SAT to drop essay requirement!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mammamaia, Mar 5, 2014.

1. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

There's no way college application fees are $250 per college. The most expensive fees are in the $90-100 range.

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I think I paid $50 for Butler University which was an $18,000 per year school back in 1994.

3. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

I prostituted my way into trade school, so I don't know what tuition actually was

4. Lewdog

So how did you pay your way through prostitution school?

5. Garball

My high SAT scores. My essay discussing the different methods of getting a golf ball from one end to the other must've really impressed somebody. Too bad they're doing away with the essays

Lewdog likes this.
  6. Lewdog

7. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

They may be a "non-profit" organization under the tax laws, but that doesn't mean that they don't care about maximizing their revenues. First and foremost, they care about their own well-being. Their executives are very highly paid. I'm not saying they're totally evil, but they're not a truly exemplary, altruistic entity.

8. chicagoliz

My problem with the essay portion is not in the essay itself, but in the quantification and grading of the essay. I think they could (and I feel like they actually did do this eons ago when I took the test, but maybe I'm mis-remembering) is have a short essay that is simply forwarded to the colleges, as is, without comment or grading. Then the admissions committees of the various colleges could utilize it as they wish -- they would have an essay, verifiably written by the student without help, in a timed situation. They could read it and evaluate it or they could ignore it. But grading essays is pretty subjective, and even English teachers will admit that they are sometimes hard pressed to explain why they graded one essay higher than another.

What the SAT does well are standardized tests. They don't do well at less subjective things, like assessing writing ability.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  9. Lewdog

The Ohio State University's Ex-President E. Gordon Gee:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-18/gee-takes-jets-as-1-9-million-payday-roils-ohio-students.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/ohio-state-head-apologizes-anti-catholic-rant-article-1.1358895

Gee was forced to step down, but that didn't stop West Virginia University from hiring him.

10. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

@chicagoliz I think you bring up a good point. Essays are very subjective as is the grading process and having them graded by a standardized point-value rubric can have a delineating effect. I've taken my share of AP exams and after a while I knew what they were looking for specifically, so it didn't matter as much whether or not I put much thought into it. If I fit the formula I got the points. Teachers/graders are held to a similar rubric for the SAT's from what I was told, making the essay-grading process a bit unfair. It would be nice to see the essay sections go straight to colleges without the graders impressions. As you said, it does ensure that the institutions are getting papers from the right students without outside aid or intervention.

I'm not a huge fan of standardized tests simply because I err more towards personalized learning, but to a degree every exam is standardized. And they do have their purpose. What I'm really against is our system, which teaches towards the exam instead of towards the material itself. Learn test taking strategies to succeed rather than the concepts the test usually covers. It's backwards! Passing tests should not be the primary objective of education.

11. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

One still has to write a letter describing your reason for in the admissions process of most universities that
    You're right, I'm mixing memories. I think I'm remembering totals or something else related to all the fees we've paid.

12. Lewdog

$250 was how much your parking ticket was when you parked in a handicap space so you could run in the application on the last day of the deadline.

13. Garball

Not to thread-jack too much, but who here actually attended class on syllabus day, the first week, second?

14. chicagoliz

I can count on one hand the number of college classes I did not attend, so I attended those classes. Why?

15. Lewdog

I did, so that I knew the most important dates to go to class. I had a Journalism 101 class that was so boring, I went to class four times (First day, Mid-term, Research Paper Due Date, and Final Exam) and got a B in the class.

Now some schools started taking attendance and taking off grade points.

16. Garball

I'm collecting data correlating the relationship between people who attended syllabus day and people who question others' curiosity

chicagoliz likes this.
  17. Lewdog

They are directly in-proportionate.

18. Lewdog

I swear that when I made my post earlier in this thread, I had no idea about this report coming out.

https://news.yahoo.com/video/scientists-china-seek-genetic-roots-162745702-cbs.html

This is the second thing I've said in the last few days that has come true in the next day or two. I'm getting scared.

19. Garball

Will you please say or post that Garball will become rich within two weeks!

20. Garball

Wait. Scratch that. I just realized rich could mean having a heavier fat content. Maybe that Garball will become monetarily wealthy?

21. We Are Cartographers

We Are Cartographers Active Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Fitzroy Zeph and Andrae Smith like this.