1. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by CDRW, Jul 1, 2008.

I've been having problems with the new posts link. When it brings up the list and I visit threads it doesn't always mark them as read. If I click the new posts link again they will still appear on the list just without the latest post button next to the name. Other times a thread I have already viewed will appear on the list and the latest post button will take me to a post three or four back from the last post, after I have already viewed it all. Is anyone else having problems like this?

Also something helpful I've seen on another forum is a section that says "These threads have not been updated since your last visit, but they contain unread posts."

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In the time it takes to go through the new posts list, the threags can and do change, so what was the last post when the searxh was run is not necessarily still the last post when you get to it.

The list does refresh at times on the same search, but only on the posts within each thread, and not on every load of the same page.

The message you mentioned in the last paragraph also appears here at times.

I use the New Posts button pretty heavily for moderating. It's a little strange at times, but I'm pretty sure most of that is optimizations to reduce the impact on server performance.

Whenever you click on the actual New Posts link, you do get a fresh search.

3. CDRW

What I'm saying is that when I click on the new posts link it brings up threads that have NOT been updated since I visited them. Other times it will take me to threads that have been updated, but it takes me to posts I have already seen. For example I just visited the thread Sorry I just have to get this off my chest via the new posts link. It took me to post #3 when the last one I had read was post #16.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

New means since you were last logged in: either after explicitly logging out, or after an hour of inactivity on the site.

5. CDRW

Ok, that explains it then. I don't explicitly log out, because I have it set to remember my password. I just close the browser window.

6. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

You can get around it by going to the bottom of the main page and clicking "Mark Forums Read". Everything currently posted becomes "old", and you should be able to avoid that problem for the most part.

7. CDRW

Yeah, I know, but I don't like doing that because then it marks ones I haven't read, and if I didn't get to make it all the way through the new posts then I have to go hunt for them.