1. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

Your opinion on this por favor

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SuttonMichael254, Jan 27, 2014.

Ok.... so the company I work for has just had 2 of the higher ups demoted and replaced with somebody who is going to take over both of their duties.... and I know that they want this guy to help bring down costs and save money. Now mind you I work in the oilfield, so we put in a butt load of hours, at least 120 a week. I am a supervisor so I am not paid hourly I am paid salary so this change doesn't effect me, but it does my guys. I am asking yalls opinion on this change.... to see if it is even legal

Ok.. so we are on a 3 week on, one week off rotation. The pay period and the days off period (used to be) sunday to Saturday.
    But this new guy changed the days off from wes to tues.... but didn't change the pay period..... so my guys are missing out on a whole lot of overtime that they deserve... because on the week they go off, they only work 3 days... then the week they come back on they only work 4... I know this change was only put in place to bring down overtime... but I don't see it being fair... why start your work week.... in the middle of the pay period... and why stop your work week in the middle of the pay period... I think its..... criminal at best... is it just me???

2. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

You guys don't belong to a union?

3. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Yeah, this is something to take up with your union.
    At least, all the oil and rig workers I know, there's loads around here, are part of the union.
    Keeps shit from happening, usually.

4. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

no union as far as I know.. any talk of uprising of questioning usually results in a pink slip

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

This kind of thing smells like tyranny, especially when it's the most profitable industry in America.

6. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

So I'm assuming when you say oil worker you don't work for a large company or you work for a contractor? I just can't imagine an oil worker not belonging to a union.

7. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

My wife and I were just going on about stuff like this. I read recently that the top 85 richest people have the equivalent wealth of the bottom half of the planet.
    Wealth (85 top)=(3,000,000,000 bottom) And it's moves like you just described that will keep pushing this number further along.

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  8. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

It's quite sad.

9. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

Federal law determines how overtime is calculated, and I don't think it would allow this sort of game-playing. Check the Department of Labor's website.

On the other hand, remember what radio talk show host Bruce Williams used to say: "Everybody loves a whistleblower. Nobody hires one."