1. Astralwolf37

Astralwolf37 New Member

Good day jobs for a writer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Astralwolf37, Nov 23, 2011.

I'm having trouble finding a job at the moment (big shock right now, I know). I have very specific criteria, which is holding me up. I have anxiety issues and am prone to panic attacks if I have to deal with too many people for too long, however I love things like reception work where the interactions are scripted and fleeting. I refuse to do anything third shift.

My main past experience is in reception work (4 years). I have a Bachelor's in English. I have tried freelance writing, but I found that the pay is too unsteady and I do not like the feeling of having to be creative just to pay my bills. That takes all of fun out of it for me. Writing will always be a side hobby/job. The job I'm looking for now should not drain me of all energy to where I cannot come home and write. I'm looking for other ideas than what I have been searching for:

Clerk
    Clerical
    Receptionist
    Front Desk (for a place that is less busy)
    Mail Room
    Driver/courier
    Data Entry

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm just looking for help brainstorming here. Thanks!

2. L a u r a

L a u r a New Member

One thing to consider is that, as a writer, if you want to continue your personal projects, you might not want to get a job where you sit around at a desk all day. Why? By the time you get home, you'll be sick of sitting down...at least that's what I have found.

On the other hand, if your job can be your creative outlet, you won't have to have personal projects because your job itself could fulfill your needs. That way, you'd have more time to do other things, such as spend time with your family.

I wrote a blog post awhile back about this topic...feel free to take a look: http://thewritersguide.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/writing-professions/