1. bc1

bc1 New Member

scene changes

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by bc1, Jun 5, 2009.

I have a question or two. I change scenes quite a bit in my writing. Should I go back and try to fill in the gaps with dialogue or something? And, do you think it looks bad if the scenes abruptly change more than once or twice in a chapter, or should the scene start a new chapter? Just looking for opinions! thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributing Member Contributor

I only have one scene in each chapter. It doesn't matter how short the chapters are, they're there to change the perspective, time, and place, so use them.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That's a very workable approach. However, you could also separate chapters at POV changes, or major time transitions (e.g. each day is a new chapter), or any of a number of cut points.

If you need to change scene within a chapter, you can either handle it with a new paragraph, with the opening sentence showing the change, or with a section break consisting of a single # centered in a line by itself.

A scene change does at least call for a new paragraph.

4. bc1

bc1 New Member

Thank you. I do start a new paragraph at a scene change or with a section break, but what if I have three within one chapter? Does it look bad? Or should I just start a new chapter? I know I am repeating myself...sorry:confused:

5. Cogito

I've seen plenty of novels with several scenes within a chapter, and no section breaks. Neverteless, there is no doubt that a scene change is taking place.

6. arron89

arron89 Banned

It doesn't matter so much if the scene changes multiple times within your chapter so long as they are logically linked...if the two scenes aren't similar in terms of tone/theme/subject then it may not make sense to have them in the same chapter...

7. Carbon

Carbon Member

Also, make sure to let your reader know that a scene is changing. There are a few ways to do it, but it really depends on what viewpoint the story is being told from.

8. starseed

starseed Contributing Member

Yeah, exactly. I change scenes lots of times within a chapter, and other times a chapter is only one scene, it just depends. It's more the overall flow of what the chapter is trying to show that matters to me (At least with how I define chapters). For example, if in a given chapter I am trying to demonstrate tension between two characters, I might start with some narration of the MC thinking about how the other character annoys her, and then I might go into an action/dialogue scene from later in the same week demonstrating the tension somehow. It just depends on what's going on. I don't think there are really any rules, you just want it to flow and make sense.

9. Atma

Atma Member

Section breaks aren't bad. They're in pretty much every book. Just don't overdo them, imo.

10. Cogito

No, they aren't bad, but best practice is to only use them where you need the scene change to stand out more than usual, but not enough for a chapter break.

11. Velvet Muse

Velvet Muse New Member

In my opinion, section breaks interrupt the flow of things. If it means having to have shorter chapters, I'd do it. I believe the book Holes had well over fifty chapters, and it wasn't that thick of a book.

12. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

It's a story. If you need to change scenes to tell it better then do so. If your changes flow well into each other and aren't so sudden, then you're fine.