1. TTT

TTT New Member

Rights offering to foreign agents, publishers, including e- and audio-books question.

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by TTT, Jan 8, 2012.

Hi,

I know a writer from Eastern Europe, who has 1+M copies of his roughly 25 novels published (detectives as well as tour guides). About half a dozen movies with good ratings has been made based on his stories/scripts or with his participation.

He is interested in finding agents or publishers abroad(any continents/countries). None of his books ever was translated.

What would you recommend here, what publishers work with foreign writers? Should be agents/literary agencies or publishers contacted or it does not matter? Would you recommend publishers(books/hard copies), e-books, audiobooks or something else? What else needs to be considered(what to do or not to do)? What's the normal practices in this case? The rights are available now. I am not his agent, just helping him to establish connections with interested parties.

Thank you.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

he needs an agent/agency that specializes in foreign rights, translations, novels and film adaptations of same... i have several good agent listings i'll be glad to send you if you email me...

however, as he must have an agent and publisher in his own country, they should be the ones seeking an american counterpart... so why are you asking here?

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. TTT

TTT New Member

Thank you for your reply Mammamaia,

That probably was the confusing part, that's why people were reading, but not contributing to the thread, he do not have and never had an agent(in some countries writers not only write, but also take care of all relevant activities, there was no such tradition, as well as there were no agents altogether), so agent(or agents?) will not cross one another ways, it is blank canvas as of now. He is aware of different approach in other countries and would like to find professional(s), who work with publishers/movie/TV companies in other countries and would be able to guide the process in the right direction.

If you need more info in order to give advise, please, ask.

In couple of days I will put together questions I have and email it to you.

I appreciate your offer to help