Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Rousey gets "men's fitness" cover

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Steerpike, Oct 6, 2015.

I think the cover looks good. Rousey is certainly fit. I'm not sure why a fit woman can't be inspiring to men just as easily as a fit man, but apparently some people are upset about this. One person said "...we [i.e. men] have had enough rights stripped away, bias against fellas in laws and politically [sic] correctness where equality in many venues have become inequalities..."

:bigconfused:

Apparently men are so oppressed that a woman on the cover of Men's Fitness is a precursor to some sort of PC-driven apocalypse.

Anyway, I still say cool cover, and Rousey is more likely to inspire me to go to the gym than, say, Carmen Electra, who has been on the cover of the U.S. version of the magazine.

T.Trian likes this.
  2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

I think this goes to show that you can always find someone willing to sensationalise the mundane.

3. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

People just don't know how to pick their battles.

4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

Hang on. Shouldn't men be overjoyed that a hot woman appears on the cover of a magazine geared towards men.

Ooooh, I get it. These men who oppose her cover are actually feminists who are just worried yet another woman is objectified by men.

I've always wondered why no one is selling women's mags or women's fitness mags with scantily clad, muscle-bound guys on the cover. Why is there always a woman in non-existent clothing? Who came up with this marketing strategy?!

T.Trian likes this.
  5. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributing Member

But they do know how to pick their nose.

6. 123456789

Not everything is about sex, KaTrian. These people read these magazines because they are interested in their own health...

7. KaTrian

I was just being a brat. :bigtongue:

123456789 likes this.
  8. Steerpike

In any event, it doesn't look like they tried to make the Rousey cover sexy, unlike the Carmen Electra cover that no one complained about.

9. 123456789

I would say complaining about those complaining about this cover is almost as bad as complaining about this cover

10. Steerpike

Here are three of the covers with women. Didn't see complaints about the last two. Seems to me these guys are fine when a woman is on the cover intended to be an object of their sexual desires, but when there is a strong woman on the cover who could probably snap a lot of the readership like twigs, suddenly their sensitivities are offended.

ROUSEY:

[​IMG]

ELECTRA:

[​IMG]

MENOUNOS:

[​IMG]

(sorry for the large image size)

T.Trian and Tenderiser like this.
  11. Steerpike

I'd say they aren't even close to being in the same ballpark, much less being similar.

Jack Asher likes this.
  12. KaTrian

No, I think it' a cool cover. She's wearing what women usually wear to the gym and she isn't twisted into some weird-ass position trying to show her butt and tits at the same time. But imagine if we talked about what the guy on the cover of Men's Fitness UFC or MMA special wore. "Oversexualized dude pecks! Pouty lips! Who does he think he is, Ryan Gosling?"

People complain because the social media has its anti-feminist pockets that are loud enough to gather attention (and our pity). To them every inclusion of a woman into a dudes-only space is seen as some kind of feminist invasion or a threat to masculinity or an infringement of their rights or whatever. However, to every guy complaining about Ronda Rousey, there's probably like a hundred guys who go like "Hey, look, it's Ronda. Awesome!"

T.Trian likes this.
  13. 123456789

So...that Menounos is something else, huh?

14. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

Shouldn't people be complaining that the cover is the only thing that actually changes month-to-month?

15. 123456789

Sorry. I jumped the gun here. I should have asked what prompted you to start this conversation. Are there a lot of complaints over this cover?

16. Steerpike

I saw a fair number of them on social media, and there are a handful of news stories about the cover and the apparent controversy it is causing. The thing that struck me was that some of the critical comments looked to come from MRA types, many of whom are buffoons. This is exactly the kind of buffoonery they go in for. I think it highlights what's wrong with these people.

17. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

Maybe they just feel cheated out of another month of hunky celebrity beefcake.

18. 123456789

As someone who often disagrees with modern feminism and is continually disgusted by today's PC insanity, I have to say that the reaction to this cover described here seems rather pathetic. Rousey has the spotlight right now and is obviously a specimen of fitness. It paints a bad picture if some men feel threatenedby 135 lb woman posing on a men's health magazine. It's as silly as the feminist reaction to the astrophycisist's cartoon shirt. I think these sort of reactions fall into sensationalism and attention starvation rather than politics.

19. Aaron DC

#DrinkMaleTears #BlackBeltsMatter #YesAllWomen

20. Aaron DC

I went looking for the reaction mentioned and
    1. found no MRA connection
    2. saw other women being mentioned as more worthy (eg Serena Williams)

so it's not necessarily MRA at all (obviously @Steerpike has ample evidence to back up his anti-Ronda MRA buffoonery claim but decided to not provide any) and does not look to be exclusively anti-woman.

I did find the paragons of truth, Cenk and Ana on TYT berating the people complaining, so clearly @Steerpike is in presitgeous company when making those claims.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  21. Steerpike

@Aaron DC you obviously failed to read the OP to the thread you're responding in.

22. Aaron DC

Ooooh cherry picked one response. That does not meet my definition of "ample", but you know, IANAL, so I will defer to your significantly more ample experience. Still don't see an MRA connection either, but hey, I am sure your mind reading powers are legendary and I am just naive.

:superlaugh:

#DrinkMaleTears

23. Steerpike

You seem to be having a hard time understanding what you're reading in this thread. I'm not going to spend much time correcting your misreadings. I'll give it one shot, and if you can't figure it out after that, that's too bad:

I said, above, that "some" of the comments "looked to come from MRA types." Never made a claim about how many or what percentage. Everything beyond what I said has been manufactured in your own head, for what reason I hesitate to speculate. Maybe negative comments about any MRAs threaten you.

No reason to pretend I said more than what I said. You can re-read post #16 in this thread if you think taking a second shot at it will help you.

24. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

I don't understand why it is necessary to debate every comment made by some silly arse on the internet. Someone is always offended by something.

ManOrAstroMan likes this.
  25. Aaron DC

:superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh:

You claim MRA are buffoons engaging in buffoonery. I am sure you have ample evidence, despite providing none, except a single comment.

Here, let me help you sweetie, given your inability to know what you are posting:

many; a large number of, the majority of.

There are apparently 235,000 magazine subscribers, the facebook posts with her picture (there are a couple) get likes, hundreds in fact, and it looks like there is a single comment on the FB page, quoted in your OP and on the various websites you mention.

One. Comment.

The one you posted.

The one all the articles posted. Of which there looks like there are 4? 4 negative comments out of 235,000 mag subscribers? Yeah. Some backlash.

From there you extrapolate or believe it supports your claim that MRAs are buffoons.

One comment.

Maybe you are scared of MRAs? I mean, you are the one who brought them up to put them down yeah?

Doesn't look like much hesitation to me...

Niiiiiice attempt at shaming me :agreed:, but nah I couldn't give a fuck about MRAs, or any of that shit. Generalise another group based on hidden evidence and then seek to support it with a single comment from Facebook, I'll probably respond the same way if the topic is of any interest. Just wonder where your evidence is, of which you must have ample to generalise a large portion / majority of a movement, right?

:superlaugh:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.