1. TJ Dailey

TJ Dailey New Member

Quoting Lyrics, but using satire

Discussion in 'Research' started by TJ Dailey, Apr 18, 2016.

I know that you need permission to use song lyrics in a story, but what if you change some words out so that it's a satire of the song. Now, the reader will obviously know what song it is, but does the satire clause make it usable without permission?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

In the U.S., even without being satire you might be able to make a Fair Use argument in some cases, though that's somewhat limited with song lyrics. Parody and satire is generally OK, and you don't need permission for that. The problem with all of these is the same, which is that if the song rights owner comes after you it is going to cost you a lot of money to defend yourself in court even if you are right and end up winning.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I just have to say; I have no idea the actual legal stance on this issue, but @Steerpike is probably right. They seem to know what they're talking about on copyright law.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I should point out that parody and satire still get looked at under the Fair Use factors, so ultimately it still comes down to a judge or jury to make the determination in the U.S.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Where I live you can parody something with very little fear of a writ (cite and praise the original song :)). Severe defamation though, I guess, and a load of money being made may change things. If you're worried and your work is not too derogatory you may be able to indemnify yourself by contacting the rights holder for permission. After all, all publicity is good publicity yes? (generally).

6. The Triarii

The Triarii Member

Satire is fair use, so is criticism ( if you are actually critiquing the lyrics) and even if you are just quoting the song you may still be able to claim fair use.

The problem is even if it's perfectly legal, a lawsuit will cost the kind of money that they probably have and you probably don't.