1. steve119

steve119 New Member

Choices, choices

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by steve119, Nov 10, 2012.

the problem I am facing at the moment is one I am sure most writers have at some point. I have two separate story ideas in my head at the moment and I am not sure what to do. Should I use the time each day I have allotted to writing solely concentrated on one of the story ideas or should I split the time equally between the two story ideas? what would others recommend doing in this situation?

2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Write one idea down in outline, and devote your work period to the other until it is finished -- that's what I would do.

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

When I'm faced with two ideas - I write them out - brainstorm & outline. The one I find I'm most excited about and the ideas
    are easy-flowing - that's the one I pick to work on. The other I sketch out and drop it in a folder marked New Ideas
    for another day. Don't try and work on two projects at once. They'll constantly sabotage each other.
    Unless of course one is a short story one is a novel ( :) I do that all the time! )

4. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

As Thumpa said, write one down in a detailed guideline and keep a notebook handy for when you have an idea about it. But focus solely on one story at a time. A plot can be confused enough as it is, without making it even more so by having two different thought streams running in your head concurrently.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You must fimd your own process. Some writers work better focusing on one story at a time, others work better with more than one story "in the pipeline" at any particular time. The only way you'll know which works best for you is to try both approaches.

6. steve119

steve119 New Member

yeah I think I will have to take that advice as the way my mind seems to work if I tried concentrating on just one the other one would be bugging me and not allowme to concentrate. Thanks for all the advice guy's

7. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Yeah, I have the exact same problems right now and I have found time to write a few chapters of each one, but after a while one of them drew me in more than the other and I focused on that one entirely. Good luck!