Role Play General Chat

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Raven, Jul 8, 2007.

1. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

I've got one waiting approval at the moment, you can have a look when it is and see if you're interested.

2. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

App, I've been playing your same RP for 3 god damn years. Screw UC, there isn't ever going to be an end to that thing and you'll keep remaking it every time it dies.

3. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

I know. It's called resilience

4. mmarage

No, it's the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

5. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

Can we have a role-play where I still get to be me, but the world changes?
    Imagine I wake up one morning and there is no racism, sexism, homophobia, militant religions . . . Can we play that game?

6. mmarage

Nah, then there's no other side drama to happen along with the main plot, 'sides, our world? Bo-ring, especially if we just stay as ourselves, then it'll just be a meta roleplay. I'd be roleplaying that I was roleplaying that I was roleplaying that I was roleplaying that I wa- Dammit, I'm in a loop now, see what you've done!? XD

7. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Okay, I gotta get this off my chest. Call it a confession or an intervention, I don't care. I gotta say something. I want to join an RP, I really do, but I gotta say this first.

I'm trying to pick one that won't be dead in a week. Dark Skies and Pirates have both gone dark (pun unintended). I was going to make a character for Unnatural Horror, but no one has posted there since Tuesday. I joined Ascension, but that seems to be dead on arrival. Now Neon comes along and I don't know what to think. Four new RPs approved in about a month? Seriously, WTF?

I apologize in advance if this comes across as harsh, but I simply must address the elephant in the room: to all you GMs and GMs-to-be, I would like to know what assurances you can give me, a potential player in your game, that I'm not just making a character to be thrown away? Roleplaying is a committment. I need to know that the GM is as committed to it as I am, otherwise what's the point? Are these RPs being created with the intention of running them to completion or because you thought "hey, here's a cool idea," and threw it up to see what would happen?

I'm not saying I expect every GM to be perfect. Shit happens. I get it. Nor is this intended as an attack on any particular person or game. They're all good... and that's the problem. I'm sick of seeing good games go tits up in a week. If we're just here for a quick thrill, let me know, so I can make a throwaway character instead of ones I actually give a damn about.

*taks seat*

8. halisme

I'm sat around waiting for one more player for Ascension, sleeping till the forums winter's over, then hopefully waking up.

9. TheApprentice

I intend to keep Unnatural Horror going but really don't wanna have to double post to make it happen.

But more players might just be the kick it needs to keep moving...

10. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

A few thoughts from the mind of Jess ;)

--

Not always is it the GM's fault that a game does not succeed. A GM is blamed because it was their game, but it was also one that they cared a lot about. If someone puts so much time and attention into making a game, I'm sure they intended to see it to completion. Circumstances are to blame not the person.

Writing here is a hobby. Reality is, work, school, family, ect. are more important.

Priorities are a hard thing to wrestle. We don't realize we are taking on too much in our life until it's too late. Then, we must drop something we enjoy, even if it hurts (i.e., RPing). This has happened to me. We aren't all capable of being amazing at multi-tasking.

It's unfortunate that it effects everyone else that spent a lot of time crafting the story with the GM, but I respect the GM and know they are a person just like me that is trying their best.

There is still much to take away from an RP that did not end...new ideas, learning, friendship, confidence.

I hope to be able to witness another game here see completion, but in the meantime, I will enjoy RPing for the fun & learning, no matter how long it may last.

obi-sem kenobi and AnonyMouse like this.
  11. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

@halisme and @TheApprentice
    Thanks for letting me know. I will probably join Unnatural Horror while I wait for Ascension to get rolling, but I guess I'm just a little burnt out on the current state of affairs on the RP forum. It just feels like we've been striking out a lot lately. I doubt I'm the only one who's noticed it. Opinions may differ on why the forum is so quiet, but I can't be the only one.

@JessWrite
    I understand things happen and writing / roleplaying ranks low on the list of important things in life. But isn't that the purpose of the discussion threads? If someone can't post, (be it a GM or player,) all they have to do is say so. If they're physically cut off from the internet or this site, that's another story, but I don't think that's the issue in most cases.

I'm guilty of it, too. I've had days where I'm too busy to post or can't think of what to post, so I say to myself, "I'll write something tomorrow." Then I fall into a pattern of doing that over and over and over... next thing I know it's been a week and I haven't posted anything or said a word in the discussion thread. It's bad enough when a player does it, but an RP can keep moving without a player or two. When a GM disappears, it's pretty much game over.

I agree that this is a hobby, but any hobby that involves collaborating with other people requires a certain degree of commitment. And I admit I was too hard on GMs; your post has made me realize that. The commitment should be shared by everyone. I, for one, will try to communicate more. If the game looks like it's flatlining, I'll say something and offer help or ideas or something, instead of just waiting quietly for someone to post and then getting frumpy when no one does. And I should give out more likes. Here's one for you. :)

JessWrite and obi-sem kenobi like this.
  12. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

As the new boss around here.

I operate on something of somewhat a gamble kinda operation. I've been on WF a long time and played plenty of games....most have not seen completion aside from maybe three. But I don't really mind as I got a lot of new characters and ideas to play with in my own writing.

Anyway not just WF but every RP site I've been to games just normally die. So I approve what I can and hopefully one out of the many will prove to see completion.

Of course I want them all to but just going on experince.

I'm quite a bit more busy then I was in my 2012-2013 days. In fact I'd say everyone who was around back then is either gone or more occupied.

Which isn't bad.

We got new people to.....which we need. ALWAYS NEED NEW PLAYERS!!! We are a very small group still atm

I've very much accepted most games won't reach the end but you all most hold out hope for the ones that will. I'm quite saddened that we aren't fast and posting crazy as we did in the old days.

It wasn't that long ago actually but a couple years can do a lot of things. I do hope we can get back to how it was in the old days even though I'm not as active as once was. I'm more on the side lines now but this site and the memories really helped me a lot and all the lovely people I met.

I'd like to make sure my run as the 5th mod can at least have a good note :p

SO!

I say we just kick back for at least a couple more days to a week at the most (at the most I said, so nobody leave) and we see how the current games are going. If things don't start picking up pace, games don't move or die and such.....I'll consider drastic measures.
    Of course the drastic measures may involve a lot of PAIN FOR ALL OF YOU!!!:supercheeky:

Anyway hopefully things start moving within the coming days.
    If not I'll take the nuclear option. :supergrin:

But anyway its not GM's fault or players fault. It is just a matter of life and time taking its toll on what is the smallest section of the forum (I think) at the end of the day. I'm not saying RP section is dead forever or anything but in transitional times things can become slow and such. So it is a hope that we can at least build things back up before all of us ....ACTUALLY become so busy we can't do this and we leave it to the next generation.

I know that sounded grand and epic but I'm feelin all emotional and sexy like a TRUE LEADER. :p

WE CAN FIGURE THIS OUT TEAM!!

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  13. Kingtype

Maybe we can get the debate room people to take out their aggression roleplaying instead.

@Wreybies

How does that sound boss? :p

Can we close the debate room and have them just brawl it with fictional characters in the RP section?

14. Kingtype

HOPE EVERYONE IS HAVING A GREAT DAY!! :)

15. Baki

Baki New Member

Hey, I'm a newb, and I love rps, although I've noticed on this website rp is treated more like dungeon and dragons, which is alright, although I'm not well versed in this style of rp format. x'D So forgive me if my ideas are going to sound horrible. Or if I got the wrong idea entirely.

------

I was reading the RP board rules and I was wondering if I could suggest a game/rp.
    I want to know what others think.

A rough draft essentially:

Setting: Earth

Beginning-ish story-ish:

Human civilization is doing fine, and just as dandy as usual, although some newer life forms/species seem to be finding their ways into human cities, town, ect. Perhaps due to humans spreading out into what used to be untapped forests, ocean floors, and deserts, thus releasing new life forms.

Rules:

1. No magic/super power/super natural characters

There has to be a reason for why characters or character species can do certain things.
    Like if a character can fly it must have wings, a buoyant body, or something that makes sense why it'd fly, not the excuse of magic or super powers. Characters must abide by the laws of physics, I guess I must say.

2. Each new specie will be treated as a new thing altogether by human npcs

The humans in the story are very like todays modern day humans. They very much don't like ugly things or things that go against their moral standing ground, and perhaps they get a little too excited about new things too.

Human looking specie or ones good at mimicking human body form may get a pass on human npc reactions.

Character sheet:

Name:

Species:

Origin:

Biology/ Abilities:

Appearance:

Human or Human Like- Yes/No:

From a Civilization- Yes/No:

-Optional-

Civilization name:

Intelligence level:

16. Bookish_Introvert

Bookish_Introvert Member

I like to roleplay. Has a Fairy Tail (manga) RP ever been tried or done recently?

17. TheApprentice

You guys wanna hear something sad?

I started writing a novel a few days ago, and today I didn't really work on it at all, didn't even think of it. But I thought I had posted in an rp here and checked for replies, saw there were none, and then realized what I thought I had posted was actually part of what I wrote.

18. TheApprentice

I don't think so. People like to post their own worlds and original ideas here. Not sure how it would go over but you could try.

There seems to have been some new people recently who tried to join inactive rps that were based on TV shows, Mangas, etc and I guess they left after seeing lack of activity and probably assumed the site was dead. It seems pretty dead around here but I come on herr pretty regularly still.

19. Nidhogg

Nidhogg Member

I'm interested in starting up an RP over the summer, as I'll have a lot of free time and I'd like to use the RP as a motivation to write during this free time. However, I'm not too certain with what kind of thing I'd like to go for or how RPs are done on this forum- I've done forum RPs in the past, but from looking through the kickstarter and the forum RP rules it seems like things work differently here.

With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a general trend in how character capabilities are quantified, and how combat takes place? I've seen some kickstarters using dice and a more traditional roleplay schematic, wheras others work moreso on prose and the writer's discretion- I just want to know if there is an overall preference, or if you just do whatever you want to do. I was also wondering if there were any particular story types or plots that have a tendency to last longer, as I wouldn't want this to be an RP that falls flat due to plotting issues.

20. halisme

I'd recommend joining a few other people's games first to get a general sense of how they normally go. And most of the time it tends to be left up to the players discretion.

21. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

Considering starting an RP, wherein the character classes are based on fairy tale archetypes (Snow White, Big Bad Wolf, etc). I have a couple of ideas on which direction to take this:
    *an urban fantasy setting, about a Men In Black style agency which polices fairy tales trying to happen in reality
    *a fantasy world setting, where fairy tale tropes dictate events, and the known characters are real
    Any thoughts?

22. halisme

So the Wolf Among Us or the Witcher Series. If I have enough time by then, sure.

23. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

TWAU is based on the fable comics, yes? I've never played it or Witcher. I always assumed Witcher was a more generic fantasy game

24. halisme

Correct about the Wolf Among Us. The Witcher, specifically the third game, is less generic than it looks thanks to its Polish roots and some excellent writing.

25. halisme

How do people feel about gear systems in forum style RPs?

26. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

say what now ?

zoupskim likes this.