I was around her; I felt at peace holding her. However, how long would that still be present? She didn’t know who I was, what I had done, who I had killed for no reason but for pleasure, or for money. I sighed gently. My chest was going through convulsions, which hurt me more than I wished.

The more I thought about my past, the worse I felt haunted by it. I hadn’t remembered anything two months ago, but now…everything was changing. It was one of the reasons I had felt so obligated to save Sare and Drake when I met them. Retribution? I doubt it. Saving two children over the hundreds that I had burned alive wouldn’t protect me from the fate that awaited me when I finally died.

Why did I do it though? I couldn’t place it in my mind. I knew what I did for a living. I was the Honor Stealer. My job, along with several other Bounty Hunters and Assassins of Malnarcosus was to kill mercilessly. I had been trained to not care about honor. I struck down men more and more, stealing away the honor of their family and their own integrity.

“Kiva...” I said gently, staring at the brilliant ceiling of the cave. “If I told you something, would you still trust me?”

Silence.

What was I expecting, honestly? I shook my head. This was ridiculous, but I found myself still going off.

“That pendants…I…” There was nothing to say. It held the only thing I had to the past, the two pendants in my pocket. All my dark secrets that I had, or at least, remembered.

“You won’t hear this…but I at least have to tell you. If you ever remember, ask me about it.” Once more, silence; that of which, I broke. “The silver pendant…has a picture of my daughter.”

I couldn’t cry. There were no tears left in me, but I could feel the pain in my heart, and how it pushed my chest into the most agonizing pain I had felt in a long time. I hugged Kiva a little tighter, making sure not to crush her small frame on accident.

“The golden pendant has a picture of my wife and her.” I stopped for a moment. No one had ever known that but me. I never opened either pendant; I never let them out of my sight for longer than a few hours. I decided to speak a little longer, holding my breath for a moment, before spilling out the details.

“I met her when I was nineteen. We fell in love, but our love was a secret. I was already with the military, and was growing ranks by the day. A year later, she bore a child. Her name was Natalie. She was beautiful, and virtuous. She was everything I had ever wanted…

“After I turned twenty-one, however, the military had checked up on my household. A politician had come and found out everything, leaving quickly to tell the King, the Minister, whatever he was to the world. I received my next orders that evening before leaving.

“I was to kill a baby girl and her mother.”

I stopped, painfully listening to my own words. I bit my lip hard before continuing.

“I did as I was told. I was selfish, but I was trained. I wanted the best I could make for my family. I was unaware that the same politician had come back that evening while I was away and escorted her to a new location. It was a detour of sorts. I went to that location in the night, unseen…unheard.

“I killed them both in the dark, both without looking at their faces, both without any remorse.”

My chest felt as if I had been stabbed. Kiva was starting to mumble again in her sleep. I held her tightly.

“The candle-light by her bed fell to the floor, causing an ignition for a fire. The perfect escape, but then…I noticed their faces. I saw the blood running from their skulls, their eyes piercing me with a dead awe that shook me into dementia. My wife had seen me.”

The earth started to shake below my back. The pain was immense, but it was a small tremor from the earth. I never was a fan of earthquakes. I rested my back as the ground started to ease.

“I became the best that year.” I whispered as I eased myself. “I killed everything, I did every mission. I did everything.”

Kiva was starting to stir. The pain from the earthquake, the night, and everything was starting to get to me. I closed my eyes, pulling Kiva a little higher onto my chest to keep her off the ground. She was a foot shorter than me, I noticed then. It was nice. She turned her body by herself, amazingly. I could tell she would be okay then. She turned herself onto her side, and then onto her stomach, her hair starting to get messy, but her head resting on my chest.

A painful warmth. Sweet sentiments of pain, though.

I tried to forget the pain, closing my eyes. I whispered one more thing before I and fell asleep.

“I just wanted you to know, Kiva…”

“I just wanted you to know…”

13. Terra Valentine

Mission 3: Secrets, Visions, and a New Friend

I was waiting for some sort of pain. I was waiting for a painful burning sensation, but it never came. The light just settled there on my skin not doing anything at all. I stared at the light on my forearm incredulously. Nothing at all. I was safe in the light.

I was safe in the light!

I could have jumped for joy. I think I did, actually. The smile on my face was going to be a permanent one, I was sure. I couldn't believe this. I almost didn't want to believe it. I didn't want to wake up and be amazingly disappointed.

"Pinch me." I said quickly to Laura. I had to be sure. I closed my eyes in anticipation. I waited, but still nothing came. "Pinch me." I said again, just in case she hadn't heard the first request.

"I am!" She exclaimed. I opened my eyes and sure enough she was pinching my arm with all she had.

"Oh, sorry. I forgot." She stopped pinching me.

"I can't believe this is real," I said turning my arm over and over looking at the light glitter like magic off of it. My skin was extremely pale and in the light it was almost blinding. Laura had to squint her eyes to look at me. "I always loved the sun." I mused gazing into the sky. The clouds had nearly disappeared. The scene was beautiful; serene.

"Tell me a story," Laura said lying down on theboat's floor and closing her eyes. Sunbathing.

"Like what?" I asked. I wasn't good at open questions. I needed direction. I needed to be asked specific questions.

"How were you transformed?" There was no hint of terror or any other emotion for that matter besides curiosity. Like we had been friends forever and that this was just another conversation to pass the time.

I hesitated, thinking. It was such a long time ago. "It was a long time ago," I began speaking slowly; Gathering my thoughts. "You know what Kaiser means?"

"No, I didn't know it meant anything, actually."

"Everyone's last name means something. Back in older times, your last name represented your 'profession'. Smith, Potter... Those were their professions. Mine means emperor. I was royalty then." Laura was looking at me now. I could see she was truthfully interested in what I had to say. I decided not to hold back.

"You see, my father, the king of the time, married my mother. Only she was a princess of one of our most hated enemies. We were at war with them and the prize for winning was the first born daughter. Lucky that we won, or else I would have been that king's slave.

"Yeah, we won, and my father took his prize. He married her and during their honeymoon, I was conceived. They raised me well. I was an adorable child, they told me. I had curly, black hair and dimples. I never whined; I never cried. I did what I was told. Any parent's dream.

"Even when I was a child I had an uncanny ability to... 'Sense' what people were going to say or do before they did it. I could also change the atmosphere when I came into a room. Whatever my mood was at the time, the people around me seemed to imitate it. I guess those skills sort of developed over time." I tapped my temple. She smiled.

"I finally turned 16, the time when my parents would begin looking for a suitor for me. I had blossomed. My hair was longer now, straighter and my dimples were not as pronounced. I had become more... mature, I guess I should say." I straightened up and pushed out my chest a little. Laura got the point.

"They found someone shortly. He was a prince from across the sea. He had traveled long and far to see me and ask for my hand in marriage. I politely declined.

"This made both him and my parents very upset. After months of failed persuasion, my father finally forced me to marry him. The wedding was a week away.

"I was walking home from a friend's house. The sky was darkening. I don't know why I didn't take a horse home, or ask someone to acompany me. I suppose I thought I was invincible. Typical teenage behavior.

"I passed by a pub on the way home. There were men outside of it, laughing, drinking, being drunk. I picked up the pace, but a voice stopped me.

"'Hey there, sugar,' A man said looking at me as I passed. I looked. It was my fiancee. He and a couple of friends were staring at me with... Well, they were staring at me. It was making me uncomfortable. I waved me over and, like a fool, I went. 'Look at her, men. Look at the shape.' He pushed me toward his friends, and they looked me over, like they were looking at animal for sale.

(More later!)

14. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

End of mission two (Sry if it's a little rushed)

I spent the entire day trading blows with my new master. He told me that the best way to learn was to do, and that with my will I should make a great swordsman some day. All i really learned that day was how to swing the swords properly in order to maximize the cutting effect and the speed of my swings. After that he gave me a grin and said something i never exspected from him. "Well now that you've mastered the basics it's time for you to move on." I frowned and he laughed. "Learning a style only prohibits you in combate the best fighters use their own. So in the morning you'll need to leave, I'd head for the boarder and out of this dust hole if i where you, but you can go where you please.

I smiled and bowed nodded. "I'll return when i think i can take you master." I said confidently and he smirked again. We ate dinner, I washed up and fell quickly asleep in the comfy bed that i'd probably never use again. Oh well. I thought at least i had better weapons than just my little knife. Then again, i needed a new knife now.

15. thelastblueberry

thelastblueberry New Member

In my imagination. Not always a good thing...
    Name: Ambriel (Amber)
    Age: appears to be mid-twenties (actually hundreds of years old)
    Race: Dragon
    Birthplace: mountains of Bystral, home to the ruling Dragon clan
    Eyes: Fiery Gold, reptilian pupils
    Hair: Long dark blue, almost black. Has purple highlights when in the light.
    Height: 5 “7
    Weight: 125

Family:
    Parents: King Garron and Queen Daeira of the Dragons
    Siblings: twin sister Jadira (Jade) –deceased, older brother Toran
    Genealogical Descendants (Same DNA): Nope
    Husband: None
    Descendants: none
    Attire: Dark leather boots and gloves. Warrior armor made light for speed and free range of movement. Leather belt with a sword hanging on the left side. All her gear is of extremely high quality. Wears a necklace with a blood-red crimson pendant that seems to have something alive inside.
    Weapon of Choice: Sword
    Weapon Description: Long blade made form elven metal. The hilt is very intricately carved with gold inlays and jewels. The scabbard is plain leather.
    Notable Powers: telepathy, control of the elements
    Description: She can speak telepathically and sense things around her. Like a 6th sense. She has the dragon clan’s power of the elements.
    She travels around in a human from to blend in more easily. She has a toned, muscular frame but moves more gracefully than a warrior. The only signs giving away her dragon self are her eyes and her tough skin.

1 person likes this.
  16. Bick

Bick New Member

End of Mission 2

I woke up, my back sore and my eyes burned. The sun came into the window and I quickly shielded my eyes. It was then that I panicked.

“Natty!” I yelled running towards the sleeping boy, “Get up, we have to be somewhere and I can’t leave you here again.” I said, rushing to grab my things. Nathaniel quickly threw on his new jacket, and grabbed his bag.

I quickly grabbed him, and ran down the steps. I stopped at the door, and looked behind as the owner of the pub looked at me wide eyed.

“I’ll be back in about an hour I said, I think this is going to be our last night here.” He didn’t say a word as he stared at me wide-eyed. I ignored him, and ran out the door, only to feel a very cold breeze on my wings. A shiver went down my back. I quickly ran back up the steps, and grabbed my cloak. I quickly looked to make sure we hadn’t left anything else. I ran down the steps, and took a quick look at the pub owner.

“Thanks for your kindness… sorry for scaring you. They’re harmless.” I said as I ran out the door with Nathaniel in my arms. I quickly made for the center of the city, hearing the mass of noise as I neared the area. My eyes became blurry with tears as I took notice of the 3rd man with the noose around his neck. Uncle Thomas.

“Hey! Those are the men that killed mommy!” said Nathaniel tears slowly going down his eyes. I picked him up, and he nuzzled his face into my shoulder as I walked through the crowd. I wanted to find the man from last night. I looked around, finally finding him. I quickly ran towards him, pushing through the crowd as I heard someone speak.

“You stand accused of the crime of Treason.” I paused, looking over at the soldier I had met earlier. His once friendly face seemed like a lie to me.

“However, you are not full citizens of the nation. As such, you have no rights to trial; only those offered to you by God. As they were administered last night, it is my will that you three embrace eternity by hanging this hour.” I wanted to take my cloak off, and fly my uncle to safety, but I patted the head of Nathaniel and knew I couldn’t. Plus, they could have easily shot me down. I made my way towards the man as the soldier finished what he was saying. It was all a blur to me as they released the floor from under their feet. I sobbed, falling into the man’s robes as I heard the unison of snapping necks. Natty cried with me as I felt a hand pat my head.

17. thelastblueberry

Mission 3: Part 1

Ambriel’s golden eyes surveyed the ruins of the town below. Ash and smoke were all that remained of the once prosperous village. From her distant perch on the mountainside she could safely watch the dark creatures moving about through the reckage as they regrouped. She could feel their eyes on her as they scanned the mountains. They could sense her presence, but they couldn’t see her thanks to Galara’s shielding spell.

Vauk appeared by her side, seemingly out of thin air. His speed and stealth were the main reasons he had been chosen. He gave an awkward bow, obviously still adjusting to his human form, before speaking.

“We’ve received the signal from Melnor’s group. Now we just await your orders.”

Ambriel fingered the crimson amulet hanging around her neck as she thought. Instead of shining like a normal jewel, the amulet seemed to writhe with life within its smooth prison. Ambriel clenched it in her fist and turned away from the ruined village.

“It’s time to go our separate ways.”

She met Vauk’s icy blue eyes with her fierce golden ones. A silent message seemed to pass between them. Vauk bowed again. “I’ll pass the message on to Galara.” He turned to leave but then stopped, as if someone had grabbed his arm. He turned back to Amber.

Be careful, both of you.

Vauk smiled and then silently departed. Ambriel sensed the moment he found Galara and spoke to her and then sensed them traveling away from her. She looked up at the sky with a fierce longing, wishing she could spread her wings and soar through the clouds, feel the wind against her scales. But that was impossible.

Ever since the dark ones had come, her kind had been hunted and massacred. Some were captured alive and forced under the control of the dark ones, a fate worse than death. Several clans came close to extinction. In order to survive, the dragons had been forced to do something that had never been done before in the history of Trebildel. The dragon clans had left their homes and gathered in the mountains of Bystral, home of the Golden Clan. In order to survive, they needed to disappear. So disappear they did. For over a hundred years. No one set foot outside the mountains unless they were in a human form. Even then, they remained as inconspicuous as possible, only doing what needed to be done.

Ambriel tucked the amulet under her armor and set off down the mountain. She knew the dark ones were preparing to attack the elven town about 2 days march south. She could probably make it there in a day if she kept up a steady sprint. Her parents wouldn’t be happy with her interfering. The dragons were not taking any sides in the war, but to Ambriel there were only two sides: the dark ones and everyone else. She would respect the wishes of the council and not fight for the sake of anyone but the dragons, but she could at least warn the elves before danger struck.

Ambriel suddenly sensed the presence of dark ones closing in. She had left the safety of Galara’s shielding spell and now was easily visible. She cursed her luck and silently began calling upon the spirits of fire, preparing herself for battle. She didn’t want to engage the dark ones so close to home. If her parents sensed her in any danger they would immediately send out warriors to help her. They couldn’t bear losing another child. And if the dark ones found out where the dragons were hiding…

She didn’t have time to finish that thought. A cloaked figure lunged from the right. She jumped and twisted, barely evading the pale hands and sharp teeth of the hybrid being. At least they weren’t dark ones. Hybrids she could outrun. A ball of fire erupted in Ambriel’s right hand and her eyes began to glow slightly as she concentrated on the powerful element. She slashed her hand in front of her, creating a wall of searing flames. The creatures shrank back for a split second, giving Ambriel enough time to turn and flee through the forest.

She was much faster than a simple hybrid, and easily created distance between herself and the group. However, she could sense more up ahead. How many of these things were stationed around the forest? She couldn’t afford being followed. She allowed the flame in her hand to die as she called upon the spirits of wind and water. The hybrids up ahead had sensed her presence and were closing in.

Power flowed down her arms and into her hands, wind in her left and water in her right. She joined her hands together, forming ice between them. The air around her hands became cold as she prepared to attack. The hybrids appeared between the trees, running along the ground and one in the branches above. Ambriel slowed her pace, waiting for them to make the first move. The hybrid in the trees attacked first, leaping down towards Ambriel, wild and stupid. She waved her hands in a pattern, freezing the air around her. The hybrid screamed as its limbs froze and shattered upon impact with Ambriel’s fists. The ground hybrids were circling warily and she could sense the group from before catching up. She wanted to finish them all off now, but that army had probably already started heading towards the village. She didn’t have time to deal with these decoys.

Ambriel drew her sword and sprang towards the nearest hybrid, slicing off it’s arm. She spun around as two more tried to attack from behind, cutting one in the chest and missing the other. It grabbed her shoulder with its cold, pale hands and snapped at her face. She felt its filthy claws tear through the leather under her arm and scrape the surface of her skin. Her hidewas tough, but they pierced through and blood began to flow. She silently reprimanded herself for allowing such an opening and grabbed its face, digging her own claws into its skull. The creature cried out in pain and released its grip on her.

She immediately turned and ran through the woods before the others could fully catch up, clutching her arm to stop the bleeding. She headed slightly away from her destination, concentrating on shaking off her pursuers. When she sensed them leave her vision, she turned towards the village and moved as quickly as her human form would allow.

18. thelastblueberry

Mission 3: Part 2

Ambriel arrived at the village well past nightfall. She had run hard, much harder than she had originally planned. Her muscles were sore and weary and her breathe came in ragged gasps. Lights were still on in the streets and she could hear the faint sound of a flute playing in the distance. She walked down what seemed to be the main street, calming her breathe as she did. The elves stared openly as she passed them. They knew she was no human.

She came to a large building in the center of a square and there was a young elven man waiting for her. He was not dressed in the casual clothes of the other elves, but in the leather boots and gear of a forest scout. A bow and arrows hung on his back. He motioned for Ambriel to follow him into the building. “This way please.”

She followed him inside and couldn’t help but admire, as she always did, the delicate elven architecture. It was so different from the mightiness of her mountain home, and yet just as powerful. The elf led her down a long hallway and up a flight of stairs. They eventually arrived at a meeting room filled with elves of many ages sitting around a long table. The times had greatly affected the elves as much as it had the dragons. Ambriel could see that many of the elves were too young to be on a council of any sort, but due to murders of many of the adults and elders, they were forced to take drastic actions. It was the same for the dragons. The young were now responsible with protecting the old and saving what they could of their culture and history.

One elder, the oldest elf in the room, sat at the head of the table. He calmly motioned for Ambriel to have a seat between two younger elves, and she bowed politely to show respect before sitting down. The elf slowly folded his hands within his robes and cleared his throat. The room was silent as all ears waited for him to speak.

“May I ask your name, young dragon?” he asked in a gentle, withering voice.

“I am Ambriel, daughter of Garron and Daeira of the Golden Clan.”

“I see,” said the elf. He bowed his head slightly to show his respect. “It is an honor to be visited by the heir of the dragons. What brings you here to our peaceful village?”

“I have just come from the mountains in the north,” she began. She wouldn’t tell them these mountains were her home. As close as the dragons were with some of the elf clans, they had heard rumors of the changes that occured during their hundred year absence. Stories of elves betraying others, betraying each other. Corruption and thievery. The dragons would not risk revelaing their location to any outsiders, no matter how trusted they onc were. “An army of hybrids and dark creatures destroyed a village there and I believe they are headed in this direction.”

The room immediately erupted in urgent whispers as the elves turned to each other with worried expressions. The elder’s brow wrinkled in thought as he waited for silence to return to the room. “We have heard rumors of an army in this area. We didn’t want to believe them, but it seems now we have no choice.” He turned to whisper to the elf standing on his right. The elf nodded silently and left the room as the elder turned back to the table and addressed the council. “We are a small village and do not have the strength or numbers to face such an army. Under these circumstances we must leave our beloved Fa-Leiran for the city of Tel-Mithrin.”

Ambriel had heard of Tel-Mithrin during her previous journeys outside the mountains. It was one of the few remaining elven cities that had not been discovered and destroyed by the dark armies. No one but the elves knew of its location. She was shocked to realize that the city must be close-by, so close to the home of the Dragons.

One of the younger elves asked permission to speak. “Elder, I agree with what you say, but what of the dragon? She must not know the whereabouts of Tel-Mithrin, no matter what her lineage.” Before the elder could respond, Ambriel stood and spoke. “I do not wish to make you feel uncomfortable in any way. I merely came to warn you and now my task is done. All I ask is for some meat and a warm place to rest as I am tired from my journey.” Her golden eyes scanned the table of elves as she waited for a response. The elder nodded and raised his arm, motioning for a young elf maid to enter.

“Aewyln, please accommodate our guest in the chambers upstairs.” The maid bowed and motioned to Ambriel. Ambriel bowed to the council and to the elder before following the maid out the door and up another flight of stairs.

The chambers were already prepared, as if they had been expecting her all along. A bowl of beef stew awaited her on the table by the bed. She thanked the maid and hungrily swallowed the delicious meaty chunks, leaving the vegetables in the bowl. Ambriel neatly removed her armor and leather gear and then checked the wound under her arm. The cuts were not very deep at all. She opened up the pouch hanging off her belt and chose a clean cloth to wipe away the dry blood. The wound had already begun to heal. She gripped the amulet at her neck and closed her eyes.

Thank you Jade.

Ambriel silently retrieved a needle and thread from her pouch and began sowing up the tears in her clothes. In fifteen minutes her mending was done and she settled down in the soft bed for some well needed rest. The amulet pressed against her chest as she curled up into a ball. It felt strangely warm and comforting.

Please let me have no dreams tonight.

19. Terra Valentine

Mas!

I left out the next bit, editing it for her benefit. "They left me there in the street to die. I was bleeding and I was in pain. I waited for death to come to me.

"Then, out of the darkness and into the light of a lantern came a tall figure. He was pale in the moonlight and his facial features were outstanding, like a God come down from the heavens. He was beautiful. When he smiled, his teeth shone in the light.

"'Do not fret, my child,' he purred kneeling down at my side and slowly caressing my cheek with the back of his icy cold hand. 'You will be safe. I shall not bring harm to you.'

"With that he picked me up like it was nothing, as if he were picking up an empty box. I must've passed out because the next thing I knew I was in an unfamiliar room, the lights were low, and he was sitting next to me on a double-wide bed covered in satin sheets. I was thirsty, but not for ale; not for water. It was a blood-thirst, but I hadn't recognized it yet. I just had the overwhelming urge to kill... something, anything.

"'You are thirsty,' he said, his voice melodic. 'I can see it in your eyes. They're red as dawn.' He quickly disappeared and within two second had returned, a young woman struggling in his tight hand. He motioned for me to stand and I obeyed. 'Come, my child.'

"I could smell this woman's blood. It had to be blood. Nothing else had that bitter smell, like salt and rust. He grasped the back of my neck and guided me to hers. 'Drink,' He whispered as he removed his hand from my neck, allowing his fingers to run through my hair as he did so.

"Instinctively, I bit down on her neck and let the blood spill over my lips, my teeth, the back of my throat. It was so warm and the feeling was so sensual. I gripped her arm in ecstasy and she let out a bloodcurtling scream. 'You're stronger than you were, my darling,' My Creator said. 'You must be careful with your new strength.' I gripped her less tightly. After a minute or so of the euphoria, I drank the last bit of life from her and she fell to the floor.

"I never saw my Creator after that day. He left me that night, brifely telling me the basics and rules of my new life. One, I could never, ever tell anyone what I was. It would break the code of secrecy. Not that it would matter much. We're virtually indestructable. Nothing can touch us. Two, I had to watch my strength and speed around mortals. That would also give us away."

I quieted, lost in thought. She sat up and scooted closer to my side. She lay her head on my lap and I stroked her hair.

"I'm so sorry," she muttered rubbing my calf. She interlocked her fingers behind my legs, like a child hugging their parent around the legs. I smiled down at her.

"It's okay," I soothed. "It's in the past."

A light flashed before my eyes. The oceanic view melted into one of chaos. There were soldiers running, fighting, killing... Shouts of pain, pleas, and orders. A lone general sits upon a tall, black horse watching over the battlescene.

Yes... yes... Kill, maim, slaughter. Yes, that's it. Ha Ha Ha!
    Obey your master!

A nearby soldier hears this and looks up, anger in his eyes. The general just looks at him.

You'll never overthrow the Militia... The soldier says, drawing his sword.

We'll see about that. The general smirks and in one quick movement, the soldier's head rolls across the grass.

"Naomi! Naomi!" I heard Laura's voice. I reached for it. "Naomi! I'm here, I'm right here!" I felt the cool, soft texture of skin. My eye flickered open. She was standing over me, her eyes wide. "Are you okay?"

I tried to sit up, but this made my head do funny things so I decided against that. "I'm okay, just a little disoriented." I looked at the sky. It was darkening. "How long was I out?"

"A few hours," She replied. "You've been tossing and turning and shouting." My head was becoming less clouded so I sat up. My stomache churned. I leaned over the boat's edge and vomited. Blood spewed from my mouth. Laura looked away disgustedly.

"Sorry," I muttered as I wiped the blood from my mouth.

"It's fine," She was lying. Her face was telling me otherwise.

"I saw something, Laura." I said, my thoughts clearing up. "There's a general... In the Militia... He's planning to overthorw it! They were burning something... A city, I think... He killed someone... He killed a soldier... The soldier knew... He knew..." I was babbling, but I didn't care. She still understood what I was saying.

"It's okay," She whispered bringing my head to her chest and stroking my hair. It felt oddly comfortable. She was warm. I could hear her heartbeat in my ear. I smelled her blood flowing through her...

"No!" I exclaimed, pulling away with such force that she stumbled forward. She looked extremely bewildered. "I don't want to put you in danger. I'm already thirsty enough." I faced away, out to sea.

"Sorry," She mumbled. Hurt integrated in her voice. I turned to look at ehr. Her face was down and she was fiddling with her fingers. I went to her.

"Don't be, it's not your fault. I just... I don't want to hurt you. I can't have that kind of temptation so close to me." I stroked a strand of hair back behind her ear. She looked at me. "I don't want to hurt you." I kissed her forehead.

Suddenly, a strange bubbling noise erupted from the side of the boat. I looked over the edge curiously and when I did a huge serpent-like monster shot up inches from my face. He looked like a Kuon Waterdragon. His eyes were a violent lemon yellow. The scales that covered his body were a deep navy blue, to match the water. His teeth were long and sharp.

He looked at us, hunger in his wild eyes. I stared. He was huge. Too big for me to take on my own. His strength matched, if not exceeded, my own.

He pushed the boat with his tail, making the boat rock uncontrollably. Laura fell over. I merely braced it with my legs.

Food... Moving... I want... He launched at us. Laura covered her head and lay down in the fetal position on the boat's floor. I sidestepped the attack and delivered the hardest punch I could muster to the side of his face. He emitted a low squeal and shook his head.

Fights back... Hurt a little... Food... He launched again, but this time I wasn't so lucky. He missed, but his tooth skimmed me, causing a small laceration to appear on my bicep. It healed instantly. I hurled myself at the dragon and latched on to his neck. With all my strength I bit into his scaly neck. I didn't even leave a mark.

All of a sudden something grabbed me from behind and threw me back into the boat. I landed easily onto my feet and looked up to find the new attacker. I found it alright, but it didn't seem to be another foe. Instead, it was flying around the dragon's head, further irritating it. It was the most beautiful animal I had ever seen.

It was a beautiful, massive white tiger, with forest green dragon-like wings and tail. Sharp spines lined its tail down to the tip. I stared in awe as the animal struck the dragon with such force that I swear I heard something crunch. Within minutes, the animal had subdued the dragon and came to hover in front of our boat.

Have you rope? It's thoughts were clear as day. I shook my head, stunned by the creature's enormity. Climb on to my back. I obeyed without question.

"Laura, it's safe. Climb on." She peeked out from under her arm. We made eye contact and slowly she joined me on the animal's back. We took off toward the mainland, Laura clinging desperately to my back.

20. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Name: Talaris Echain (pronounced EKANE)
    Notable Aliases: Skull
    Race: Somnium (was once a human)
    Birthplace: Unknown
    Eyes: Constantly changing
    Hair: White, long, and tied back behind him.
    Height: 6’0
    Weight: 170 lbs.

Family: None that he knows of.
    Attire: Long black robe with white undershirt. Robe has skull pins sewed onto it. Long black boots and black gloves. Has his left ear pierced with a dragon fang.
    Weapon of Choice (Max of two): Katana
    Weapon Description: A curved blade that is stained with crimson blood. It’s hilt is in the shape of a skull.
    Notable Powers (Max of two): The ability to enter and change dreams of people, as well as their minds. Can also influence their minds, like a limited form of mind-control.
    Description: Talaris is a Somnium, a mysterious race of creatures that can influence peoples’ thoughts and dreams. They look like humans, but they have eyes that glow with every possible color, and they have two small horns spouting on their foreheads. Talaris was once a human, but he was somehow changed into a Somnium. He then lost all memories from his previous life, and was forced to consume people’s minds to survive. Every time he consumes someone’s mind, they become a Dark One, and he remembers a little more of his previous life.

1 person likes this.
  21. Bick

Bick New Member

I handed one of the cookies to the robed man, and another to Nathaniel, taking one for myself.

“I’m Adelaide Bequem, but please, call me Addy.” I said, the robed man’s hand and shaking it.

“Father Laramy Swift,” he said breaking the cookie in half, “But please, call me Larry.” He added with a smile. I smiled back. It explained his sweetness and helpfulness, he was a priest.

“It’s wonderful to meet you. Thank you again for all your help.” I said, taking small bites from the cookie. Nathaniel sat in his chair his cookie uneaten in his hand.

“This is Nathaniel, but I call him Natty.” I said pointing to the somber boy, “And something seems to be the matter.” I gently walked over, picking Nathaniel up and sitting with him in my lap. I stroked his hair and he nuzzled into my chest, and began to cry.

“Aw, honey.” I said gently stroking his hair. We all sat there momentarily only the noise the wind and the sobbing child filled our ears.

“Father, I know I shouldn’t be asking this. Maybe you’re suppose to stay here.” I said, looking at my feet nervously, and adding in a whisper “I’m joining the rebellion.” I quickly got up.

“Will you come with us?” I said, quickly putting my hand in front of his face before he could speak, “Don’t decide yet. I’ll be back, and you can tell me then.”

I held the boy in my arms, and he snored away, putting both of the cookies in my satchel for later. I walked to the house next to the bakery, the one Uncle had said to go to. I gulped as I knocked on the door. I heard the sound of footsteps from behind the door, and suddenly half the face of an old woman came into site.

“What the hell do you want?” she said her voice full of venom.
    “I’m looking for Gregory.” I said, trying to keep the shakiness from my voice. She quickly opened the door, and thrust us in. She pointed to a closed door. My legs shook as I knocked on the door. A drowsy-eyed man opened the door, with a look of surprise on his face.

“We never get women.” He commented and he waved for me to come in. I sat down in a chair near a bed where he sat.

“Much less women with a child.” He mumbled, “Are you sure you know what you’re doing ma’am?”

“I’m sure. I’m doing what my Uncle Thomas Bequem wanted me to do.” He looked at me with a grin on his face.

“He was a good man.” He fumbled through a pile of belongings, “It was a shame he got caught.”

“Yeah.” I gulped as I fought the tears, “Anyway, can I join?” He nodded and handed me a note.

“There is a group of us out somewhere on the border of Ghjiet and Haven Valley, give them this note, and they’ll let you join them. You’re one of us now.” He said with a smile. I put the note in my satchel, and shook his hand.

“Thank you.” I said walking out his door, and soon later out of the home itself. Nathaniel quickly began to wake up, and I put him down as I walked towards the bakery with Larry still sat.

“I’ll come with you.” He stated.

22. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Name: Ramela Freelae
    Notable Aliases: Regine

Sex- Female
    Race: Humano-elf
    Birthplace: born in India, smuggled to Brystal
    Eyes: black rimmed-chestnut brown
    Hair: black
    Height: 5’0
    Weight: 91 lbs.
    Family: Parents abandoned at birth, a twin sister present somewhere, her adoptive elf family was killed.
    Attire: Overflowing black top with shrugs, flowing black skirt and a black cap.
    Weapon of Choice (Max of two): wand and staff.
    Weapon Description: The staff is majestic and has a long sheath here I place my wand, both things our unstoppable magic when together.
    Notable Powers (Max of two): Psychic, can see the future. Also contains power to change the future, a concept she uses rarely.
    Description: She was sired by humans who didn’t want her, but brought up by elves. She’s a mysterious character. Young, but mature, careless, but trustable. She’s out for revenge of her family’s death.

1 person likes this.
  23. thelastblueberry

Mission 3: Part 3 (Final) ~

All she could see was red. Her strength was leaving her fast. Jadira’s blood and the blood of three dragon elders and two dragon warriors pooled at her feet, thick and warm. The blood of the elves that had betrayed them dripped from Ambriel’s fangs. It was too late for the others, but Jadira’s scaly chest heaved laboriously, struggling to breathe.

Ambriel! Where are you! Amber don’t leave me!

I’m here Jade. It’s ok. We won’t die, I won’t let you die. Not like this.

They said father called for an emergency council…

Hush Jade, they’re dead. The rest will all be dead soon. Her golden eyes blazed with anger, but her body was growing weaker by the minute. She nuzzled the gaping wound on Jadira’s chest with her scaly muzzle. She tried to lick away the blood, hold it in with her body weight, but it would not stop. The wound was too deep. She heard screams in the hallway. A fully grown, muscular dragon with dark blue-black scales burst into the hall, his golden eyes identical to Ambriel’s, raging with anger.

Toran… it won’t stop-

Amber!
    Toran caught her against his shoulder as she began to fall. The weakness had spread to her legs. She could no longer stand. Death’s cold hands were creeping along her body, reaching for her heart.

She could hear his voice cracking in her head as he desperately tried to stop Jadira’s bleeding. The sounds of battle came from the distance. All the dragons in the castle knew of the betrayal. They were outraged. No one expected the dark ones’ corruption to have reached so far. The elves were the last ones the dragon’s could trust, but no longer…

So many voices entered her head at once. Her mother was screaming and crying. Her father’s voice boomed with fury. The voices of the council, her friends, her aunts, uncles and cousins, all erupted in roars of pain and anger. Jadira sobbed and Ambriel closed off her mind from everyone else. She struggled towards her sister and lay her head against hers. Their identical blue-purple scales shined under the tears streaming from their eyes. Death was near now.

Amber, I’m sorry. Because of me we’re going to-

Don’t say that Jade! It wasn’t your fault. Don’t blame yourself.

I should have seen it coming! I should have known...

Toren lay his head over both of their’s, nuzzling them. Jade, I need you to repeat what I say.

The room had begun to spin. Ambriel could barely breathe. She could barely make out the spell Toren was weaving. She could barely make out Jadira’s voice, it was so weak. By the time she realized what her brother was doing, it was too late. She wanted to scream, tell him to stop, but no sound would come out. The darkness consumed her.

Ambriel awoke suddenly. The bed sheets and her cotton robe were soaked with sweat; her whole body was shaking. She reached for the amulet at her chest. It was blood red and furious. Ambriel held it to her cheek and closed her eyes.

Calm down. It was only a dream.

It was very early in the morning, the sun was still rising, so she had not been sleeping for long. But it had been enough to renew her energy from the day before. Her body was sticky with sweat. She noticed a door that led into a small washing chamber. She took her time running the cool water over her body since she knew she had at least another hour before the elves began waking. It relaxed her still slightly sore muscles.

It was after she had finished drying herself off and pulled the cotton robe over her shoulders that she felt something was wrong. She went back into her room and began hurriedly getting dressed. The feeling grew worse as the light from the windows grew lighter. She had just finished adjusting her last piece of armor when the door to the room burst open and several armed elves flooded the room. She recognized some of the faces from the night before. They were all armed with bows and swords, all pointing at her.

Ambriel’s slit-like pupils narrowed as she faced the robed elf that now walked through the door. He was the one who had been standing at the elder’s right hand the night before. His dark hair framed his perfect elven features that revealed absolutely no emotions.

“You’ll have to forgive us your highness, but desperate times call for desperate measures. The army is already within sight and there is no way we can escape them without some kind of distraction.”

“So you’re going to give me to them in exchange for your lives.”

The elf smiled politely. “That is the general plan. And I do hope you’ll go willingly. A living dragon is more valuable than a dead one.”

Ambriel’s muscles tensed as she struggled to control her anger. She held her chin up defiantly as she allowed them to escort her out of the room and down the stairs. If she were in her true form, they would be nothing. She clenched and unclenched her fists as she imagined their bodies being crushed by her jaws.

At the bottom of the stairs awaited the rest of the council with more warriors. Ambriel scanned the room until her eyes fell upon the elder. He turned away from her, staring at the floor, too ashamed to meet her gaze. This plan had clearly not been the elder’s idea. Of course not. The old elves, the elves she had grown up with, would never even consider this kind of betrayal. These elves weren’t influenced by the dark ones either. The young ones were just so desperate to save their community that they would resort to the lowest of actions.

As they walked out into the sunlight, Ambriel could see the whole village had gathered to see her. Ambriel glared at them, allowing the anger and hatred to flow freely from her golden eyes. The amulet at her neck seemed like it would break free at any moment, releasing the writhing being within. Some of the elves, upon seeing the crimson jewel, stepped back warily.

As the escort brought Ambriel to the edge of the village, she could see it was only a matter of hours before the army arrived. The dark creatures filled the horizon, a seemingly endless ocean of evil. Ambriel turned around to face the village and the dark-haired elf who had plotted this betrayal.

“May I ask your name, dark-haired elf?”

“You may. I am called Tahal Myrthrahael.”

“Tahal Myrthrahael. For your deliberate betrayal to the Golden Dragon Clan, I sentence you to death.”

24. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Mission Three

It was supposed to be quick and easy. I'd go in, consume a few souls, and hop on out. But so far, it wasn't turning out that way.

I first saw the dragon maid as she was dispatching a few Dark Ones. I peered through the bushes, watching her slash one with a sharp blade.

I licked my lips in anticipation. Her soul would be one full of spirit and fire. She'd make a good Dark One, also. I followed her, passing through the thicket without making a sound. She came upon the elf village, and entered a nearby inn.

Strange...I thought Dragons don't trust any other races...

I walked through the door and listened to her. Obviously, I was invisible.

“I am Ambriel, daughter of Garron and Daeira of the Golden Clan.”

Ambriel...what a sweet name. She'll taste like honey.

“It is an honor to be visited by the heir of the dragons. What brings you here to our peaceful village?” asked the old elf, obviously lying through his rotted teeth.

“I have just come from the mountains in the north. An army of hybrids and dark creatures destroyed a village there and I believe they are headed in this direction," she proclaimed boldly.

How right you are, little girl. My friends are coming closer...ever closer...and soon you'll join them...

As they prattled on, I slid behind a pretty young maid. I ran my hand down her neck and she shivered. I closed my eyes, and placed my hand on her head.

What is your name

"Aewyln..." she whispered.

Who's are you?

"I am yours, master..."

Good...now...be mine!

I entered her mind, simple as it was. Images spun by me; a young girl running through the trees, a young elf boy kissing an elven girl, an elf man closing his eyes and embracing eternal sleep....all her memories floated by me. I reached in and took control of her mind. I raised my hands up and opened my mouth. Her memories suddenly began to spin in a whirling vortex of sound and color. They all entered my mouth, and I tasted them. The smell of spring in the forest, ripe strawberries, the taste of fresh fish....all her memories were now mine. I jerked myself free of her body and returned to reality. Her souless husk was leading Ambriel up to her room.

One down, one to go...

Ambriel thanked the maid, and I entered the room. She spotted the stew on the table and began to hungrily gulp it down. I lazily sat down on the bed and stared at her. I loved her long, dark hair, the way the purple shown through when the light hit it. Her skin was a golden bronze, as if kissed by fire. My lust and desire intensified. I would have her soul tonight.

When she was finished, she began to take off her armor. She was treating a wound as I looked around. She had left a bag of gold on the table. Carefully, I placed it in my pocket. I'd scare her if she noticed it missing, but, that was the risk of fun.

I inched over to her, and blew on her neck. She shivered and swatted her neck as if a fly had landed on it. I grabbed her head and peered into her thoughts.

Please let me have no dreams tonight.

I almost laughed out loud. She would definitely have dreams tonight.

Suddenly, I was assailed by the dream. It was more vivid than any other dream I had visited. All I could see was blood. Dragons lay dead and dying on the ground. One dragon was trying to comfort the other. Too much was going on at one time for me to comprehend. I decided that it was time to get to work. I raised my hands and opened my mouth, ready to consume another soul. The images started to swirl towards me, but then they stopped. They seemed to be struggling against me. No one had ever tried to stop me.

What's going on?

Suddenly, I was sent out of the dream. Forced out, really.

When I came back to reality, Ambriel was surrounded by elves, pointing their blades at her.

-------------
    I'll update later...

Your character witnesses an event that causes them to doubt their beliefs (check)
    Your character finds a bag of gold. (check)

25. Oasis Writer

Surprise! Mission Four!

Participants Allowed: (As of 4/29/08 | 9:09 Pacific Mountain Time)

Evan A. Del Blaine - Oasis Writer
    Drake - chad.sims2
    Adelaide Bequem – Bick
    Laramy Swift - Ferret
    Kiva Caerygin – Titania
    Lucida – Leaka
    Sare – Milady

Participants that must complete Mission Two before moving on: (If I’m wrong, tell me):

Rules:

1) You all have posted before this post. If you want to continue on, you must use each of the below guidelines. They are honestly not that hard. It’s simple.

2) I will remind everyone of the post.

3) You may explain any scenery you like, but avoid all towns.

4) You may find other characters as long as they are apart of the same group as you. (Rebellion, Loyalist, Neutral).

5) In your post at the top, YOU MUST PUT THE THREE SCENES YOU ARE WRITING AND WHAT GROUP YOU ARE WITH! (Loyalists, Rebellion, Neutral)

6) Complete all of the requirements. Those that fail to do so will be reminded. Those that fail to comply, the post will be deleted.

7) Have fun, be creative, and show your imagination and writing skills.

If there are any questions, refer them to the Discussion thread, or to myself.

You are leaving the town you are in to find people that believe more like yourself. You may find characters that are the same group as you. (Loyalist, Nuetral, Rebellion) MAKE REFERENCES TO THE MAP! As you go, you must complete one of the below.

Complete Three of the following Fifteen:

• A chase.
    • Your character witnesses an event that causes them to doubt their beliefs
    • Your character must do something that seems like certain death in order to prove him or herself worthy of something.
    • Your character overhears an army commander talking about committing treason/going against their expressed orders.
    • A natural disaster occurs (e.g., earthquake, volcano, hurricane, etc.).
    • A dark secret is revealed.
    • Your character is haunted by visions from another time and place.
    • Your character meets a mythical creature.
    • A quarrel between two lovers.
    • A conspiracy is revealed.
    • Your character learns a new martial skill.
    • Your character is stabbed.
    • Something embarrassing has just happened
    • Your character or the group must pass through a dark forest.
    • Your character finds a bag of gold.
    Here’s where it blows your mind away!

Word Limit:
    Minimum: 500 Words
    Maximum: 3000 Words

Mission Four: The Arrival

For those that have completely finished Mission Three.

If you have not, complete the above, behind the spoiler.

This is going to take a lot of communication. That’s the biggest challenge. I was going to do something so hard, so extreme, so….amazing! – but I decided we weren’t ready for that.

Find a partner. You are going to need to talk to them a lot and find a way to make you both meet without any plot holes.

NO MEETING WITH ANYONE THAT HAS A PARTNER ALREADY.

PARTNER IN TWOS.

Word Limit:

Maximum – 2500
    Minimum – 400 words

For those that have partners, you have to do the following:

There is a case of mistaken identity.
    Your character has a quarrel with someone else.
    One character rescues another.
    Someone’s pride has been injured.
    The group or your character finds something they're looking for.

Word Limit
    Maximum – 2500
    Minimum - 400

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.