1. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

Ring the bell and be a quitter

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Garball, Mar 13, 2015.

Art for art's sake? Is it art if nobody ever sees it?
    Woe to the story teller who can't tell a story. This might not ring true to the wordsmiths, those who can manipulate letters into compelling stories, but to the storytellers who cannot find the words. I can only assume that if those in my boat were to congregate, my pirogue could not sink for there be more bodies than water. What of us? The campfire gods, the recounters of adventures gone awry? Those who can entertain a circle, but can't pass the word? The 92,000 word fictions that we can fit in a college exam blue book? Give me a microphone, yet torture me with a pen. Can the craft be learned? Truly everybody who can craft the word cannot write a story, and those who tell the best are lost to the ink. My passion and respect truly lie with those who do both best. For me, I am but an imagination at the bottom of a well with no bucket from which to draw.

2. drifter265

drifter265 Banned

Are you a writer looking for an idea or do you have an idea you're trying to write?

3. Garball

Yes

Swiveltaffy likes this.
  4. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Seems ironic to me that you're complaining about not being a true wordsmith and then here you are ranting in the most convoluted way possible and trying for poetry - and it isn't bad - which tells me you are a wordsmith, but you're feeling discouraged and want a little pick-me-up. What I don't get is what your post is supposed to do? Seems to me like you're going for the "woe is me" route so people will come and say, "You're a great writer!"

You can clearly write. Your post says as much. Stop pretending that you can't. If you want some encouragement, say it straight. If you have a more specific problem regarding telling a specific story, ask a question. It'll help you more than doing... this.

5. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

Yes to which one? Jesus Christ, Garball, if you can't even answer a simple question correctly, you shouldn't be voting, let alone writing!

I think what you're trying to say, is that you think you have a great imagination but no writing skills? Is that correct?Yes or no? :)

Swiveltaffy likes this.
  6. 123456789

I'm actually having trouble deciphering his post. He's equating story telling with art, which is often the opposite.Then he's calling someone a story teller who can't tell a story (also makes no sense? :confused:) He's also using "tell" to mean three different things. So I am confused.

Mckk likes this.
  7. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

I await developments....

123456789 likes this.
  8. jannert

Ummm. @Garball is a long-standing and respected member of this forum, who often gives great advice to other writers. I think he might just be having a bad day, or is testing the waters a bit. Or is annoyed at himself because he's run out of ideas. As I said earlier ...I await developments....

9. 123456789

Go to a bar with college girls. Or guys, for that matter.

Frankovitch likes this.
  10. drifter265

drifter265 Banned

If this is true then I'm sorry to him for what I said and in the tone it was in. All I really wanted to say was that we've all been there and that it takes tears and work to get to where we want and that he doesn't get to get there just because he can write beautifully.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    jannert likes this.
  11. jannert

Well, I won't deny it's a strange post. Let's wait and see if he makes himself clearer at some point. I trust he will.

12. Mckk

In all honesty, I think @Garball might be just having a bad day. Like I said, my initial reaction is really that he needs some encouragement. It's an odd way of going about asking for it. It feels like an odd blend of clear self-doubt and well, showing off... Seriously, you don't write about how you can't write and then write it in basically prose poetry. The post does not read badly - might not be everyone's style but to me it's obvious he can write. I get that people doubt themselves from time to time and cease to believe they're any good at something regardless of whether they are. But would you really write like this if you didn't think you can write? That's the contradiction I can't get my head around and which I find a little annoying.

@drifter265 - from your other thread, I assume you're quite an emotional person. I didn't read everything you wrote and I can see you've since edited or deleted the offending post. I'd just say that in future, if you wanted to express annoyance, do it in a little more... diplomatic way. If you seriously can't think of anything good/constructive to say, rather say nothing at all. You don't know who you could be hurting, and if you antagonised too many people by being overly aggressive, you could probably get yourself banned, which wouldn't help you either. Forums are indeed good for rants. Sometimes we just need to rant, really.

13. Garball

Fellow Writers,
    Please forgive the margarita laden spewings of a madman. Masked in this toxic cloud of inebriation is the simple message that the ability to come up with an idea and even being able to verbally express that idea are not conducive to being able to transmit that idea through written word. Some of us have better imaginations than others. Is that an innate feature? Can we train ourselves to have more of an imagination? Writing is a skill, a craft. While we can take classes and practice to improve our writing skills, how many of us can master that craft? Is there an innate physiological trait that allows some to become better writers? The same can be said of athletes, of geniuses, of contortionists...

Am I giving up? No, not yet. However, I do insist that a person be introspective and honest enough with themselves to be able to ask if they truly have the ability to accomplish something. We can all be good at something, but the simple wanting cannot elevate you to the elite.

obsidian_cicatrix and jannert like this.
  14. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

I am grasping your concept in the nature of thy words Garball; though you may be confounding the psychological pathways of others and turning them to a twisted maze on which they stand at the edge, grasping at the railing but unable to move for fear of falling, much like a child when they first begin to skate.

I also agree with your words -quoted so that we who speak and tell stories in words instead of script may seek some relation to thine situation, but...

SPEAK ENGLISH! :p Garball indeed you confounding bundle of mental fluff you

Edit: Also you can do it. I pretty much gave up for a few months now (yeah... despite my last thread...) and then my brother suddenly tells me that I can make that story amazing and that it could be really famous or something when published.That made my jaw drop since he'd always told me to shut up whenever i talked about the book!

Hmm... something tells me he was saying shut up and write it. Not just talk.

15. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

Maybe it's still too early in the morning, or maybe it's the head cold, but I don't understand why someone who can verbally tell a good story cannot write it down. It's just dictation.

16. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I expected to see a link to some bogus 'health supplement' at the end of this.

Shadowfax and jannert like this.
  17. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

I actually understood everything from the first post, and I totally empathize.

18. nastyjman

nastyjman Contributing Member

The only one who can tell you to stop writing is yourself. There are a lot authors out there: some bad, some atrocious, some bestsellers. But all three are out there, selling books, displaying their tomes on the dusty decks of dilapidated store fronts. Critics give praise. Critics give raspberries. But writers write.

Are you doing it for art's sake or for your sake?

A craftsman works on their craft, hoping to profit, but still honing his craft by making furniture for his use. He keeps these for himself, to ornate his humble home, and until one day, he asks himself, "this chair sucks." So he goes back to the shop, starts anew and crafts a new chair. And he improves the other furniture he owns. Why? Because why not. It could be a meditation while he sets up the tools on his bench and feels the wood to be worked on. It could be a mantra with every stroke of a knife, shaving off stumps, communing with the tool and the object. A prayer to himself, a chant to center his being, reminding himself that this is right, this is who I am.

Is it art? Hobby? Passion?

Yes.

minstrel and Okon like this.
  19. bossfearless

bossfearless Active Member

I dunno man. Needs more margaritas.

20. jannert

Aha. I figured a margarita-like substance was probably behind that OP! But I thought the better of suggesting it.

As to your question ...well, heck. Take a look at all the writers out there, the ones who are published. Some are phenomenal, some are the kind you'll read again and again, and read their next book too. Some are okay, but you won't read them again. Some are bad writers who can't string sentences together very well. Some create perfect sentences but tell stupid stories.

Yeah, I think there's a gene for genius—although there's a link between genius and knuckledowntoititus that sometimes makes a difference. But don't let the lack of that genius gene stop you! I'm not letting it stop me. We'll all end up somewhere on that spectrum, if we finish and publish.

minstrel likes this.
  21. Darkkin

Darkkin Reflection of a nobody Contributor

I understand the frustrations, truly I do. Then I stop for a moment, usually it's something stupid or pointless that makes me pause, and I realise what I write is drivel, but it's my drivel. I ask myself: Am I sorry I wrote this? No. Did I enjoy writing this? Yes. Did I learn something while writing this? Um, sort of... Would I destroy this piece if I could? Probably not.

Just remember that you're writing for a reason; it isn't always clear why you're doing it, but there is always a reason.

Garball likes this.
  22. Mckk

Oh I got that from your original post already, and I agree that some are better storytellers than others, but being able to verbally tell a story isn't the same as being able to write enjoyable prose. And being able to write enjoyable prose doesn't mean you have a story to tell. All that is fine.

However, this is probably why writer's block is so prevalent. Who said anything about wanting to be part of the elite? First, be realistic about yourself - are you actually good at it? If you're not, admit as much (not you personally, just generally), and keep on writing for your own pleasure without ambitions to publish that writing. If you are good at it and wish to publish, keep on writing for your own pleasure with the aim to publish it one day.

And now, if you are good at it, who honestly cares if you're in the elite or not? I just care that people like what I write. I make no pretence to be the next Shakespeare, nor do I want to be. And perhaps that's why I've yet to hit a writer's block. That's not to say I don't get stuck and don't need breaks - that's simply to say, when I actually have something to write, I have no problem writing it, and I think that's why.

Garball likes this.
  23. Dunning Kruger

Dunning Kruger Active Member

Remember kids, dont drink and type.

Sorry you're having a rough go of it. Hope the rant freed our mind of the angst so you can fill it with more productive stuff. Good luck.

24. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

I couldn't verbally tell a story to save my life. Vocal cords and keyboards are very different tools, each hard to master.

We all have low points like this. Soldiering on is the best medicine. I write because stories are my way of expressing feelings I'm too dumb articulate. Why do you write, @Garball? Is it honestly just to be one of the elite? There must be a part of you that simply needs to put the words down.

Some question! :rofl: Thank you, @nastyjman, you made my morning.

nastyjman likes this.
  25. Garball

Why do I write? I write because I have to. I am a faithful servant to the story.
    Sometimes it is enough to simply discuss an idea of a story to set it free. Other stories need more; they need to be expressed in physical form.