1. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

Uncle Grandpa discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by MLM, Apr 25, 2014.

Before they started cracking down on the comments on the UG facebook page, almost all of them mentioned UG being a pedophile. I don't think he is, but someone should have pulled the writers aside at least once and mentioned the general sketchiness of an old weird guy sneaking into kids' bedrooms at night...

That aside, what do you folks think of this show? I have mixed feelings. It has a certain old cartoon charm with UG disappearing and reappearing, making copies of himself, moving his body in impossible ways, walking through walls, and doing other cartoony stuff. Has a certain Felix the Cat vibe which has been missing from cartoons. The animation is smooth (tho not as smooth as Stephen Universe or Adventure Time) and the color palate is a strange mix of dull neons, beige, and sickly green. The character designs are also strange, infantilized but grotesquely exaggerated. The most extreme is UG himself. It's the strangest look I've seen in a big show in a long time and is surprisingly fascinating. Not exactly appealing, but it's not lazy or boring. The music is light-hearted and queues well with situations but otherwise not memorable. Those are the good aspects. The problems are that it isn't funny and the forced quirkiness of the main cast is very tiresome. The most egregious being Pizza Steve, an anthropomorphic slice of Pizza who doesn't fit into the setting, and Giant Realistic Flying Tiger, a one off gag who appears in every episode. In general the show doesn't have good comedic timing. Other than UG's magical movement there are few sight gags and the spoken jokes are weak. UG is just not a good comedic foil and the jokes he does make are made worse by his annoying voice. It's obvious the writers wanted the "Good Morning" catch phrase to catch on, but I don't know anyone who likes it.

I give it a D. Can't see this one lasting too long.

2. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

Was this a sequel to Perfect Hair Forever?

"Do the la-la-la-la-lalaa..."

3. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

No, it is a spin-off of Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, or SMFA was a spin-off of the original UG short. Something like that. The guy who made this worked on Flapjack and Chowder. PHF was a Williams Street (Adult Swim's production company) thing.

4. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

Oh okay. In that other Adult Swim series I mentioned it had a main character named Uncle Grandpa who was perverted and clipped through walls with limited comical animation. More or less making fun of anime.

I am obsessed with Rick and Morty at the moment. It's absolutely the best writing to come from Adult Swim in quite a while, and it's a show that I don't know how to react to. Most of the time I double over in laughter, but near the end I always walk away pondering over a serious point brought up in the show.

Too bad you have to sort through so much crappy coal to find that one diamond of a show on Adult Swim.