1. Rhys

Rhys Member

Rhys' Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Rhys, Jun 18, 2015.

Note: I pinched some of the layout from Catrin Lewis' progress journal since it was so well organised. I hope that's not a problem. :)

I decided I needed some extra motivation so here I am starting my own Progress Journal. I have no ambitions to be published traditionally; all my work is self-published. Making money is nice but the most important thing for me is making my work available online and self-publishing is free and easy.

Here's a list of my WIPs:

Title: The Luron Saga Part III: The Bear and the Prince (Luron III for short)
    Genre: Fantasy Adventure
    Format: Novella
    Setting: Fictional world Luron, influenced by medieval setting and consisting of three "races" of humans with different skills and natures: warriors, mages and healers.
    First Conceived: 2009
    Premise: Luron III continues to tell the story of Adela Horus, a young mage who recited a long foretold prophecy in book one that set her on an adventure with a group of allies to destroy the beasts that have plagued the land for centuries; little does she know that Luron holds many secrets and the world is a far bigger place than she could have ever imagined.
    Themes: Friendship and loyalty; discrimination; death; corruption; love.
    Current Word Count: 28.4k
    Target Word Count: 45k-50k
    Last Worked On: 14/06/15
    Comments: I started working on this series in 2009. I released Part I in 2013 and Part 2 in 2014. Part 3 is admittedly taking longer than I had hoped, but I'm making progress. Obviously, in the last six years, my writing has improved dramatically, and although I've made many edits to the first two books, I am not opposed to editing them further (which is the good thing about self-publishing) although before I delve back into those, I want to finish this one first. I've been working on Part III since I published Part II, and I'm constantly chopping and changing parts, so this could be a WIP for a while yet.

Title: Welcome to the Jungle
    Genre: Mystery Drama
    Format: Novel or Novella, depending on how the editing goes.
    Setting: Fictional British city Stirlingham, 2015.
    First Conceived: 2014
    Premise: Professional wrestler Jack Vance, who works for the biggest wrestling promotion in Britain, the SWE, is thrown into a world of accusation, betrayal and pressure when he finds out his best friend and fellow wrestler is fighting for his life after a car crash, and when the police investigation suggests foul play, Jack is determined to find out the truth about what happened to his friend.
    Themes: Death; betrayal; mental health; friendship; trust.
    Current Word Count: 18.1k
    Target Word Count: 60-65k
    Last Worked On: 02/04/15
    Comments: I've fallen behind a little on this one, simply due to focusing on other work. It is my first attempt at something contemporary without any sci-fi or fantasy elements (not including short stories). I also have (and have had for most of my life) an obsession with professional wrestling and wanted to explore that world in a novel.

Title: The Meaning of Life (working title)
    Genre: Soft Sci-Fi Adventure
    Format: Novel
    Setting: Post-Apocalyptic Britain (at least 100 years in the future)
    First Conceived: 2015
    Premise: When Gregory Howells, a lower-class, hard-working painter and decorator and father of one in his mid-twenties, discovers a foreign object half-buried in a field near his favourite fishing spot, he fiddles with it and suddenly collapses. He awakens to find himself in unfamiliar territory; found by beings he doesn't recognise and surroundings he isn't able to comprehend. Confused and scared, he tries to figure out where he is, how he got there, who the beings that found him are and where they are taking him next.
    Themes: Human nature; discrimination; survival; death; body and soul.
    Current Word Count: Currently zero as I am still in the story-planning phase.
    Target Word Count: 50k
    Last Worked On: 17/6/15
    Comments: This is a brand new project, still very much in the planning phase, and I realise the premise is quite vague, because I'm not sure how much (or how little) I want to give away yet. I've wanted to write a post-apocalyptic story for a while but I wanted it to be unique and just recently my imagination went into overdrive and I found myself building the skeleton of what I hope will be a novel (but possible novella); it is soft sci-fi though as the themes mentioned above will be the meat of the story, rather than the setting.

My objectives for the rest of the year:

By the end of the year, I'd like to at least finish Luron III and Welcome to the Jungle; and make good progress with The Meaning of Life (working title). I am currently without work so I have a lot of time on my hands; so I may as well take advantage of that and write as much as I possibly can. And if I achieve more than I expect, I may even go back and refine the first two parts of Luron.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

That's a very ambitious list. :D

3. Rhys

Rhys Member

Go hard or go home, right? :)

GingerCoffee likes this.