1. Arannir

Arannir Active Member

Reason behind your username

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Arannir, Sep 17, 2013.

Is it a nickname? Something close to you? Why did you chose your username?

Personally I chose "Arannir" whilst searching for an authentic name for my Wood Elven character in Skyrim (Arannir appeared during the original game). But I've only just started using it; Starting with naming a character in a book. I've also named my youtube account, KingArannir, after it.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

My name is Wrey. Wreybies sounds like rabies. I thought it would be fun. :)

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Steerpike is a loveable scamp from Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast novels.

4. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

There is actually a story involved here. Despite the feminine qualities of my username, I am in fact a male. Now, how does a male end up with a girls name as a handle? It starts out with listening to a band called Eluveitie which is a folk metal band heavily influenced by the culture of the Gauls. In 52 B.C. the capital of Gaul was the city of Alésia where the Gauls made their final stand against Caesar's onslaught (though they eventually lost their city to the Roman empire.) Anyway, when I started writing my book, my MC started out as Alyssa, then morphed into Allison, then eventually Alésia, so I guess you'd say my username comes directly from studying the Gauls, and secondly from that being my MC's name.

5. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Greatest city in the world, plus my name. Easy. It's been my 'net "handle" since I first got online, back in 1995.

6. CharlotteDancer

CharlotteDancer New Member

My name's Charlotte, I'm a dancer :)

I actually have a very strong affinity to my real name and feel unsettled if for some reason I can't use it. I must have a very big ego or something! There was no way I was going to change my surname when I got married either.

7. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I like your name, too, Charlotte. (I didn't change my surname, either.)

CharlotteDancer likes this.
  8. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

My username is a pun on the phrase "to catch a second wind." Not the greatest username in the world, but meh.

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I am, among other things, a folksinger. I can't define myself with just one word, but if I had to try, "minstrel" probably comes closest.

10. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

A gar is an ugly ass fish that is popular with some to eat, especially in the South (my beloved home). Sometimes gar meat is so mealy (you can pull the spine and ribcage right out), the best way to cook the gar is to pack the meat into golf ball sized bites and fry them-- garballs. I have an affinity for trash fish, mainly choupique (bowfin to some) and gar, but gaspergou is most fun to say. I have harvested many a gar and sold them to local stores, but have never actually eaten one.

However, I was told on another forum that if you google "garball", you will get images of old school pin-ups. Purely coincidental.

123456789 likes this.
  11. Tara

Tara Senior Member

Tara's my name. No stories, no deeper meaning behind it, just my name; I safe my imagination for my stories and artworks. Oh, and of course I like my name, it just kind of fits me... I suppose

Dean Stride likes this.
  12. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Mine is a combination of two of my other interests. The 'obsidian' part is to do with the RPG game developer, the 'cicatrix' part refers to the fact I'm heavily tattooed. I know cicatrix is singular, but my tattoowork is one piece that just happens to cover about 70% of my body.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Kinda my own premarital initials...

14. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Way back in the 1990's, I created this name to be my online persona. I'm not sure how I thought of it but it stuck and has been around ever since. The full name is Jason James Maxximillian but I only use the full name for formal engagements.

Fun Fact: Back in the 1990's I became involved with the forums over with the guys at Neversoft, (the company behind the original Tony Hawk's Pro Skater) and I became a staple member of that community. I gave a lot of input on the sequel, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, and if you ever come across the game there is a pre-made park called 'Props Park' and if you jump the gap between two halfpipes, you will get the JJ_Maxx Gap bonus, worth 500 points. ;)

[​IMG]

Lemex likes this.
  15. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

That's awesome! I used to love playing Pro Skater 2 as a kid. I even remember some of the music in that game.

16. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Me too, the music still brings me back! This one was my favorite:

17. Dean Stride

Dean Stride Senior Member

Dean is a latinisation of my own Bulgarian name "Dian", and Stride is part of the nickname "Dawnstrider", which belongs to one of the MCs in my main project.

18. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

I've chosen to use my real name because I think there's a slim possibility that something will come of what I do here.

There's no point in making a name for yourself if no one knows who you are.

19. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Erébh is one of my MCs - the word itself is As Gaeilge (Irish) for dark/darkness/evil. The little slant over the E is called a fadá (Fa-duh) which writingforums sign-up page wouldn't recognise originally so I lost it :(

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  20. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Tell that to the published authors who use pseudonyms. Different strokes for different folks.

21. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I remember that game! I remember it very well. In fact, I think I remember that bonus, but I don't know if that is just my mind playing tricks on me.

My user name is just a name of someone in a dream I had when I was very young and thought it was cool. I have always used it as a name for when I am online, especially on games. And especally on online Half-Life games. It's just something I've kept, it has it's uses. Specifically the fact that I don't have to use my real name which I do rather like for some reason. Looking at it now, with the distance of many years, I can't help but notice a similarity between 'Lemex' and one of my father's three middle names, 'Lennox' - interesting.

22. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

It's the name of my main character in my book, and she was the first char I ever made up, though under a diff name then lol

23. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I have no idea how I came up with Duchess when I was like 11, but it stuck.

Yukine is a reference to Yukine Miyazawa from CLANNAD, and Suoh is because I love Tamaki Suoh from Ouran Host Club.

24. idle

idle Active Member

When I started visiting online chats and discuss (mainly) music, almost everyone there used their favourite band's or musician's name as a nickname. So I named myself after Idlewild, then my favourite band – and part of the fun was that hardly anyone's heard of it, at least over here. Later I decided that naming myself after someone else wasn't such a great idea, but by then all my online friends remembered me by that name, so the only thing I could do was to shorten it. And I'm a procrastinator, so it fits anyway.

25. ddavidv

ddavidv Senior Member

I'm an adoptee. My middle name is David, which is also unbelievably the first name I would have been given by my birth mother (whom I have reunited with). My 'real' first name starts with D also and is a name I don't much care for. My last name starts with a V and is also a name I don't much care for. Thus, D. David V.

I use it on pretty much every message board out there because it's easier to remember than 14 other names.

I intend to use what would have been my birth name as my writing pseudonym...assuming the need ever arises!