1. Cacaw

Cacaw New Member

Sail & Sorcery • Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Cacaw, Jan 1, 2010.

A thread for questions, etc. on Sail & Sorcery.

2. Xelah

Xelah New Member

What kind of religious organizations exist in the world?

My character is supposed to be a bit naive and religion can be fun to misinterpret. If no religions are prevalent, some other important organization.

Just hypothetically, if the world had Christianity:

*after someone irritates him* Laredo: "You need Jesus!" *Laredo pulls his knife and attacks*

*after stopping the attack* Somebody: "What the hell are you doing? You're the one that needs Jesus!"

*still struggling to kill somebody* Laredo: "Jesus is where you go when you die. I'm going to give you all the Jesus you can stand!"

Also, how are you on characters having frequent nightmares? IE possibly waking up screaming while in some deep dark abyss and disturbing the hairy things with too many legs that live there.

3. Shadow Reeves

Shadow Reeves Active Member

On a plane filled with Motherf**king Snakes.
    firstly, please dont use ** in the story (i assume you wont but just making sure)
    and the jesus bit in that post sounds like the name of his knife :D

also i think the multi-God set up may be good for this story, maybe each element...or island with a major temple to a particular god.
    god of war
    god of love etc

your character having nightmares i assume would be fine. but only post them if they are relevant to the story, or if it reoccurring then post it once other wise just say "Laredo awoke in a cold sweat from yet another nightmare, everyone was still asleep -"...then move on with his life.

4. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

It looks moderately neato, in the words of the late George Carlin.

I've also done a great deal of research on this period (late Renaissance/early Romance), so rest assured I am prepared. Are the rules of duelling between two gentlemen applicable in this world? It could be interesting to challenge some sort of Jack Rackham-ish pirate to a duel and then watch him scream like a little girl when he loses. :D

5. Cacaw

Cacaw New Member

Alright, answering questions then.

It would not make sense for any of Earth's prominent religions to exist in the world of this story, as the central figures of those religions (Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha, etc.) would not have existed. There is the aspect of the spirits used by shamans, but it would be rare for these spirits to be intact spirits of dead people, and shamans would more commonly use more abstract entities, so that doesn't really qualify as religion. The monks of Gorro are not tied to any specific religion. I imagine there are several religious institutions in the Aeterian Sea, but I hadn't really thought about it. Also, Xelah, you need to edit your character post to include your character's element.

As for dueling, yes, there are civil and honorable duels in this world, but they would be very uncommon among pirates and outlaws (though your character might not recognize this fact). Challenging someone to a one-on-one fight might happen often, but there would be few, if any, rules to the encounter.

6. Shadow Reeves

just for ease of notice could you please colour red your GM posts that move the story along.

i didnt realise that was the time frame we were working with. i love this period :D

7. Xelah

Xelah New Member

Would it be acceptable to the story for Laredo to steal the 25 aurei from captain snow before we cast off? That's how I was planning to have him repay Ryan.

We are on a lawless island and all.

8. Shadow Reeves

unless more people become active this RPG is going to fall flat on its face

9. Cacaw

Cacaw New Member

It would be acceptable, but I doubt the captain keeps that much money on him (it's a lot). If you want to steal what he has, I'd say you'd have roughly a sixty percent chance of success.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, he would have the other characters' cash, so I'd say about thirty to forty percent to get 25 aurei.

10. Cacaw

Cacaw New Member

Agreed. Or if we get some more players. See if you can find anyone?

11. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

"two six-pounders on deck"

I just happen to have been watching this thing and noticed this.

You do realize that your ship is total crap when it comes to fighting right?

50 feet makes it a really really tiny ship, 12 knots makes it really really slow (That's 12mph by the way), and only two six pounders makes it really really weak.

I guess it's fine, but if that thing ever comes up against your world's version of a galleon from the spanish or english armada (50 meters, 30 cannons shooting 30 pounders), your ship is going to die.

Just thought i'd tell you all that.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, and this is a 50ft boat. Tiny

12. Cacaw

Cacaw New Member

I'd realized about the size and firepower, yes (though the firepower should be upped significantly by some of the crew's sorcery and alchemy abilities), but I had intended for it to be quite fast, so thank you for pointing that one out. That's the danger of specificity in fiction, I suppose. Incidentally, one thousand denarii (the price they're paying for the ship) is a relatively low amount, and probably slightly overpriced. Thanks for the tips, though, I appreciate it.

13. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

Okay. Just thought I'd tell you all.

14. Shadow Reeves

although a wind powered boat of that era would probably average about 12 knots

15. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

I don't know about that. 12 knots is pretty slow as far as I know. Seriously, there are dogs that swim faster than that. Of course, I only know about the cannon load and size. Not the speed.

12 miles per hour just seems really slow...

16. Shadow Reeves

well, a massive ship of the line, like a galleon - 3 decks 75-90 guns - would manage speeds of oh 5 knots, 7 on a good day.

but our little boat is more likely to be a sloop - singe deck 8 gun max,single mast with one main sail and another triangular sail poking out the front - and could reach a maximum of 15 knots assuming both the wind and current is favourable.

remember this was when crossing the english channel took days, not hours

17. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

It's probably an overweight Caravel, similar to the Santa Clara, which Christopher Columbus owned. Essentially a modified coastal/trading vessel.

18. Xelah

Xelah New Member

I was actually thinking more along the lines of a Jamaican sloop, which was the preferred ship type of pirates in the Caribbean. Size and speed are about right for the description of our ship.

Sloops could routinely take out far larger ships because they specialized in sailing across the wind and could get behind the larger vessel, take out the rudder, and force the larger ship to surrender. Raw speed and firepower isn't everything when it comes to wooden sailing ships. Your cannons are only good as long as you can point them at the ship you're trying to take out.

Also, sloops can run through shallow areas that heavier warships would not go near.

19. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Didn't Sloops tend to be somewhat longer than 50 feet, though?

20. Cacaw

Cacaw New Member

I based the ship largely off of the Niña and the Pinta, which I believe had a max speed of around 8 knots. The technology in the the world of the game is better than 15th century Earth, so I increased the speed some.

21. Cacaw

Cacaw New Member

Just to be clear with the money:
    One dupondius (round brass coins with square holes) is equal to one fourth of a quinarius (pentagonal silver coins with round holes) which is equal to one half of a denarius (hexagonal silver coins with round holes) which is equal to one twenty-fifth of an aureus (round gold coins with hexagonal holes). There is also a half-aureus (a round gold coin with a square hole).

Here's the system its based on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_currency#Relative_values
    (there is no sestertius, quadrans, or as. The quinarius refers to the auinarius argenteus)

22. Shadow Reeves

would you like me to write up a description of the ship in my next post so we all have something work with? i was going to do it then wondered if you wanted to.
    if not here is a handy sight on the nina and pinta
    http://www.thenina.com/

also here is a handy site so we can use the right words :D

http://phrontistery.info/nautical.html

23. Cacaw

Cacaw New Member

That sounds great. Just keep to the basic specifications Snow mentioned.

24. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

How much do some sample goods cost under the RPG's monetary system? I want to be able to get my bearings in terms of prices of food, drink, etc. when we reach Kharroc-Nur, since I assume we'll be hanging around town for a while.

25. Xelah

Xelah New Member

Between fifty and seventy-five feet for a Jamaican model.