1. e-quill

e-quill New Member

Colloquial Portugese slang in Mozambique

Discussion in 'Research' started by e-quill, Aug 15, 2010.

I have a character who has spent time recently (ca. 2005-7) in Mozambique (operating a ferry at Kazungula maybe or Caia - detail not really important for the current work) for whom I need a slightly racy salutation in the following context.

“Cheers Sandy. Catch you later.“ He rang off with a cheery “veja você, velho sodomita!” - some bit of filth he’d picked up in Mozambique. It’s usually best not to ask; his explanations tend to be graphic and generally adult in content.​

The above exchange takes place in the UK - as does most of the action of the book, but the Portugese phrase needs to be colloquial in Mozambique rather than a literal translation as above. I would be very grateful for any suggestions, with a rough translation. It can be vulgar but not overly offensive! Thanks

2. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I suspect this isn't the only forums onto which you've placed this question, as you're likely looking for a variety of response from which to choose. Nice idea coming to a writing site to look for supportive and helpful members, but I think your request is probably too specific for our member base to cope with - although I could be surprised.

Assuming you have posted to other forums too, and that they haven't come up with the goods, then perhaps try the forums at wordreference.com - they tend to have a variety of native and non-native bilinguals that can offer a range of responses to such questions. Good luck.

3. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

I am not from Mozambique, but I am from Brazil, so my first language is also portuguese.

Here, if you said "veja você, velho sodomita!" you would be mocked.

It is not coloquial at all. Instead of "veja você" people here would say "se enxerga" and for "velho sodomita" I can't think of anything that isn't vulgar, but that's how they speak.

Again, I am talking like a portuguese speaker, but not from Mozambique :)

Wish you luck.

4. e-quill

e-quill New Member

Thanks natsuki. I have pencilled in "se enxerga velho sodomita" as a possibility. I have a friend who has worked in Mozambique but unfortunately he is in a kayak just south of the arctic circle and incommunicado for the time being. Last heard of from st Lawrence Island.

I don't know what Gannon is on about. On which other forum is this post? But thanks for wordreference.com of which I had not heard. I will have a look.