1. Michael O

Michael O Contributing Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Road Signs and the Uneducated

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Michael O, May 16, 2013.

"You had to be there to see it, to understand what happened."

The whole purpose of writing well is to place the reader there, to see the story, to understand the whole nine-yards. But on my short story of an "uneducated creature" in the South, I only reached a level of a foul-tip with little contact. Not anywhere close to a base-hit and even further from a home-run.

But I learned something. The meaning and understanding of the word uneducated varies with location. I should have given a better description of the creature but in the short-cutting of the story....It happens.

Uneducated in the South means illiterate and illiteracy here hovers around 30%. I was surprised to learn how even many people living here in the South didn't know road signs' shape are made to help drivers who can't read. Octagonal for stop and triangular for yield and more.

It was so clear to me and others who stood in line at Wal-Mart and watched an uneducated couple as they struggled. Incapable of knowing what items to remove from their purchase to be within the cash they had. For them it's just the daily struggle often faced when out in public. But such is life when it's little more than survival.

Road signs and illiterates surround us and sometime we see so little.....even with our eyes open.
  2. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

Jan 12, 2013
    Now you have given us something in which to sympathise with the couple - before they were creatures, or at least dad was.

Isn't it great how you can change a reader's mind or lead a reader with very simple alterations in the text? In this instance you described the couple, in the original story you told us what they were. It's how we learn