1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Hotspots on dogs.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Link the Writer, Sep 24, 2014.

OK, so recently my beagle-mix had been licking the same spot on his left foreleg to the point where there's a small hotspot forming. I've heard that happened in dogs, but I'm not sure how it happens, or if it's an indication of something that needs a trip to the vet. Is there a way to get him to stop? Why do some dogs do this where they lick themselves at one spot over and over until a hotspot forms?

Thoughts and advice on what to do about this?

2. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

When I saw the name of the thread title I thought we were talking about attaching WiFi hotspots on our pets for when people bring them for walks so everyone has eternal internet.

I was disappointed.

But some dogs do that because it itches. Mine always licks at an old surgery scar and one place where he had a really bad place one time. I quick googled what hotspots really are, and maybe it'd be a good idea to take him/her to the vet. It's caused by infections so I'd let them clip away the hair from around it and get some topical ointment.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    Mckk and ChickenFreak like this.
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I changed my dog's food to a grain free brand (Blue Buffalo). Wicked expensive, but she's calmed down on the paw licking, and her paw licking was obsessive. My vet explained to me that the whole "fruits and nuts and grains and veggies" thing that dog foods are doing lately is meant to appeal to human sensibilities, and doesn't really take a dog's dietary needs into account. It can give them allergies. Dogs in the wild do take in plant matter as part of their diet, but nothing like in the amounts found in foods like Beneful and the like, and not grains.

jazzabel likes this.
  4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It could be a skin problem, but dogs are also known to lick a spot raw as compulsive behavior.

dog paw licking

5. elynne

elynne Active Member

I thought the exact same thing. sorry I don't have anything constructive to add to the actual topic, but I gurglesnorted so loud I had to explain it to Spouse...

Link the Writer likes this.
  6. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Paw licking can indicate allergies, but it's usually both paws. Sometimes if there's a small wound, maybe an ingrown thorn, or something infected, they can try to lick it better. And then there could be a growth in the paw, causing them pain. My dog had a small cancer on her leg and she was licking it a lot before we noticed (she was fine after an operation so not to worry). Or arthritis, or some such. My rule is, any unusual behaviours or symptoms that don't go away after 3-4 days, I take them to the vet.

7. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I thought the title said: "Hotdogs on dogs" and I was thinking, "What the heck do you mean? A discussion on why the word "dog" is in hotdogs?"

Yeah sorry got nothing constructive to say as I've never had a dog. Hope yours is ok though!