RPGing

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Hellbent, Nov 12, 2006.

?

Should we have a role playing station on WF?

1. Yes

70.0%
  2. No

30.0%
  1. Frost

Frost Active Member

I voted yes.
    I've been roleplaying on and off for the past four years, mainly D&D/fantasy settings.

The sooner it's up and running the better.

2. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

By the look of the voting, I don't think the RPG's would go ignored...

3. ariella

ariella New Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    Nope they wouldn't so can we have one set up yet???

PWEASE!!!!!!!!! tee hee :):)

4. newguy

newguy New Member

Yeah I am game.
    We should set up rules like..
    1. no member is allowed to screw up any plot line, Character, or any of the lot and by screw up I mean no half ass ideas that were made solely for the purpose of your own joke and to ruin everyones fun

yah, stuff like that

5. Bartholomew

Bartholomew New Member

RPing is just a different type of writing.

I suggest there be a peanut gallery thread for whichever the active RP's are, that way people can put asides, OOCs and the like out without disrupting the game.

6. ariella

ariella New Member

Yep sounds great, can't wait. If you need any help let me know and I will try to help you out as much as I can. :):)

7. newguy

newguy New Member

Lets Kick This Pig!!!

8. ariella

ariella New Member

Pig? What pig?

I don't see no pig.....

LOL

9. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Okay, it looks like a lot of people are interested in an RPG.

I'd like to hear from anyone opposing it. Why do you think we shouldn't have one?

10. Bartholomew

Bartholomew New Member

The only onjection I can think of involves bandwidth.

11. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

Hooray! I haven't been this excited since...

12. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Okay, I'm looking for the best way to run this - so open to suggestions.

13. Raven

Raven Banned

Definately a good idea You can count me in.
    What type of time zone are you planning to aim the RPG at. Fantasy or Futuristic?

~Raven.

14. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

YESSS DO IT DO IT PLEEEASE DO IT.

Sorry for the caps, but I really love these things. For those of you who don't seem to get it, it goes like this:

Step 1: Someone makes an idea, and explains the essential plot (i.e. someone has taken over the world, and you are a member of the band of rebels who unites to free it.)

Step 2: The same someone puts up character sheet requirements: (i.e. you have to put a name, age, history, appearance, weapons/abilities, and personality)

Step 3: After a few days of letting everyone put in their characters, you start the game by posting an "intro set-up" kind of thing.

Steps 4 and beyond: Every other character goes with the flor or puts in plot twists or does whatever they want to do to make a fun, free-form adventure that can involve romance, politics, action, suspense, horror, comedy, whatever you want. It's a really great way to hone your voice, or expand into different genres.

DO.

IT.

NOW.

(Oh, and if you want an example, check out http://z15.invisionfree.com/Lifelong_Fools/index.php?showtopic=1375 that page. You may have to register to see it, but don't worry, it's fairly worth it because it's such a good example.)

15. Raven

Raven Banned

Id be very happy to Games master something like that.
    I fully support this measure.

~Raven.

16. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

...what part of what we just said do you not get?

17. Raven

Raven Banned

???

What??
    Your reply makes no sense to my post. what are you trying to say????

~Raven.

18. ariella

ariella New Member

ok well I think that was a bit uncalled for, he was showing interest in RPGing. Isn't it a good thing that members are showing support for adding something like this to the forum?

19. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

A few other members and I just very elaborately explained that, in the type of RPG we are talking about, there is no such thing as a games master. It's a game where you can actually have fun and write your own adventure.

20. Jack The Ripper

Jack The Ripper Banned

Then before posting posts like this you should explain what your saying.
    Otherwise you look jolly silly.

Your Old Pal Jacky O Ripper​

21. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

Run it...? It's pretty easy. Open up a section that says Role Playing on it and let the writers go wild. Of course put in a set of rules. Like no invincible characters like Gods. Play fair- play nice. I think it's cool to play other people's characters while you're writing, but don't sabatoge them. And if you do join make sure to post at least a couple of times a week.

What else...

22. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Alright, if there's any confusion, here's a Guide to Roleplaying I stole from another forum:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First of all, I made this for the people here who don't have a good grasp on role playing. By the way, to save typing, type "RPG" instead of roleplaying game. Makes it a lot easier

Anyway, the first thing you need to know is WHAT THE HELL ROLEPLAYING IS ABOUT. So, here's a description:

The person that makes the roleplaying game will start a thread, and will explain the basic plot of the RPG with a intro. Here's a basic example from one of my favourite RPGs (Zombie Invasion 2 is my favourite. I'll use Zombie Invasion 2 as examples from now on, to not waste time) :

They're back. No, not the zombies. The organization that started it all. The government researchers.

Except now it has been revealed that they were never for the government. Instead, they are a branch of the terrorist organization SCORPIUS MAX: Sabotage Corps: Intelligence, Undermining, and Surveillance: MAXIMUM.

And they've got a new plan. On a spin of their first project, they have made a new serum- mixed with the energy that summoned the zombies. But with the new sinister serum, they are making an army of superhuman zombies. Beings that are stronger and faster than any man- and more importantly, this time, their body parts don't fall off. And there is an unlimited supply of the dead to use.

With this army of SuperSoldiers, Scorpius Max threatens to take over the world. Unless a certain band- the four veterans of the first zombie invasion, and their friends and relatives- can unite in order to combat the army, infiltrate Scorpius Max, and shut it all down.

Now that's a good intro. Tells you everything and adds a good writing style. Then, usually after the intro they will have a character form for you to write out, so you get it done so that your character can get in. Usually, you are only allowed two characters at the most, but sometimes you can get people with three characters. However, I wouldn't advise that, because it can be quite hard to manage sometimes. Anyhow, here's how a basic character form goes:

Name: This is pretty obvious. However, in my RPG, Republic Commando, you have follow a set of rules for your name. (Check my RPG out to find out more.)

Age: This is sometime not used, but if they do have it, make sure the age is realistic.

Weapons: In almost all RPGs, this is where you put your perferred weapons in, like this:

M16 grenade launcher, Colt .45.

Spells: Sometimes used for fantasy RPGs.

Appearence: In every RPG that I can think of, this is where the other characters know what you look like. Here's a example:

[insertnamehere] is tall and well-built, and wears brown trousers and a blue t-shirt. He has blue eyes and red hair.

That's quite a good decription.

Background: This is where you make up your characters history. In every RPG, this is one of the most important parts of the form. Obviously, the background must be realistic and based in the story of the RPG.

Once that is done, you'll be in the RPG. Usually, the author will start the RPG after a week or so, so hurry. If you find the RPG after it has started, Pm the maker of the RPG, and he'll get your character, using plot, so that you don't just pop into the group of character for no reason.

Now, onto how you do RPGs. Well, here's how it goes:

Roleplayer No.1: [insertnamehere] fired at the man, making him go down to the ground dead.

Roleplayer No.2: "Good, now let's move on." [insertnamehere] shouted.

Roleplayer No.3: "No, I'm staying here." [insertnamehere] said.

So that how a RPG would go. Here's a extract from Zombie Invasion 2:

(Crazy Ivan wrote this bit)
    "Mory? Mory, where are you?"
    For a fake zoo exhibit, this rainforest was pretty big. Already Fingers had been seperated from his niece and her spandex-clad Romeo. Now he was wandering through the giant, humid trees and looking for any of the other adventurers.
    He came to a giant tree with a trunk as big as a car. Slowly, he edged his way around it...

...and stopped, not even having enough time to scream before being besieged by a huge group of zombies.

(Rieger wrote this bit)
    And Saine was running around in circles.

(Acepilot12 wrote this bit)
    Slate whipped out his walkie-talkie.
    "Fingers, you there? Fingers? We found the station! Come in!"
    The W-T remained eerily silent. The battle far away had taken Fingers away from his only hope of communication.
    "Jack, is he alright?" Linda worried.
    "Listen, stay here with the others. I'm going in."
    "Wait!" yelled a voice. "Don't forget your baby!"
    Slate grinned as he caught the SMG Mory threw to him.

Now for some more things:

Out of character: What this means is if you want to speak about something that is not part of the RPG, you would write your mesage like this:

(OOC: [insertcommenthere])

So here's a proper example:

(OOC: The helicopter shot me, remember?)

Slate whipped out his walkie-talkie.
    "Fingers, you there? Fingers? We found the station! Come in!"
    The W-T remained eerily silent. The battle far away had taken Fingers away from his only hope of communication.
    "Jack, is he alright?" Linda worried.
    "Listen, stay here with the others. I'm going in."
    "Wait!" yelled a voice. "Don't forget your baby!"
    Slate grinned as he caught the SMG Mory threw to him.

Get it? Now for a few rulese:

No immortals: Don't be cheap by making your character immortal, because that sucks out the fun from the RPG.

Be realistic: Let's say a giant horde of demons surrounded you. You couldn't just cast a super spell that slaughters the demons in a instant. That's just cheap.

Double posting: Don't double post in this fourm (Unless you REALLY need to do.)

DON'T SPAM: Even you put the spam in the OOC brackets, you'll still be warned. Only use OOC brackets for things like telling another person that they've broke the plot (Like they were on the ground and then suddenly up on the helicopter without any good reason.)Remember that normal rules apply here too.

Freeform RPGs : These are the only ones I've ever seen here or on the MMF. In this case, although the DM does maintain control, a lot of the plot control is also granted to the players. (For instance, Evilution was originally going to stick to a strict path and plotline. Instead, we skipped most of the game and hopped straight over to Hell.)

But, most importantly, HAVE FUN!

-Copperhaired Berserker!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does any of that make sense?

23. ariella

ariella New Member

Well that about sums that up so when does it get started??? :):):):)

24. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

no kidding, I'm getting impatient. Let's just keep bugging them until they finally crack. Actually they already said they would do one, so I guess there's no need for that.

But I'd like to know who is voting no for this. That's just mean. Rather I'd like to know why. The only thing I can think of is that someone's going to have to make more space for this thing.

25. Raven

Raven Banned

Please hold in there.
    I'll find out.

~Raven.