1. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Books with interesting concepts

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Gigi_GNR, Aug 9, 2009.

Have you ever read a book with an interesting, completely different twist to it, one that had never been done before? What is it?

One example of mine would be Wicked. That was a unique idea, taking the villain's story and going back in time, humanizing the Witch. That was a great book.

2. Aidura

Aidura New Member

I'd say Keys To The Kingdom because of the relationship between Arthur, The Architect, The Morrow Days and The Architect's sons. Oh and the fact that Arthur was only chosen to be the heir because he just happened to be dying was different. You're left wondering how the entire universe got so screwed up :D

3. Green Tea

Green Tea Banned

'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman has an interesting concept. It imagines that the old world Gods that people used to worship before immigrating to America still exist, but they now live reduced lives, at the margins of society, like the poor and elderly. While the new Gods of the internet, TV, and consumerist wealth are trying to make them extinct forever.

In fact, most of Gaiman's novels have interesting concepts. 'Anansi Boys' has a similar theme of the relationship between old world Gods and the modern world.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I think Peter and the Starcatchers is an interesting concept, taking an old tale (much like Wicked) and changing it up a little.

5. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

That one by Neil Gaiman sounds good, I've only read a collab he did with Terry Pratchett": Good Omens, a kind of detached humanitarian take on the apocalypse
    (or lack thereof).

Tad William's Otherland was awesome, even if it did take a while (four brick-size books with very tiny type). He does that thing where you have several completely unrelated experiences - like, VERY unrelated experiences - that actually intertwine very effectively.