Role Play General Chat

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Raven, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

How much interest would there be in an Urban Fantasy game about a supernatural police force vs. a deranged vampire lord?

losthawken likes this.
  2. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Yeow people.
    New RPG that you should take a look at btw. https://www.writingforums.org/threads/unnatural-campus.130700/

We're talking about Dark Urban Fantasy, a society where magic exists but is limited to the few that know about it, being part of the everyday lives of certain people living at exclusive and hidden locations where an academy to impart such teachings even exist. Even the creatures of the fantastic lurks there avoiding society, waiting for their chance. Yet as much as our reality, the society of this secret land is corrupted and dirty. How about drugs, murders, shady business, delinquence and more with a little touch of magic, and devilish creatures that pale in comparison with the human's malice?

I suggest you peeking at it, a refreshing idea is always a good welcome.

losthawken likes this.
  3. Simpson17866

Is it generally a better idea to post a new game when there are a lot of other games active or when there aren't a lot?

losthawken likes this.
  4. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

when there aren't as many is usually a better idea.

5. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

@Simpson17866 Activity usually tends to swing with the academic calender. We tend to get bursts when the semester starts, and then slumps during finals and the end of the semester.

This question is one reason we started the kickstarter in hopes that prospective GMs could feel out the availability of the player pool before starting their game. Once its out there, its a pain to take it back and restart it.

6. Simpson17866

@Love to Write @losthawken Thanks. I wasn't sure if 1) lots of active games meant lots of active players (good for a new game) vs. very few active games meant very few active players (bad for a new game)

or if 2) lots of active games meant that potential players would be already committed (bad for a new game) vs. very few active games meant that potential players would be more open to new ones (good for a new game).

7. Arannir

Arannir Active Member

I'm looking for an assistant GM for a RP I'm working on. It's a dystopian/Sci-Fi sort of thing. PM if interested.

8. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Head up, I am very tied up with some crises in my day job at the moment. Or rather the transition into a new one. If anyone needs anything please PM me for the fastest response.

9. lixAxil

People!!!
    I remade the chat room for the Roleplayers of the RPG section of Writing Forums
    Here is the new link

http://us12.chatzy.com/51970256435102

Password is the same, if you don't know it well ask someone who does (A RPer)

10. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Hey guys I'm gonna be gone for three days for a contest in 3D animation. Just thought i'd let y'all know.

JessWrite and Love to Write like this.
  11. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Good luck, Keit!!! :D

Love to Write and Keitsumah like this.
  12. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

Good luck Keit, kick some butt! :D

Keitsumah likes this.
  13. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Not to brag, but no one challenges me at animating any canine and gets away unscathed. :p (we did a puppy defending her owner from a boogie monster)

We struck gold. Onward to nationals!!!

JessWrite, lixAxil and Love to Write like this.
  14. lixAxil

Woah, that's some serious level there xD.

15. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

Congrats Keit! Keep up the good work! :D

16. lixAxil

Let's stop the falldown of the RPG section!!!!

Well, for some this may feel as something irrelevant or unnecessary. But is something we gotta fix to prevent a fall.

As some of the older players may know, the RPG section used to be lively and active, like very active.
    I know that many would call this a slow period, yet each time we're having longer and more static slow periods, sure we have some active games that are working finely, still what I seek is kinda to make this place feel as lively as once was, yet as you can assume, this is not something that I can do alone, neither something that a few can done, we kinda need like a big teamwork of the players.

The main purpose is simple, to revive this place. As thus I had begun this topic here on the chat, so everybody can read it and give their own opinions or ideas.

For this I think some objectives can be proposed. My own suggestions

1) To bring more people to the RPG section. One of the main issues is that there are few active players, I'll risk to say that at most a number of 10 are really active, others ocassionally active and some barely. I know that many have busy time in their offline lives, or more important purposes than just playing writing games, hence why bringing new flesh to this place could be a good measure to make of this place a lively place. What I suggest is well... invite people, this RPG section has a big advantage over many I had been in before, and it's the warmth. This place is friendly and people act like a family here.
    So invite people, promote the section (and the site also xD)

2) To not let games die. I know this is hard part as life is well.... unpredictable, you never know when you'll lack time or interest. Still even if games had to advance slow, don't let them die. GMs must be devote to their own games, not abandoning them unless they really need to, and players the same; if you lose the interest for the game feel free to abandon it, but do not do it in a complex situation, like making a event that puts all the other players in a difficult spot with the leaving of the player that triggered it. AAAAH, I'm confusing myself here, but my point is, do not throw away the efforts of others.

3) To understand the true meaning of the RPGing. This is not a competitive RPG section, neither a demanding one, as previously stated this place is friendly, because the main purpose here is to have fun and to develop writing skills. I'm sure that many players here can claim they have become better writers with the practice here.

I'm sorry for being a bit disorganized and informal, but I'm not good at this stuff. Also as some know my native language is spanish, so some grammar or coeherence errors can exists.

Anyway, propose ideas, give opinions, etc.

Pheonix likes this.
  17. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

^this.

It seems like the biggest thing is that we meted more people. So, we gotta advertise!

Like, we should Zerg rush the introduction threads with kindness and welcoming and shameless promotion of Rp.

18. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

And then once we got them new players cause of dat there advertising we gonna cook em up eat em right Pa?

19. Simpson17866

@lixAxil Should there be more clear suggestions/ideas/rules… about what the GM/players should do, if it does look like a game is dying, to make sure it either keeps going and/or ends properly?

20. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You should! Seriously, think about when you sign up to a new forum, any forum. The mods always give their hellos, but after a couple of forums you realize those are perfunctory. They have to be given to give the rules and whatnot.

Welcome wagon greetings from you guys will point them to community interaction. ;)

21. lixAxil

Hoh? Elaborate that a bit more.
    You mean like proposing rules to ensure a good progress of a game?

22. Simpson17866

Basically. Not scary rules ("you must post every week, even if you don't like what you've come up with"), but something general to point to if a specific game goes in a direction where nobody can come up with something to do next.

23. lixAxil

Mmmm, true.
    Yet if a player loses the interest, it will just abandon the game, rulings doesn't matter on that case.
    You can post a rule that say, don't abandon the game on a complex situation or something like this. But some people won't give a fuck about it.

24. Kingtype

Okay!!

Then if the player leaves the game then!!!

Then we get to eat them

25. Kingtype

Okay!!

Then if the player leaves the game then!!!

Then we get to eat them