2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

School Suspension

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bluemouth, Mar 28, 2008.

My friend's brother, Jack, attends the school I graduated from, and the other day I heard he was externally suspended for a couple of days, which is the step below expulsion and goes on his record for the future. I was further amazed at the reason for his suspension, though. What do you think?

Jack was standing around with his friends when a teacher walked over and told them to pick up some of the rubbish that was lying around. The friends did this. The teacher told Jack, however, to pick up a couple of grapes that were sitting nearby. Jack refused, the reason being he didn't know where the grapes had been, so why should he put his health at risk? The teacher told him again to pick up the grapes and put them in the bin. Jack, again, refused.

He was then told to follow the teacher to the Focus Room (a detention-room kind of thing). Jack said: "No, I haven't done anything wrong." The teacher walked off, expecting Jack to follow, but he didn't. The process repeated itself about 3 times. Then the teacher returned and said he was going to get the Principal. About five minutes later the Principal comes round demanding where Jack is and takes him off to his office. Jack was then told he was facing external suspension, wasn't given a chance to have his say, and the Principal signed a form that can't be undone and so goes on his permanent academic record. If anything I think it was an abuse of power by the teacher. Why should the student pick up dirty rubbish while the teacher doesn't? And why should someone be suspended for something so petty?

Personally, if I look at the recent problems the school has had (and it's an affluent school, don't get me wrong), including a guy getting a stick lodged in his eye and going blind, and another kid being tackled to the ground, resulting in eye surgery where his face was pulled down, and permanent scarring through his hair - it's obvious that the Principal is on edge to discipline. But he was out of line. A call by Jack's dad only received a pompous response from the Principal, and now the family might make a serious complaint to the Education Board and Superintendent so that they will investigate the situation. I'd back their decision, because that minor event could've been easily dealt with much, much better. I mean, if that's the standard discipline, then it's starting to sound like a concentration camp.

Thoughts?

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Wait wait wait wait

wait

wait

wait

The students were cleaning up the rubbish? Firs off, where are the Janitors and how much are they paid?

Note: jacks excuse is rediculous. It would have been far easier and less troublesom to grab a tissue and pick them up, which he should have done. But I agree the teacher and principle went way to far.

I say again, where are this schools janitors and how do I get a job? I'm guessing they get paid for sitting on their butts?

3. Bluemouth

The janitors don't clean up the "yard", as in ovals. They just do the classrooms.

You're right about students "overpowering" the teachers these days. Many of them are too soft. But there are ways of being reasonable with students to get them to follow an instruction. Ordering a student to pick up something is rarely going to work, particularly if the individual is strong-minded ... or just strong. :p

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

No grounds keepers?

You know, red hair, scottish accent, really mean and cranky all the time... named Willie?

5. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

lol lordofhats! :p

I think the punishment was a tad extreme, but the fact of the matter is, he failed to listen to an authoritive figure and argued the point. Thus the results were harsher than they would of been.

6. Bluemouth

Funnily enough one of the grounds keepers is Scottish, but I don't know if they pick up the rubbish. They clean the bins and mow the grass. But that's as much as I know. :cool:

7. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Bassically the way it is in a nutshell.

8. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I agree with Torana. A very harsh punishment, but I wouldn't be too sympathetic. Sorry about Jack though.

9. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I don't think it was fair to be made to pick up the grapes if he didn't put them there, you never really see the teachers do it, but they always make the students.

Its unfair that its going to stick on his record like that though.

10. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Hmm... He could of been the usual smart ass teen (sorry, but there are a few in our town at highschool age) that could of gotten the teachers back up but to take it as far as they did is a bit unfair. I mean, couldn't they have given him a warning? They should of let him explain his reasons but I probably would of just given him detention or something. Or a blue slip (going by my school! :p) But yeah, depends on how this kid said it. I would probably add to the poll if it asks if the principal was too strict. Or something like that!

11. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I would have done the same thing. If he didn't put them there, why the hell should he pick them up? The teachers may be authoritative figures (in the classroom), but they are not in strict control over any other person.

Besides, the grapes are biodegradable.

12. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Problem is when you are on school property you are under the control of the teachers and administration department basically. If you are going to argue with an authoritive figure you have to expect to get a sever punishment.

If you winge, complain, argue, they are going to get harsher and harsher on you till you learn your place in the food chain. It's as simple as that. A student is at the bottom of the food chain.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, but it really IS an abuse of power. The parents could probably file a formal complaint with the School Board and/or the Board of Selectmen (or the equivalent there).

Students are responsible for following the reasonable directions of school staff, but whether it is reasonable for the teacher to demand a student clean up a mess that (presumably) was not his is questionable, especially if the teacher himself is equipped with two good hands.

14. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

There are usually two sides to every story. One side was presented, which makes it difficult to properly answer the question without knowing the other.

Terry

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Very true. Any vote/opinion applies only the presented scenario, and not necessarily to the incident it was modelled upon.

16. Bluemouth

True. But I know both of the other individuals involved in the situation and their responses don't surprise me at all.

17. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Bluemouth,
    If the result to such a situation was obvious to you (based as you indicated on the individuals involved as to its likely outcome) and not knowing how this will end up being resolved--if it will go any further--a lesson that Jack should come away with from this, if nothing else, is to learn to pick one's battles. Sadly, fair or not, life is like that sometimes.

Terry

18. Frost

Frost Active Member

Yeah, he got a bit fired up over something very minor. If the teacher had told him to do something that could really put his health at risk like pick up a used tissue or something, i would then be inclined to refuse, unless he/she gave me something to pick it up with. But I think personally that he brought it on himself, even though it was harsher than need be.

19. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

my opinion is that this guy failed to listen to an adult and compromised their authority around others. in a way i dont blame the teacher for going to the principle but the end decision was harsh. you parents ask you why'd you get suspended and you answer for not picking up rotting grapes. kinda weird and unjustified if you ask me.

20. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

The decision was way over the top. I would of settled for giving him detention or asked him nicely or suggested something he could pick the grapes up with. I dunno. yes, he should of listened to the teacher but the teacher should of given him at least a (clean) tissue to pick the grapes up with. Threatening with expulsion- well, I would of taken my kid out of the school if it were possible.

21. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

lol....and just ause he wouldn't pik up some grapes? And why didn't he pick the grapes upp? He would have a fit if he cam to our class. We're forced to pick our own mess, even though the sweeping ladies come twice a day. But still stupid reason for suspension. At least he didn't get expelled.........I came real close to getting expelled once..All because I wrote "I have a great ass" and stuck it behind a girl. I thought the ass part meant donkey!! I'd heard my brother's girlfriend saying it once.........so I agreed when some girls dared me too...!!The Princi wouldn't even hear me!! Luckily our classteacher asked me what I'd meant and I told her I though it meant I have a great Donkey........she sorted it out.......though she laughed real hard when I told her that!!

22. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

oh, my God, sleeplessnss is taking it''s toll, did I just say that?? :0