Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikhil

Nikhil New Member

RPG is Dying a Slow Death

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Nikhil, May 31, 2010.

The RPG forum is slowly growing inactive since I have been here. When I was here the RPG thread was not really very popular but it was still enough popular to get moving. Ever since Raven has left it has grown inactive over time.

I believe RPG is one of the best writing sections where you get the feel of getting in your character.

I want to urge more people to get active in the forum. :)

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Yeah, Raven got them going, but the only reason the RPG forum got so active was because so many people got behind it. You just need to find some members of the board that have the time and will get behind it. Maybe post a thread in the lounge every so often seeking members out to take part in a RPG.

Another reason it died is because quite a few of our regular RPG posters have been banned now and they were the main reason it was so active, because they were the ones helping to really push it.

I think that if you really do want to RPG, then you are going to have to try and encourage other members of the forum to get as involved as possible in it, push the RPG games as much as you can, or simply find another place to RPG.

3. Nikhil

Nikhil New Member

If Cogito would add this:
    to his message to all new members there would definitely be room for improvement.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That is WAY overselling it, in my opinion. I'll probably add something to my template, but the truth is, the RPG forum is a bit of an odd duck here.

It has the potential of being a good exercise in improvisational writing, but face it, there is a real dichotomy on the site. There are RPG lovers, and there is everyone else. The two do not really mix much.

There was a substantial RPG faction at one point, but most of them departed due to runaway conflict I'd prefer not to go into depth about. A few have hung on, but well below critical mass.

I'm just not that convinced it should be a priority to try to resurrect it. It may be that the level of conflict and hard feelings that arose in the past would not return with a different crowd, but not all of that chaos came from one person.

I must say the current crowd has been well-behaved (apart from an excess of netspeak), and if they can attract more like-minded RPGers, so much the better.

5. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

I believe there's a whole list of people who are real interested in any new, quality RPG that springs up, me included. I think they are just waiting for its creation. If some one starts a decent sounding one, they are almost guaranteed six players, if not seven or eight.

Oh and also, that clip for Cogito to put in sounds like a line from a bad info-mercial. Just sayin'. =/

6. Nikhil

Nikhil New Member

Agreed. :)

7. basefare

basefare New Member

Rpg

What is /was RPG?:confused:

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as this is supposed to be a site for writers and not game-players, i'd be quite happy to see it die off completely... those few who may actually want to be writers of rpg's can post their samples, or ask questions in other appropriate sections, don't really need one set aside for only that, imo...

and those who just want to play can find lots of sites meant for that...

9. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I think that first and foremost, we really need to focus on bringing new members to the forum. Over the last year numbers seemed to have dropped considerably, particularly in the last 4-5 months due to various issues people have with the site rules. Newbies are often poor contributers, trolls, or people that simply like to browse.

If a team of us worked out a way to bring this site back to full health, then aspects such as the RPG forum will thrive in their own time.

My main concern lately, which I haven't voiced until now, is that this forum was dying, let alone the RPG. I'm sure enthusiasm will re-awaken once we get more members, butI have to say, when the site went down yesterday, I was worried it would never come back up.

10. Evil Flamingo

Yes, I feel the forum is dying as well, and I also know it's partially my fault. I haven't been doing enough reviews and participating. Now that it's summer and I've gotten most of my laziness out, I'm starting to get back to reviewing again, which is much needed. I hope many others follow suit and then maybe more people will stay. Sorry for being part of the problem.

11. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

I think it would be great if the rpg section got more active. I haven't ever rpged here, though I have a few times on other forums, but there's nothing that says rpging is worse than any other form of writing practice. It's true that we are not a gaming site, but there are plenty of other writing forums with rpg sections, and I don't think it's a coincidence. I don't know how much people who frequent the rpg section contribute to other areas of the forum, but I see no reason to discourage anyone being active there. RPG and fanfiction are sort of twilight areas, trapped between fansites/gaming sites and writing sites. But if they do anything to encourage people to write, we ought to look kindly on them.

12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The forum actually goes through cycles which are normal and expected. People come, people go. There are highs and there are lows. Such is the rhythm of life. Without this rhythm the forum would become a stagnant pond of guppies and tadpoles who quickly grow tired of having each other's fins in their respective faces.

That the RPG section is in repose, so to speak, is only just a reflection of this cycle.

To be honest, the forum recently went through a rather furious bout of reviewing, which is excellent given that such is the purpose of this forum. Prior to (and also after) that wave, there was a massive wave (I will refrain from saying tsunami) of lounge-lizardism. CLUB FORUM was the place to be, which is not really the purpose of this forum. If there is a feeling that perhaps the forum is on the decline, using the RPG area as an example of said decline, the CLUB FORUM days in my opinion are to blame more than anything.

Ashleigh mentioned that there was a wave of members who had issues with the forum rules. She is correct. Completely correct. This same wave coincided perfectly with CLUB FORUM.

Math, do the. ;)

13. thesims

thesims New Member

I think a rpg is an amazing tool for writers. It's an opportunity for them to familiarize themselves with their characters, see how they react to certain events, etc. I think it's a good alternative to the "character interview" because you get to BE your character and I'm sure rpg players can come up with very bizarre situations. :p

I'd love to get active in the rpg section, but I'm afraid I don't have much time.

14. Evil Flamingo

That's what I've always believed. Endless amounts of practice with keeping a character in...well...character. haha

15. Wreybies

I actually agree with the fact that a well played RPG is a great tool.

All you need to do to make it happen is to make it happen! :)

We can't make people play, but those of you who are interested can make the RPG forum an inviting place by making things creative and making it fun.

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Another important feature of a good RPG is a well-define start date and duration. People need to be able to plan if they are going to commit to a game for its duration.

Letting it continue until it peters out wears down the enthusiasm of the participants, and does not motivate them for upcoming games.

17. nihilcertum

nihilcertum New Member

I agree with Cogito on this point.

I would be interested in an RPG if someone started one that was not so over-the-top fantasy. It could still be fantasy, but not with fireballs and wars between dragons and elves.

18. Evil Flamingo

Check out the two new ones that just popped in the section. Neither are fantasy, both are just starting, and maybe one of them sparks your interest.

19. bahloo

bahloo New Member

I definitely agree with Cogito also on the start date. I tried to join one, but since introducing my character, the RPG has been stagnant. I also believe that RPG's are fantastic writing tools and I find myself drawn to try one in order to improve my writing.

Also, I think that the RPG section does belong here on WF. What other way can we interact and share our writing with a great chance to grow and learn? I'm just guessing, but it's probably more fun than reviewing.

20. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

I haven't WRPG'd in a long time (partly because of my lost team) but I believe it is a very good way to improve one's writing. A writer not only has to plan ahead to keep the story progressing, but one must also work with others to make a coherent and understandable story.

I agree with a lot of what has been said here, and wanted to put my two cents in. However, I must digress with one thing. ;)

It would be much better for people to put their efforts in just writing in the RPG Forum on their games, and other's games, instead of defending it in this post. A few of the people I've seen writing in this post defend something they aren't a hundred percent committed to, in any which case. If you love it, go for it! Try it! Have fun with it! :D No need to defend your right to write. lol - It's all just for having fun and becoming a better writer. That's all we're here to do anyways. :)

1 person likes this.
  21. Wreybies

Dang. And, yes! :)

1 person likes this.
  22. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Lmao, very true. If anyone has issues with the rules, then that's their loss. Nobody likes an A-hole that can't comply to standard regulations, courtesy, and common sense.

I'd love to get involved with the RPG but the lack of activity kind of put me off, plus I'd need someone to show me the ropes. It takes so much dedication and organisation, which unfortunately isn't always within the capabilities of those who have enough time to run the thing, E.G young teens. Above that age people have coursework, exams, work, families...all kinds of things to disrupt the flow of it.

I have my own ideas in regards to rejuvinating the site's activity, which i'm sure i'll have a chance to voice soon. ;)

23. Cardboard Tube Knight

Cardboard Tube Knight New Member

Most of the RPing I do these days is D&D, so that's what I try to stick to. Never actually thought of starting one here though.

24. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

RPing is definitely a way to improve writing especially in the character department. I agree about having a periodical setting for an RP and not let them run on forever. I tried to do that with my X-Men one I don't know how many years back. I was planning for it to be 3 missions only, but I think it died after the first.

25. Boom Bach

Boom Bach New Member

My thing with RPG to my knowledge at this site, you need a password to enter most of them. Now maybe because I am new and didn't learn something yet, it seems your just keeping out potential members.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.