1. BigStackPoker

BigStackPoker New Member

Couple questions abot plot creation

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by BigStackPoker, May 31, 2011.

Couple questions about plot creation

Hi guys... As an aspiring writer, I have a couple questions, and I think this might be the right place to ask them.

I want to write a fantasy style novel, and I have a general idea of what I want to do and the story I want to tell, but I'm not entirely sure how I want to get to the conclusion.

Right now, I have a beginning and an end, but I haven't decided how I'm going to create the middle. I don't know what method of story generation would fall under the criteria of some generally accepted principles of story writing (if there is such a thing).

When constructing the plot of the story you want to tell, I assume you create some kind of general outline of the events you want your story to contain, but do you generally map out all the major points of your story from the start or do you allow yourself to go on a little adventure with your characters and have the plot develop itself as you go on?

How detailed an outline would you typically develop before you commence writing (even if it's just a mental outline, and not one you're creating, physically)?

Thanks in advance for your help and consideration.

EDIT: I like that my title has a typo... That's pretty embarrassing. I tried to update it, but I don't see the change being reflected on the main page. Oh well =)

2. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

Well, I think you'd be best to map it out in terms of scenes. Scenes can be anywhere for a couple of hundred words to a couple of thousand. Bearing in mind the average book is about 100,000 words you can plan for around 100 or so scenes, than you'll then weave into chaper format, and then into the whole book.

So plan the scenes carefully. Remember that they must too have a beginning, middle and end, and that the characters all have their demands and each one must be trying to obtain them in the scene.

You can always revise such when you start writing anyway, if it doesn't fit in. Good Luck.

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I let my plot develop. I often have an idea for a beginning or an end but nothing in the middle, so I think about it, toy with it and write down any scenes that come to mind. Then I start to fill in the blanks. :)

4. BigStackPoker

BigStackPoker New Member

Thanks for the input, guys. Both of you have talked about thinking in terms of scenes... I think that notion will help a lot.

I hadn't heard the statistic that the average book is about 100,000 words. That's pretty neat =) I would have guessed that books tend to be significantly longer.

I'm still interested in hearing how more of you generate your plot. I purchased a couple books on the issue, but wouldn't mind looking for any further recommendations you guys have, be it a website, a blog, another book, etc.

Thanks again.

5. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I just write really. I might have jumble of idea's in my head and I usually write them down. As I write, the put the ideas in the order I want. At the beginning of a new story, I'd probably write out the plot, a few characters. As I write, the plot makes up it's self in my head..
    I don't know if that made sense lol

6. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

I always have the middle or the climax, then I expand from inwards to outwards the start and the end normally come last for me. For me, now, I have the climax and a few scenes near the start and around the middle. I have no idea what's going to happen at the end so I'll guess I'll just see what happens as I write and jot down possible endings that come to me.

I guess everyone has their own style of plotting. I don't think my stye is all that organised to be honest.

You should check out the 'Plotting' section in the forum.