?

Will all my main characters suffer horrible fates and die painful deaths?

1. Yes.

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes.

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. SadStories

SadStories Member

SadStories's Sad Stories

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by SadStories, Apr 4, 2016.

Last August I decided to lay aside the novel I've been trying to write since my mid-teens (I'm in my early 20s now) because it was just too complicated for someone as inexperienced as me. Instead I wanted to improvise a 60,000-70,000 "stupid vampire story", just to finish anything. I'd heard that if you were a good writer, it didn't matter what you were writing about. Since then it's become a trilogy and I've written almost 70,000 words of the first book with still quite a way to go until the halfway mark (end of chapter 10). I'm pretty hopeless, I guess. At least it's still more manageable than my last project.

I know people say it's hard to get your first book published if it's very long, but the business is very different where I live so I'm just pressing on. I'm actually more worried they won't give me a chance because I have fantasy elements like vampires. As far as I know there has only been one big fantasy novel for adults published the last few years, and it's nowhere as flamboyant as mine. Which is why I plan to write something very down-to-earth next if this fails. By the way, if you think my English is too bad to be a writer, English isn't my first language, so I'm a little bit like a fish out of water here. I'm sorry, lol.

Anyway, I don't have anything to do at university for three weeks, so I was thinking of just focusing on my book until then and at least writing 2,000 words every day. I was thinking posting about it here might help motivate me. My goal for this period is to get to the halfway mark (finishing chapter 10) and then second-draft chapter 8, chapter 9 and chapter 10. I know you should just finish the first draft of the entire thing in one go, but that is just physically impossible for me. Leaving such a mess kills me.

Wrote today: 2,767
    Total Word Count: 67,029

Today I was working on the last third of the 8th chapter and it's the end of an arc that's been going since chapter 6, so it's pretty intense and satisfying to write. I bet it won't be as easy to write this much every day. It's one of my extremely long fight scenes now too. I feel like these will either break or make my novel. I know books are not the medium for action, since if you describe too many complicated movements the reader has a hard time following, but I've thought of a way to write them that focuses on poetic prose and the feelings and personalities of the ones involved instead. I think of my fight scenes as the songs in musicals.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Sack-a-Doo! and GingerCoffee like this.
  2. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

I can relate to your situation, I've had to abandon stories I'd been writing for a log time too and it's always hard! It sounds like you've got a good handle on your new story though, good luck with it! Don't worry too much about your first draft, like what you said about the battle scenes, you can rewrite and reorganize when you're done. :) Also I would not have guessed that English isn't your first language!

SadStories likes this.
  3. SadStories

SadStories Member

Thank you. It's actually even my third! *puts on sunglasses*

Wrote today:
    Total Word Count: 69,375

Today I finished the fight scene. Also I realized that the phoenix the main male character was fighting fits his personality of somehow always surviving under the worst circumstances, so I thought it was poetic that he should win it in the end. He will never be a magic user though, so the stone for calling it is pretty worthless to him. Honestly I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but I theoretically have three books to find some use for it. Might also just remove it in later drafts.

After that I got started on my first "dream sequence". There are going to be three of them in the first book. Characters with some proficiency at magic can trap characters in these mental labyrinths before they die, giving them a last chance to survive. It's fun that I get to write about some very different environments suddenly, like a big city, and I also think dealing with the personal issues of the people my character just beat makes for great, additional layers to the story. I'm also back to writing from my main character's point of view now. I'm growing fond of the male main character too, but it's like coming home.

I could probably have written more today, but I have to explain lots of stuff next so I wanted to do that in one go tomorrow. There's a lot of it, but I personally think I've earned dumping all that stuff on the reader. I didn't touch any magic for 100+ pages and they just got tons of action. Also I think it fits with the story. It would make sense, in such a situation, that one character would explain all this stuff to the other. I hope. Anyway, I'll probably finish the 8th chapter tomorrow, and get started on the 9th.

You know you're weird when your notes for it are:
    *make sure to have the scene where MC kills her high school crush and her entire family accidentally
    *make sure you have the part where MC replaces herself with a doll, so her family and the government won't notice she has disappeared
    *make sure to have the stuff where her body changes because she's becoming a vampire (making her more attractive, etc.), inspired by horror stories about people gender transitioning - for example where their chest hurts because their breasts are trying to grow through muscle
    *make sure to have stuff about her bf kidnapping her high school rapist and torturing him
    *make sure to end it with MC casually revealing that her bf was jack the ripper before mercy killing her high school rapist and escaping to asia on her own to die in peace because she cant stand feeling bad for her victims

In other news, I found a new way to procrastinate. I feel a bit bad though, because I feel like I forgot about one of the most important characteristics of great villains: Being scary. I guess it's because I never write main villains like that (yet).

4. SadStories

SadStories Member

Wrote today: 2,737
    Total Word Count: 72,112

Finished the dream sequence and chapter 8. Going to save starting chapter 9 until next time. This was pretty intense. Honestly this is probably one of the most important parts of my novel because this is where the logic and significance of the dream sequences are explained, it's were my main male character presents his philosophy of life and it's where my main character first resorts to murder. Suffice it to say, I completely botched it. It's nice to have something to work on in the future though. It's funny how different something turns out when you start writing it ... I would have thought it would be heavy on philosophy, but that part turned out very simple actually. I think getting MC's murder to feel right is going to be the hardest.

Other than that, this being my third day that I'm more or less writing full-time, I'm starting to feel some fatigue. I'm worried that if I keep this up I'm going to just exhaust myself completely and stop writing or something. So maybe it would be good for me to take a break tomorrow. I'm way in front of my schedule in terms of writing 2000 words every day, after all. On the other hand I'm starting to doubt writing 2000 words every day is going to be enough to reach my goal by the time I've been writing for three weeks. I'll have to see how I'll feel tomorrow, I guess. It's not like I have much else to do than write nowadays either, lol.

5. SadStories

SadStories Member

Wrote today: 2,020
    Total Word Count: 74,132

Ugh. Today was my worst day so far. In addition to the fatigue from yesterday, starting a new chapter with a very loose idea of how the plot elements are going to hang together is hard and disheartening. I did most of my writing just now and finished later than I've done previous days. It's funny though, even on a bad day, how easy it's become to write for me. I just need to push myself to write a few words, the story takes hold of me, and suddenly I have like 400 new words. I wonder what would happen if I had the willpower to go directly from spurt to spurt. I'm usually taking it quite easy when I'm writing, looking for songs to listen to and daydreaming. Maybe that's just how I write, or maybe I'm lazy and need to have desserts thrown on me, lol.

Hopefully I'll be mad because today was such a dumb day and be really great tomorrow. Also I think I've made a decision about something that has been bothering me for a while. Since I severely underestimated how long this story would take to tell while pre-planning chapter contents, most of my chapters are incredibly long. My longest is like 15,000 words. I thought it could be a cool quirk to have, but I stayed kind of envious of people who write short chapters because it's really addicting to read books that are like that. What I think I'm going to do now though is call each chapter an "episode" (they take about 40 minutes to read), and then break it up in lots of lots of very short, maybe paragraph-long chapters. It will allow me to play on the popularity of television shows that are having a renaissance these days, have lots of small chapters and keep my old structure.

6. SadStories

SadStories Member

Wrote today: 3,706
    Total Word Count: 77,838

If anyone's super-duper closely watching my thread (lol, I know nobody is), they might have thought I had finally failed to write my daily amount because I'm very late to post my update compared to usually. But no, I just got started a bit late and I think I wrote for a lot longer than I usually do as well. I also had this weird energy drink. I never have energy drinks. It made me walk around really fast, seriously consider starting a blog (which I eventually decided is probably too much of a hassle), talk ridiculously fast to everyone, and seemingly write a lot. I've no idea how I'm going to sleep ever again.

I actually finished the 9th chapter/episode. It's quite shorter than the 8th on purpose. I'm really happy with its logic, but again I feel like I'm going to have to work hard in the rewrites to make all the choices my protagonist makes believable. I also got to write my most disgusting and horrible scene so far, which makes me feel pretty bad. Especially since my writing in the first draft isn't neeeearly good enough to justify such extremities. At the same time I'm really proud of the scene's raw power.

7. SadStories

SadStories Member

Wrote today: 2,174
    Total Word Count: 80,012

Another hard day. Probably because I started chapter 10, and starting chapters is always a bit of a hassle for me. I tend to just plan what is going to happen in them, and not their structure and flow, so there's always some frustration before I find my footing. It was probably especially hard this time because this chapter is supposed to be pretty heavy on character development, and since I'm not happy with how I did my character's psychology in chapter 8 and 9, I'm not really sure what I'm building on. Fortunately, once I finally reach the story's midpoint at the end of chapter 10, I'll be going back to rewrite chapter 8 through 10, and then I'll be able to make fully sense of my MC again. Meanwhile I'll just have to put one word after the other. Hopefully I'll still manage to link this chapter up to chapter 5 (which jumped ahead) in a somewhat satisfying manner.

On a more positive note, writing about Aokigahara forest is a lot of fun. Pretty much all stories that use it as a setting seem to have failed though. I hope there is not some sort of curse here which will make my book bad. Oh, also something I forgot to mention in the last post: My novel is officially longer than Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Woohoo.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  8. SadStories

SadStories Member

Wrote today: 2,119
    Total Word Count: 82,131

So tired of writing. Sometimes I can't tell if a sentence I wrote made sense. I think I just want to do something fun now. Like read or play a video game. For hours. I think I'm going to do that now. I think I have time today. Interestingly though, I have no problem keeping up my writing at all. It just flows out of me. My understanding of my main character's psychology has returned, and all the things I was worried about structurally are just falling into place by themselves. More and more I feel like the book is out of my control. I'm not making decisions anymore, just following the logic of the preceding notes.

Man is it a weird book though. Maybe it's like whenever I write something very violent and think people are going to freak out, and then people don't bat an eye at it. But I just can't get over how incredibly weird what I'm writing is. And not necessarily in a good way. This isn't the first time I have these feelings about something I've written either. There was something I tried to get published that got rejected. I didn't actually expect or want it to be accepted, I didn't think it was nearly good enough. I just wanted to have sent in something once, just to have the experience. Anyway, for a few months after I had this nightmare where the person who had evaluated the text was just *freaking* out because what I had written was so weird, looking for me everywhere, frantically calling me in the middle of the night and begging me to explain myself. Today I had an idea though. Lots of years ago I read The Picture of Dorian Gray, and I remember I loved that foreword where Oscar Wilde briefly explains what he thinks art is before you get to see his example. I think I want to do something like that for my book.

9. SadStories

SadStories Member

Wrote today: 3,070
    Total Word Count: 85,201

Out of the woods! Wow, that sequence was almost entirely improvised. I wasn't sure if I was actually going to send my main character in there until the very last moment, and it turned out to be such an interesting setting and there were so many happy accidents and things I feel came very well together. Now I just have a straight road ahead of me towards the connecting point with chapter 5. That is going to be really satisfying to finally reach, and also incredibly, incredibly disturbing and weird.

People dying so far if I recall correctly:
    Chapter 1: 1
    Chapter 2-4: 0
    Chapter 5: 2
    Chapter 6-7: 0
    Chapter 8: 2
    Chapter 9: 5
    Chapter 10 so far: 1
    End of Chapter 10: ~120

Not the worst I've written though. Once I wrote a sci-fi short story where like trillions of people died!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  10. SadStories

SadStories Member

Wrote today: 2,104
    Total Word Count: 87,305

Today was a weird day. I just wanted to get done as quickly as possible, so I could do something else that I wanted to do. That is also the reason why I'm writing this update so much later than usual: I decided to save it for later. You'd think writing under these conditions would make for bad or uninspired work, but not at all actually. I still feel like I'm truly on a roll on here with the story. For some reason happy accidents keep accumulating. There was another key scene that I didn't except at all.

I'll probably finally reach the novel's midpoint at around 90,000 words tomorrow. That will be a big moment. Maybe I should just push on to chapter 11. I don't think that's necessary though. I feel confident I'll be able to find my thread again when I need to. Also I'll probably only get to like chapter 12-13 or something before I have to concentrate on school again, which is a very weird place to stop. I think I would rather just second-draft chapter 8 through 10 as planned, and thus have the first half of the book in a fairly respectable state before I take the break. When I eventually get back to my novel again though, I think I want to first-draft all ten chapters of the second half before I second-draft them ... After that there's "only" the polish ... I wonder how long that will take. I do have a dream of finishing the book by august at least, so it will have taken exactly a year.

11. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributing Member

Maybe not watching super-duper closely but people do read these things. :)

SadStories likes this.
  12. SadStories

SadStories Member

Oh no, lol! That almost makes me feel bad. I hope they're skimming at least. I'm just rambling, and probably repeating myself a lot. I've found it's nice to have somewhere to sum up my thoughts and feelings about my writing every day though.

Wrote today:
    Total Word Count: 90,954

Woooo, not only did I finally reach the novel's structural midpoint, I also wrote that Oscar Wilde-style foreword about what I think art is. I'm so happy with it. Short, but it has a lot of stuff I've been mulling over for years - and I have actually studied philosophy, so it's not uninformed and shallow. Hopefully. My bigger worry is that it raises expectations to a level my novel can't actually keep. Right after finishing chapter 10, I felt amazing though. Everything I had built up finally came together, and the final part of chapter 10 was so disturbing I felt like I was committing a crime while I was writing it.

I'm starting to crash now though, remembering all the faults of my first draft. Will I ever be able to turn this into a novel I'm happy with? Well, at least it will be a valuable experience to have what will probably be a 180,000+ word novel behind me ... And in any case I'm proud of myself for seeing this through so far. With this I'm about halfway through my designated three weeks of writing and I've managed to stay on schedule despite underestimating the word count by several thousand. The question is whether I'll have time to rewrite the 27,000-ish words I've written in 11 days. I'm not sure what my rewriting speed is like ...

13. SadStories

SadStories Member

Rewritten: 1,798 out of 31,580 (5.6% completed, 10 days remaining)
    Total Word Count: 91,767

First day to fail my minimum writing goal

[​IMG]

Rewriting definitely takes more time than first-drafting for me. Deep inside I knew this very well. I'm always adding lots of lots of stuff during rewrite ... Not fluff, but stuff I think is genuinely important, like when I dig out all the potential in a cool sentence I had or when I'm adding sensory descriptions (I think my greatest weakness is that I always have too few).

At least I know what I'm up against now. Honestly it's no problem if I don't manage to finish as much of the book as I planned in these three weeks, but I'm still going to give it another go tomorrow. I know my efficiency has a lot to go on.

14. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I don't see how 91,767 can be a failed minimum writing goal. Nope, not seeing it. :)

SadStories likes this.
  15. SadStories

SadStories Member

Thanks! :) That's a very encouraging way of looking at it.

Rewritten: 3,661 out of 31,580 (11.6% completed, 9 days remaining)
    Total Word Count: 92,465

Looks like there is no way I'm getting to 100% by the 24th of April. And I'm genuinely stretching myself to get done as much as I did today. On the other hand, the part that I'm writing now needed a lot of rewriting. I know from rewriting earlier, I will suddenly reach some part where there isn't a lot of need for rewrite at all. So I might still get pretty far. And even if I don't, I've done an awful lot of writing anyway. I'll just have to finish rewriting my book's first half when I get back to it.

In other news I left my protagonist today just when she's getting her arm ripped off her shoulder. The great thing about being about to make her a vampire with regenerative abilities in a few pages is that I get to give her all kinds of, under normal circumstances, permanent damage while misdirecting the reader by having them think she is training to be a witch. Hah!

If I keep increasing the word count at this rate for the rest of the rewrite, I'm going to end up with like a 210,000 words book. That is like Moby Dick. What am I doing ... It might be possible and/or necessary to do some cutting at the end. That's not something I have the surplus energy or overview to be considering or thinking about right now though.

16. SadStories

SadStories Member

Rewritten: 6,177 out of 31,580 (19.5% completed, 6 days remaining)
    Total Word Count: 94,213

I have some sleep issues, so I skipped a night's sleep to get it corrected and was too sleepy to write. The day before that I wasn't in the mood to write and decided to read first. When I was done reading (I finished the book, lol), I didn't really have that much energy to write, so I didn't write as much as I usually do. Today I got some proper writing done again, finally. Despite everything, I'm still on schedule. My new schedule that is ... I think the reason I ended up reading the other day is because I overextended myself trying to progress too quickly with the second drafts. I think something more along the lines of the goal I set myself for the first half of the these three weeks is just to get 50% of the rewriting done. I think it's better to have a humble goal and end up doing a good bit more than constantly failing to reach what I set out for. Failing can't be very good for your motivation.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  17. SadStories

SadStories Member

Rewritten: 7,336 out of 31,580 (23.2% completed, 5 days remaining)
    Total Word Count: 95,111

Wrote all day, so I promise I'm not slacking off despite the slow progress, lol. I'm working on the long action scene. There is a lot of sensory detail to add and lots of complex magic that has to make sense, in addition to just plain having to do normal second-drafting. Hard going. Kind of satisfying though. I've just been working and not really looking back, but I started reading through my action scene so far, and it looks like it's turning out great. It's off-the-walls crazy, but I think it's a lot of fun.

ToDandy and KokoN like this.
  18. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Really enjoying seeing how your rewriting progress is going! I've never gotten that far in any of my novels, so I'm taking mental notes for when I do. :) Keep it up!!

SadStories likes this.
  19. SadStories

SadStories Member

Thanks!! :) You keep it up as well!! I enjoy reading your journal too.

Rewritten:
    11,133 out of 31,580 (35.3% completed, time's up)
    Total Word Count: 97,951

So with this, my three weeks of focusing only on writing and nothing else are over. I would say I got about a Nanowrimo's worth of writing out of this. I did disappoint myself a bit near the end though. I think my slow progress was a combination of some hard scenes and knowing that I wouldn't have the time to achieve any special goals no matter how hard I worked. The last day I even started writing on something else, a short story in English. I would probably need another day or two to finish it. I've also started playing with the idea of starting a different, easier book. My novel is going to take another 100,000 words to finish, and who knows how much work is left after that before I feel like it's worth showing to anyone. Even at that point it might be too bizarre for anyone to want to publish it. I think this is one of those cases where the harder way is the better way though. If this book gets published, I took a huge risk and succeeded - and those are the books I've always preferred and wanted to write. If it fails, I'll be far better prepared to start a new book than I am at the moment, anyway. So I'll persevere.

Now I have to focus on school again. I need to get in touch with this teacher that needs to approve my subject, which is kind of worrying me. I also have to write two articles, about 5000 words each on a subject I think is incredibly difficult. I'll need to finish a horribly boring book before I get started on those. After the articles are done, I will probably have to go talk to my teachers about what I've written. I'm also moving this summer, so I'm going to have to get started on that. In other words, I'm not sure when I'll have the time to continue on my writing. It'll probably be a few weeks. I'll have to see. Sad face.

KokoN and ToDandy like this.
  20. SadStories

SadStories Member

This is my third day writing since I started again. The two first days were very good, but today wasn't as good. I got caught up with a philosophical dialogue. On the one hand, I wanted to move at the same speed as usual; on the other, I felt like I wasn't doing it enough justice. I also woke up today feeling very unenergetic, and constant specific, small hard problems with the dialogue kept giving me so many excuses to procrastinate. In the end I spent all of today's writing time tinkering with it. In my defense the dialogue is pretty long, and at least I'm done with it now. Also, after bad days like this I will tend to overcompensate the next day, doing especially good progress, so I guess it's all okay. I wish there was some precise way to quantify the work I'm doing when it's not writing first draft though, because I feel like things are otherwise so unpredictable in terms of how many words are covered. I worry a lot about how effective I am and it's hard to measure without something like that.

In other words, I don't think I'm going to be posting rewrite progress in percentages like before, because that just brings up discouragingly low or in any case not very useful numbers. Rather I will just be posting my general word count, which is 101,373 right now, until I think of something better or start first-drafting again. Anyway, I'm actually going to have tons of tons of tons of time to write in the coming months, so I've set myself some ... probably pretty unrealistic goals, but let's see how I fare anyway!

1) Finish second-drafting chapters 8-10 by July 1 (about 20,000 words)
    2) Finish first-drafting chapters 11-20 by July 23 (about 100,000 words)
    3) Finish second-drafting chapters 11-20 by September 1
    4) Finish final-drafting everything, including some stuff I've decided to add into the first 4 chapters, by September 30 (about 210,000+ words)

I kind of feel like I'm balancing a million plates while drunk, and I'm never going to reach the kitchen without breaking every single one of them, but what I'm trying to apply here is to be fearless and determined. No matter how many problems turn up I just have to keep calm and continue solving them. At some point, though perhaps not as quickly as I want to, there will be a moment where any thing I want to change, add or improve makes me go, "Come on, SadStories! Get real. Nothing's perfect."

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  21. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

Very cool observation, SS.

And BTW, you're English is just fine. ;)

SadStories likes this.
  22. SadStories

SadStories Member

Okay! And I'm done for today. I'm at 103,531 now. I'm a bit disappointed by myself. I think my goal was pretty reasonable, considering how much time I had: There was something important I felt like I had forgotten at the end of the 8th chapter, so I deleted most of the ending and completely rewrote it. I wanted to finish second-drafting that as well before moving on, but I only got halfway through. Since I honestly don't feel I'm effective enough, I think I'm actually going to give the "turn off your Internet" advice another try tomorrow. There. I said it. So if I turn on the Internet tomorrow, I will have to post about it here! Let's see what happens now.

23. SadStories

SadStories Member

And we're at 106,148! Marcel Proust!! I'm breathing down your neck. Anyway, I would say I actually did have some success with disconnecting the Internet. I did cheat a little bit though. For example halfway through the time I spent writing I took a pretty big break allowing myself to look at the Internet and listen to some music. I think this is a far better way to do it though. Having time to really build up my focus and concentration on the writing I think made me more effective, and when I actually let myself check the Internet, there were actually interesting new things to look at whereas usually I'm looking at the same forum posts and e-mail headlines over and over again. I think this is something I want to continue with, that is challenging myself to be more effective in different ways as I go. I still want to continue in the spirit of the last time I wrote though, which is not to push myself too much and take all the fun out of writing. I think that would work against itself anyway, making it difficult for me to stay motivated. If you're wondering what I wrote about today, I actually finished chapter 8. I ended up adding quite a bit more to it than I thought I would. Honestly it's not quite up to my usual second-draft standard, especially because I did the second-draft straight after the first, but I'll just be extra careful when I'm final-drafting.

24. SadStories

SadStories Member

106,913! Strangely I still feel like I was more productive today than yesterday, despite the much smaller word count increase, because I managed to stay focused a lot more. The reason the increase is smaller is probably because I was mostly adding new stuff that wasn't in the first draft yesterday, whereas today I was just rewriting, and even completely removing and replacing quite a bit of text. The latter was mostly to do with me having changed my mind about the characterization of the main male character. I've been struggling with him, because on one side I want him to be like a byronic hero, which are usually INTJ. On the other, he has this loudmouthed trickster personality, which is nothing like INTJ. So I tried to make him work as an ENTP. It's kind of hard to do "dark, violent person who is secretly noble" thing though when ENTPs basically wear their heart on their sleeves and usually have rather simple emotions. But now I've gone with ENFP. And it seems to fit perfectly. Of course, when most people think of ENFPs, they think of someone very colorful and happy, etc., but if an ENFP was 2000 years old, insane, etc., etc. Well, it basically works. He becomes kind of like a vampire Hamlet, who is probably an ENFP, with that same ambiguous, dangerous, hysterical vibe to him. Lol, I'm sorry if you have no idea what I'm talking about!

In other news, I recently signed up for summer Nanowrimo (July). I was thinking I could try to write the first-draft (100,000) of the novel's second half in the first three weeks at a pace of about 5000 words a day. This is really ambitious for me, but I've not really got a worry or a care in the world that month and I'm rewriting at a pace of about 2500 words a day, which is about twice as fast (-ish) as when I was rewriting in April, so maybe I can double my first-drafting pace as well? It's hard to say whether I can do this, or even if I want to do this now though. I actually even decided to give up that today, because it didn't seem possible to even finish my second-draft of the first part by the time July starts, but then I did some math, and I realized that if I keep up my current pace, I might actually manage to do that. So no giving up yet after all!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  25. SadStories

SadStories Member

109,121. Today started out catastrophically actually. Sleeping more than is good for you just about has the same effect as not sleeping enough, which is what I did (the former), so I took a really long time getting started, and when I did start writing, it was really rough going. But then I had lots of coffee and tea, and I was writing like mad near the end. Apparently the famous French writer Balzac, who wrote an ungodly amount of books, drank about 50 cups of coffee a day. Maybe I should start doing that too! Anyway, once again I ended up mostly adding new stuff. I didn't really feel like I quite had a handle on the character's emotions and the development of their personalities in the first draft, but I could really feel things coming together now. I'm really proud of some of the character stuff I added today. The downside is that once again it's looking fairly unlikely that I'm going to be ready to start the second half of the book by July 1. Not really such a big deal though, because this is more a question of me wanting the book to take less time to write than me not using my time well enough. As long as the book turns ot well in the end, it will just have to take the time it does.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016