1. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

Scene involving a "fringe" activity, how much explanation is needed?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by agentkirb, Oct 28, 2011.

So I'm writing this story where the main character loves to play video games, his favorite game is Star Craft 2. And seeing as Star Craft 2 is a computer game, the MC is somewhat savvy with computers obviously.

Recently it has come to my attention that online people webcast major tournaments (apparently Star Craft is HUGE in Korea), and at BlizzCon they webcasted a tournament recently that I watched. First time I've ever watched anything like this (I'm personally not a Star Craft 2 fan although I know about real time strategies and all that). From watching just a few hours I could say I gained enough insight to be able to write a scene in my story. I figure because this is my MC's favorite game, it would only make sense for him to watch the tournament finals for one of his favorite games.

The problem is, I'd bet 90% of my audience probably doesn't know that much about Star Craft 2. The scene isn't going to be pivotal to the story, more comic relief than anything. But I do want to try and include SOME Starcraft game play here or there. Perhaps describing the action on the screen, or maybe the MC talking about the game with the people he's watching it with. Obviously I don't want to have to explain all of the intricacies of the game, but you do want to explain enough that the scene makes sense and it isn't just something like "oh, there's a game on in the back ground but it isn't important".

I'm sure the solution lies somewhere in the middle ground between over and under explaining the rules. But I guess what I'm asking is... has anyone else dealt with a situation where you have a scene involving a "fringe" activity that most of the world doesn't know about?

2. Jetshroom

Jetshroom Active Member

I would say, if it's not an important or pivotal scene, then don't go into too much detail. Also, in general, people are going to be much more interested in the swarm of Zurg decimating a base than they are with a description of player activities. The people familiar with Star Craft will know it, and appreciate the reference, and the ones who aren't familiar probably won't care, and are probably going to just need enough information to tell them "oh, there's a game on in the back ground but it isn't important."

On a side note, if you're not a Star Craft fan, why are you writing a character that is? Not to say that your characters can't like things you don't, but in this case, your character likes at least one RTS, and You like at least one RTS, you're probably going to have more believable writing if you both like the same one.

3. Flashfire07

Flashfire07 Active Member

If he's just watching it write it as you would any other scene involving a televised sporting event. Write the important moments and the characters reactions to them, watching a videogame tournament can be quite exciting, especially if it's written well. Try not to get too wrapped up in the details, the more detail you write the more likely you'll get someone like me frothing at the mouth and raving about 'misrepresentation of videogames in the modern media'. I think having the character comment on the events on his screen would be better than trying to describe them yourself. As has been said, if you don't like Starcrat 2 but like other games write about them instead. It's a lot harder to piss people off if you write a game you've actually played and now well.

4. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

Well, I wasn't going to bring this up because it wasn't part of the problem I had, but the reason he's a Star Craft fan is because the character is an introvert that's good at strategy... stuff. Because of his shyness, it kind of makes sense that he plays a lot of video games. And Star Craft is the type of game that he would like.

It's not an issue of not knowing anything because I know enough information about the game to write a good scene. And I'm "somewhat" of a gamer myself, I just don't like Starcraft 2 is all.