1. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Gone exploring... in the inner realm... Contributor

Scene and Sequel structure

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Andrae Smith, Jun 23, 2012.

I was doing some reading online and I found a few articles on Scene and Sequel and the 3Act structure.

They basically said that every novel has 3 acts: opening, body, and closing. In the opening, the main character is normal but some force pushes him to change his course of action. The Body is the bulk of the story until the climax. In general, the closing contains the main characters life changing revelation, then the plot climax and finally the resolution.

But they also said that it should all be done in scene and sequal. Scene being a longer chunk in which action happens, and sequel being the brief section in which the protagonist reacts [has a mental revelation, does some soul searching or what have you]. Those scenes could be chapters or maybe not. But beyond that every Small chunk [couple paragraphs] needs to be in smaller Scene/Sequel units. For example the scene might be one sentence like "the tiger lunge towards jack." and the sequel would be the following paragraph describing how Jack reacts to the tiger lunging at him.

Does anyone know how to do this when dialogue is involved? Also general tips and incite into writing this way is appreciated. everything I read on it said all writing outside of scene and sequel is junk... leaving little room for creativity or scene establishment... :p

2. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

What You described last (in bold) is what's called Motivation/Reaction and in that specific case I would advice to just write the story without thinking much about it and when you're done check that the motivation precedes the action and that there is a motivation for the things the character does. About scenes and sequels, I think it's a good way of driving the story forward, but as the previous example I don't think much about it while writing, just keep it present in the back of my head. After an intense action filled scene it's good to have a low-action scene where the character reflects on things that has happened and decide what to do next. it also controls the pace of the story, sometimes the reader needs to rest from the action for a while. it doesn't need to be long, Maybe you can start the new chapter with the sequel and then continue with the scene. or you can add it in the end of the previous chapter and maybe raise questions that the reader will want to have answered in the next.