1. Lewis shepherd

Lewis shepherd Member

Scar-Tissue

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lewis shepherd, Feb 14, 2016.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to talk briefly about my first novel, Scar Tissue and see what the response is from people who are not close friends or family.
    First a little about me, I've been writing on and off all my life, but only recently decided this was what i wanted to do with my life, I have a pretty vivid, sometimes warped imagine and i also suffer with dyslexia which makes the task of writing a challage to say the least.
    Now to the meat, I like to describe Scar tissue as a part biographical, part autobiographical sci-fi Fantasy, which began life as a series of unconnected short stories and some how evolved in the behemoth it is today.
    At its heart it's a story about love and friendship, set to the backdrop of a interdimensional war which threatens to be the undoing of all reality it's a character piece before anything (and i fear a little diologe heavy in places) with most of the action happening in the background.
    the story contains both elements of sci-fi fantasy combined with actual events and the three protagonists are based upon myself, and my friends Paul and bryce and many of the supporting cast are also loosely based upon people I know IRL (they say write what you know).
    The chapter " leroy" is a personal story about my struggle with depression whilst "the vanity of Bruce cane" is more of a humorous tale about my close friend and onetime boss and the chapter"Ipaulious" is a tale about lost love.
    Thus far i have 26 chapters not including prologue and epilogue, I also have a six chapters of appendacies (ala Tolkien) which is basically just world building and I'm thinking now this is a good place to end the story although I have so many ideas regarding the future of this universe I think a second book is almost a certainty at this point but I don't want to rush in to a second book at the expense of my first.

Thanks for reading, if anyone is interested in learning more i also have a fb page "scar tissue a story by Lewis shepherd" which contains character bios and such.

2. Rickey D. Clay Jr.

Rickey D. Clay Jr. Member

Man, being a writer with dyslexia is a story on its own. I can empathize with that type of hurdle as well. I'm a writer, but I also draw and illustrate and I have very shaky hands due to certain physical issues.

As far as the concept of the story, it sounds like you're taking on a big task. The subplots and layers of your characters sounds to be well thought out. You did say it'll be a character piece and having characters that are so close to home I'm sure you'll be able to pull it off with good writing. However, with such an expansive story to tell, are you nervous about world building and how much you're throwing into the novel? I appreciate the outlining which it clearly sounds like you have done for this work. Look forward to seeing your first posting for this idea.

I'll have to remember to check out your facebook page soon.

3. Lewis shepherd

Lewis shepherd Member

Hi Rickey, I'm not to concerned about the world building side of It, I pretty much have that part of it in the bag, my biggest concern is making sure all my characters each have enough to do, all to often the main characters will be having a conversation then I'll think to my self what is this guy doing whilst this is happening, prehaps it was a little over zelous of me to throw in so many characters.
    So you illustrate? That's fantastic I've always wished I could draw but unfortunately my gifts lie else where, I'd very much like to see some of your work, I've been looking for someone that can draw to do a couple of concept pictures from the book, so far I've just been using pictures borrowed from Google but I understand that's something of a grey area what with copyright and such..