Role Play 'Kickstarter'

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by losthawken, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

Ok then, I'll restart the game! @losthawken could you move the old scrolls of ira thread & discussion thread to the archives please? I will post a new one to the forum soon :)

2. motormouth1312

motormouth1312 Member

I mentioned it already, I'm ready to play your game Fox!
    But rule of Role playing with me you call me falco!

3. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

Thanks for sorting that @losthawken, am I alright to start my game now?

4. Windreda

Windreda New Member

Not really sure how this works exactly but anyone interested in an old RP idea of mine that I actually quite enjoyed doing? I'll post down the general premise without getting too specific on the minor details.

Our City Under Cloudless Skies

"I remember the days where I could see the wonders of sky through the clouds that enveloped them. What ever happened to that beauty?"

The Story thus far:

Welcome to the new age of modern living. In the distant future even after the collapse of modern human civilization our society is still running strong inside the only known city still standing: Haven. Built in mind of cleanliness and efficiency newer focus's are always put on the development of current technological innovations. Never before has human society been able to push itself so far and be so prosperous compared to known earlier years, with every able bodied person in society contributing toward a common goal. With new governmental policies our education system is better than ever, pushing out young minds willing to put themselves on the line for our city's future. No one has to worry about jobs as each person is designed a specific work station based on their set of skills determined with pinpoint accuracy so no one can ever be unhappy. New family structures emphasizes ideal modern living as through a Unity application parents are matched together perfectly by your government to ensure a healthy continuance of human population. Housing and recourse distribution are carefully monitored to ensure that everyone is living with comfort and to ensure that overall prosperity may continue even under the most troublesome times. With new train systems and more forms of public transportation there is no more need for cars or clunky traffic, the city's goals are placed above individuality for not only progress but as well your safety. Your government continues to do their part to make your nation, your community, your city...a better place.

It's too perfect...

For those of you with concerns of others who wish to break away from safety and peace do no worry, your government is fully aware of the threat and is mobilizing special safety units to not only ensure your safety but the city's safety as well. But we will need your help, to keep a perfect society away from the harmful influences that threaten to destroy you and your city's life enlist today! After all there's never a shortage on jobs and with our state of the art training program you will be well prepared to protect overall safety and prosperity for years to come.

Yet why is it not...?

Remember any unauthorized materials or actions deemed inappropriate to city prosperity will be quickly dealt with. Be sure to report any suspicious items or activities you see involving but not limited to:

-Unregulated artwork

Why...why can't I paint?

-Vandalism

Why can't I share it?

-Singing

Why can't I sing?

-Illegal Musical Instruments

Nor play...

-Unregistered Documents

Nor write...

-Non Government Approved Music

We can't listen.

-Dancing

We can't express.

Thank you and please enjoy your welcome existence in our city. Remember, your safety and cooperation are our highest concern!

There's something I can do though. Something we are all forced to in the face of every on of these regulations.

Remember...only you can protect against chaos.

We may fight.

___

Present Day:

A seemingly perfect city rises up from a shattered long forgotten past, one that has been rebuilt with the backing of a newly formed government that oversees continued progress within the city known as 'Haven'. It is a comfortable name built upon false securities to ensure mindless non-individual workers that adhere to the conformist policies of this society. Therefore free thinking was abandoned long ago, crushing any opposition proud enough to oppose this and keeping at bay the rest with fear.

Relatively there is no freedom, no more free thinking.

Of course that's what the government would like you to believe. Through the brainwashing school system and aching public service announcements it's not uncommon to witness those born with a gift to see outside of the norms of reality. Our society calls them different and snuffs them out with medication, but I call them visionaries. Born not to live by another's word but to follow their own path in free thinking, to strive toward the dreams set in their mind. So those who survive all fight for that right. They all became revolutionaries, terrorists, 'armed' creative thinkers with a purpose to change society for the better. But it wasn't enough.

They all fought underground, too scared to poke their heads out of hole while forming their little clans of resistance. In reality it was the blind communicating with the deaf, two completely different philosophies that could never be brought together peacefully. Therefore I gave a push, a tug if I may in the direction of the change I wanted to see. It would be change that would come through violence, but one would be a fool to think that this current society did not rise from such means. All we can do is show that we will not let our views be smothered. Let us free thinkers fight for the world we believe in, let us once more be able to pave our own destiny.

What I would give to cherish the clouds again, to appreciate such beauty as a whole.

To this my Haven, I am EDEN.

___

Premise:

This is the tale between the conformist city determined for progress without distraction and the free thinkers who wish to freely express their gift to the world. No one has any choice when it comes to the conflict, sides were quickly chosen and a rivalry would form between the government of Haven and the radical who would spark the free thinking clans to fight.

You will play as either a member of the city police assigned to hunt down and destroy anything deemed illegal by the higher ups at Haven, or one of the free thinking clans that backs up a certain aspect of creative society whether it be art, music, or anything else deemed illegal.

This war has been going underground for quite sometime but only quite recently has it become violent with open fighting and bombing on the streets. Haven Police call them terrorists, The Free Thinkers call them tyrannical.

Conformity/Safety/Progress Vs. Creativity/Free Thinking/Freedom

What side will you believe in?

___

Individual city, faction, and character sheet details are left out just for people to get the overall idea of it. It fell through in another forum in mine so might as well try to branch out.

Anyone interested?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  5. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Hoh?, this is quite the interesting idea.
    And is a radical view of something that is slowly taking shape in our world.
    I like it.

6. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!!!!

And I like it.............

7. Windreda

Windreda New Member

Haha well I didn't think I'd get interest that quickly. It was based off of an old idea and I rather liked the idea of two opposing radical ideas going at each other, one not necessarily better than the other when you look at both the perspectives. It eventually turned into a collaboration of players into discovering the identity of EDEN and trying to work towards compromise but really the story could go anywhere.

I'll keep the idea circulating for tonight and then tomorrow I'll throw up all the proper details including character sheets.

8. lixAxil

@Windreda: Once you're ready to do the RPG and well the discussion thread you have to PM it (Start a conversation) to LostHawken, he is the RPG Mod.
    RPG here advance quite slow, they usually have a very quick start with a lot of people posting, yet after a while they start going slow, that's normal, so don't worry if it happens.
    And yeah is a good idea.

9. Windreda

Windreda New Member

I've been a part of a writing forum for the past four years so I understand the madness that normally comes from developing an RP thread. The way I see it there isn't really any need to have a large player base to pool from to get an RP moving, just a few dedicated players who stick with it and keep it moving slowly but surely. (Even if a large pool does help in weeding out those who are/kind of interested).

But of course I am entering this site and it's Roleplaying standards rather blindly so it wouldn't help to have someone help me out a little with the process. So thank you for the heads up on Pming the moderator and hopefully in this small base of RPers the idea finds some more interest.

10. lixAxil

OH! That too, you may start also with a big pool, yet it will fall apart slowly, however as you said, in the end the dedicated players will stick.

11. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

Sounds like an interesting concept, I'll definitely take a look at it. :)

12. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I would play it ;)

13. motormouth1312

motormouth1312 Member

I like it!!!

14. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

I like the idea of player vs player RP'ing. I think all RP's I've been in were based on a group trying to surive and collaborate, this is a nice spin on that. I think it will be particularly interesting if people actually pick the side that they feel most comfortable with because that will allow them to provide their own reasoning through their characters, so you could sort of have a debate going on inside of the story without resorting to a typical debating format.

15. Tara

Tara Senior Member

@Windreda did you get approval already (just curious, I don't mean to sound pushy or anything :D). I think the concept is really interesting.

16. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

I told Wind it was approved, I dunno why its not up yet

17. Windreda

Windreda New Member

I'm in the middle of outside essays and outside projects I've been working on. I do apologize for not getting back sooner but I am fully invested into this idea and will be posting it up later today. After this week I will be much more accessible than before so any questions, concerns, or ideas feel free to run them through me.

Tara likes this.
  18. lixAxil

Hoh? Windy for a moment I thought you just disappeared and the game was just an idea of the moment. Feel disappointed to be honest.
    Is good to know you haven't though

19. Macaberz

I have waited for several months for the Tales of The Jedi game to be revived, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. I entertained the idea of trying to take over the game, but I felt that would be inappropiate to do. Moreover, some of the old crew have disappeared into the deep regions of the interwebs and reviving that game is simply out of the question.

When I started, I didn't know anything about Star Wars, but I am glad I joined! I have since watched all the movies and read up a bit on the lore. It's definitely a universe worth exploring. What's there not to like about being a space-knight?

I've been playing around with the idea below for several weeks now, and I think I am ready to share it with you all, to poll if anyone would be interested in joining. I'd need about 5 players minimum and would take in 12 at max.

The Fall of The Jedi.

Setting:
    The setting is the Star Wars universe, with a few differences. Most importantly, the events in this role-play take place many centuries after the ones we know from the movies. This is to decouple the history as described in the timeline as much as possible from the events in this role-play.

Plot:
    The galaxy is at peace. Many centuries have passed since Luke Skywalker defeated Darth Vader. The Galactic Alliance has managed to restore peace to the Galaxy and maintain it for decades. The Jedi Order, though weakened by the conflicts of the past, has been re-established under the leadership of Caine Vil.

But there is a disturbance in the force. Three weeks ago Tornik, an icy-planet near the outer-rim was attacked by an unknown alien race. All contact was lost with the Jedi that were dispatched to the planet.

One week ago Yass fell silent as well, but this time some of its inhabitants survived. They reported to the council that an army of Killik, supported by legions of Sith had conquered their planet.

Concerned, The Jedi Council shared this information with all it’s trainee’s and began dispatching groups of Jedi to planets were the Killik and Sith could strike next. Almost all Jedi left the Temple to stand guard at another planet, leaving only some older Jedi and several Padawans behind.

It’s night. You wake up to a loud crash. Then another, and another. The alarms go off. The skies are blazed with gunfire, the anti-air defenses of Coruscant gun down many ships, but many more break through. Soon, the streets have become the main battleground and the Sith-led invasion force is beginning to make its way towards the Jedi Temple.

Rules:

1. GM’s word is law.
    2. Do not control other characters directly or indirectly. You only have control over your character. No one else.
    3. Uphold the timeline. Flashbacks, memories etc are okay, but you’re not allowed to magically move the story several years, months, days or weeks backwards/forwards.
    4. Don’t post oneliners (that is, posts under 50 words).
    5. Keep discussion of the game in the discussion thread and keep the game-posts in the game-thread.
    6. All other forum rules apply.
    7. Read all posts.

Additional Rules:

All too often in RP’s, the game is inconsequential. This is the cost of linear, A to Z games with a fixed plot. Whilst the experience can be highly entertaining, you know your character will live as long as you don’t write a deathscene. You know your side will be victorious in the end. You know that all players will make it there, no matter how many enemies are pitted against you.

Not here. Here, a set of rules is put in place to make all these things uncertain and to enforce a sense of realism.

1. Your character can die. And I don’t just mean that you write your character's death. No, the choices your character makes can result in his or her death. If your rush head-on into an array of enemies with inadequate arms or armor, your character will die. You will not be warned by me. I really want all players to be on edge whenever a fight takes place. Your character could really, permanently die.

2. Your character can upset the balance. If your character decides to scream and cuss at a certain political figure, there will be consequences. In some cases you might get away with reprimand, in others you might get yourself locked up and if you’re totally oblivious to the situation you’re dealing with, you might even get yourself executed.

Remember: the whole idea behind these rules is that there is a lot more consequence to what your character does or says. This will mean that the plot will be directly shapes by your actions. There is a possibility that none of the characters will live through towards the end, so you will have to play at your very best. Creativity and cunning and a strong heart are requirement for this game.

How to get yourself killed:

1. Get your character into a fight he or she can’t possibly handle.
    2. Launch an epic rant/monologue in the middle of a fight.
    3. Self-sacrifice. If you are going to be heroic and take a lethal shot for someone, then you will very likely die in the process, completing your heroism. Of course, the shot could be non-lethal, you won’t know until I’ve done my black magic and decided whether your character will live or die a hero.
    4. Break the realism of the game. Since this is a bit vague, I will warn you in advance if any of your actions are breaking the realism of the game.

Force-points.

Force points are points earned when other players like your post. Force-points can be spend to improve your character.

Good post? Get points!

This game tries to encourage everyone to become a better writer. The better your posts are, the more force points you will receive in return. Force points are granted through the like button. For every like you receive from other players in the game, you will earn a fixed amount of force-points, which you can then spend on improving your character. Only likes from players in the game count.

This system can be abused, but I am simply trusting the participating players not to do so. If you aren’t sure when to award a like, here are some things to look for:

1. Is well written.
    a. Good dialogue.
    b. Good narrative.
    c. Proper spelling and grammar.​
    2. Develops the character.
    3. Is realistic within the context of the story.

Combat.

Combat will done through a digitalized combat-system. Every character will have his/her own private webpage. Essentially, it’s your character sheet in the form of a webpage but with some juicy extras. First and foremost, you will be able to see how many force-points you have, what you’ve already spent them on, what bonuses the spent points grant you etcetera. From this page you will be able to perform the following combat actions:

1. Attack.
    2. Dodge.
    3. Defend.

The system will take in all your character attributes to calculate the result of the selected action, and will display the result. The result will be a string of text indicating how successful your attack/dodge/defense was. The result will look something like this:

#243: Jane’s attack was somewhat successful.

Or:

#244: Jane narrowly dodged.

The number after the # is the Action-ID of your action, which you must put at the end of your post. If you have multiple actions in your posts, you will have to provide all their ID’s. For this reason, it’s recommend you limit yourself to a maximum of 5 actions per post.

Why must I post Action-ID’s? For now it suffices to say that this is an anti-cheating measure.

Sometimes, if you are lucky, the system can reward you force-points for a successful action.

Character Template:

I strongly encourage the players to form pairs of a Padawan and a Jedi Master (I can guarantuee you this will improve your fun dramatically!). If you really want to go at it alone, you can choose to be ‘just’ a Jedi. Note: if you choose to be a Padawan, you must also have a Master, the reverse holds true as well.

Name:
    Role:
    Padawan | Jedi Master | Jedi.
    Race: pick any race from the Star Wars canon. Be mindful though, not all races might be equally suited for wielding a lightsaber.
    Appearance: I encourage you to find a picture either on deviantart or just on google. Text-only descriptions are accepted as well though.
    History: Tell us a bit about your character.
    Good traits: these will affect certain hidden stats in your character making him or her more capable at certain feats! Pick three. You are allowed to come up with some of your own.
    Honest, brave, curious, caring, kind, humble, trustworthy, selfless, hard-working, ambitious, determined, clever, patient, disciplined, strong-willed, creative.

Bad traits: these will affect certain hidden stats in your character making him or her more prone to certain flaws. Pick three. You are allowed to come up with some of your own. Biased, lying, selfish, overconfident, zealous, lazy, unreliable, spoilt, rude, ill-tempered, bossy, sneaky, easily offended, over protective, spiky.

Distribute 100 force-points over the skills below.

Force skill:
    Lightsaber skill:
    Athleticism:
    Technical skill:
    Strength:

Character Cliches (Avoid these):

This is a serious/realistic RP, try to avoid the following character clichés (I admit, I have been guilty of these as well):

The Orphan.

Orphans aren’t always a bad choice, but they’ve been done so often in RP’s that they aren’t all that exciting anymore. Moreover, orphans have little to lose in terms of family, which means they can’t be impacted that way (either for better or worse).

The Mobster.

Your character is so bad, they already have a crime syndicate, are an assassin or are in charge of some underground organization. Please! This is just utterly unbelievable!

The Troubled Teen.

Nothing screams exposition more than an overly troubled teen character that feels the constant need to be put in the spotlight. It’s not the troubles that are evil, it’s the shameless exposition and pretending to be complex and deep that gets in the way from making your character anything more than a cry-machine.

I-am-awesome!

Nope. Everyone starts out with the same amount of force points which they can assign to their character as they wish. It’s much more satisfying to earn that power than to allow yourself to be constantly ahead of the curve.

The Joker (Strongly discouraged).

Of course there should be moments of rest and laughter in any game, but a character whose entire existence revolves around being the funny guy is just shallow. This game tries to be serious and realistic in as many aspects as possible, nothing would detract more from that than a clown character. Does that mean everyone has to be boring? Of course not! Realism is just very high on the priorities list and it strikes me as unlikely that any character would crack constant jokes as the galaxy goes up in flame around them.

The Introverted Recluse.

You will have a miserable time playing with others if your character is too sad or reclusive to talk to; no one wants to talk to these types -- they are real downers to be around! A series of posts in which your character is sighing repeatedly whilst looking out at the city will probably get you few if any likes (and thus force points).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    Mottahko likes this.
  20. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

I like the idea of the RP aside from the only way to level up is to get "Likes." This puts the other players in a position where they have to like a post even if they don't really like it just so that they don't hurt another writer's feelings and hope that they will get likes in return.
    Or if a writer gets a "like" from another writer they will feel obligated to "like" the other person's post even if they don't really like it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  21. Macaberz

@Love to Write
    Fair enough. I will think of another way to earn points then. I was thinking, maybe at the end of every chapter I could calculate how many force points everyone gets:

Force Points = (Succesfull Actions * Number of action posts) / Weighted skill average of your character

I think I can add some more variables to take into account the difficulty of the fight etc, but I will have to think about that.

22. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

I think it is fairly obvious that I will be playing in this -you've never put up an rp in WF before Mac and since you already know how i play, well... yeah im in!

and i just did some research on the star wars creatures and found some very interesting ones... besides the tauntaun there's the akk dog, and the guarlara. I think i should go ordinary human buuuut-

(don't worry i am taking the lightsaber thing into account. and you have to admit the akk dog would come in very handy indeed with its light saber-proof hide...)

*lightbulb* Human girl secretly raising an illegal akk dog pup she found. I got my character!

Love to Write likes this.
  23. Macaberz

Haha okay, you're quick :p

I have sent the concept tp losthawken as well. I am guessing, if more people are interested, that it will be up by the end of the week? Maybe next week? I am still playing around with some plot details...

24. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

I'm thinking Twilek. Haven't decided whether master or apprentice yet.

25. Macaberz

Cool :)