?

Would you be put off by a male narrator in a love story?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. RebeccaMay

RebeccaMay New Member

Romance Narrator, male?

Discussion in 'Research' started by RebeccaMay, Dec 26, 2014.

Backstory to the novel I am planning on writing –

I am planning on writing a love story, so I guess it would be classified in the romance genre (correct me if I am wrong as I am a bit unsure). The kind of love story is more like a One Day story or The fault in our stars, so very much a love story, but thats not the be all and end all of the novel.

I have always pictured the story with a male narrator. My issue is that I am slightly concerned that the romance genre convention states that the story is usually told from the point of view of a female. I have researched this and found out that women are indeed the main readers of the genre, and that a female narrator is often expected and preferred. Then again, is what I am going to write actually classified as a romance?, this is something that I am yet to confirm.

Please answer my poll and help me out! Any comments welcome!

Thanks

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I think it's a great idea.

3. RebeccaMay

RebeccaMay New Member

Thank you, may I ask why?

Thanks again

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I think Endless Love was taken from a boys pov and it did really well. I enjoyed the read. I thought it was much better than the movie. I like Brooke Shields ( I even enjoyed her in some of her stinkers ) but that movie was a snore.

I think girls would welcome a boys pov if it's believable. I seem to recall Ann. M. Martin ( she wrote the Babysitter's club ) got flooded for requests for a story from Logan's pov.

5. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I think you should definitely figure out if you're writing a genre romance or a love story. A male narrator might be okay in both, but it would be a harder sell in genre romance, I'd say.

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Because it's new, fresh, unique. Not that it's never been done, but it's less common.

As for harder to sell, I don't believe that. Women read more romance than men do, but I'm sure they can handle the male POV just as easily as a female POV as long as he's madly in love with a female. I do believe gay love has a different readership.

7. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

I'd say write it, and see what you end up with. I personally like the idea. Some of the romantic bits in my novel (which is not a Romance, as the love story is only part of the overall plot) are written from a male POV—and I've been told it works.

Whether you can sell your story as a genre Romance remains to be seen. But if it's good enough, I can't see it being unsaleable. Just get it written.

8. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I agree, it wouldn't be unsellable as a genre romance. But I disagree that it wouldn't be a more challenging sale. Genre romance has a lot of rules and traditions, largely because most readers LIKE those rules and traditions. I've read romances from the male POV (beyond m/m romances!) but I'm not sure I've read any from Harlequin, for example. Any of the really trope-heavy publishers are going to be a challenge, I'd say. Not impossible, but you might be limiting yourself to some of the smaller publishers.

9. lustrousonion

lustrousonion Contributing Member

A common convention in the romance genre is alternate back and forth from the two main characters. However, it doesn't sound like you're planning on writing a romance but a novel with romantic elements. Or YA fiction.