1. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Dare I mention christmas?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wordwizard, Oct 19, 2008.

I have started browsing online for this years "it" gift.
    So far I have found nothing great for my 5 year old daughter. Nothing new, nothing exciting, no wow factor gifts.
    The only thing I can think of is a telescope because she loves space.
    Any other ideas?

2. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

I think a telescope is fine. i wish I had a telescope.

3. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Something she can make music with! A small piano, maybe start her on guitar lessons- if ya start her on that now, she will amaze her friends in high school.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Telescope is a great idea. Looking out into space never gets boring. The good thing is that it can be used for many years to come.

5. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Five years old? Take her to the zoo or spend a few evenings reading her favorite books to her. Time with you is the best present you can give her at this age.

6. Ennui

Ennui New Member

A telescope would marginally do,how about bringing her to an extensive writing class?

7. Vertz

Vertz New Member

I agree with NaCl. Giving of yourself could be the greatest gift. Since you know she likes space, you could give her a telescope and spend time with her using it, learning about space with her. My dad did that with me when I was young, and it made an impact.

8. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    When I was five, my parents said it was time to learn independence. I ate my meals alone for a year. And I turned out okay. Right?

Seriously, I would have to agree with the telescope idea.

9. destinationless

destinationless New Member

Oh, goodness. 5 year old girls...
    To stereotype, because I obviously dont know your daughter, I'm sure all 5 year old girls like dress up and Barbies; that's what I did every day of my life (and still do sometimes xD ).

A telescope sounds like a great idea; I wish I had a telescope -today-! And of course, the ever popular 'spend time with her' comment is worth repeating...

Ennui- :p I love it!

-D

10. lessa

lessa New Member

The telescope with a large coupon stating that it is to be used for
    1 night of past bedtime out in the back yard or city park when just
    mom and daughter go and explore the stars.
    Also get the stuff to make a mobile of the planets and spend a day or
    2 with her making it up.
    Some posters of the universe for her walls.

11. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

A telescope sounds cool, or you could always get black paint and paint the cieling with it and get the glow in the dark paint and paint in the stars....no? fair enough!

I think if you read some cool bedtime stories for a while about space and the likes, she'd love it and, im sure would have some wonderful adventuring dreams.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Telescope for Christmas. Hmmm. Great gift, but that telescope gets COLD in the middle of winter! On the other hand, that is the best season for clear viewing, if she can stand the cold.

Star charts are low-cost. I had one from Edmund Scientific that had a rotating wheel and an oval window that allowed you to match the view to the date and time. I was a bit older than 5, but it is a cgood, inexpesive way to learn her way around the constellations.

Picture book on the solar system, with colorful artist renditions of the planets, and enough text to feed her mind as she improves her reading skills.

13. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

I too like the idea of something music. Starting her with guitar lessons, or piano and continuing with them will be a great gift, for her birthday and for the rest of her life.

14. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

As Ivan said, an instrument would be a nice idea ... my parents bought me a Yamaha keyboard when I was about 8 and I loved it. Or perhaps something arty, like a Crayola art chest ... I once got one where you made a spooky castle and it had glow in the dark pens and stuff.

And I am struggling this year to think of anything I want. I have asked for a new mobile, and after that I think it's going to be money in an envelope for me.

Are you being serious ?? About the whole meal thing? My mam was all up for me not telling her anything, but making me eat alone ....?

oh .... and It's Christmas soooooon !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

15. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Is not! I haven't even seen Halloween go by. Way to early to consider what movies I shall that day.

16. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I have no idea how much money you have to spend. A good telescope is very expensive. I remember being taken to a planetetarium when I was young. It was awesome.

I don't have any kids (they are expensive, and my husband hasn't worked in 14 months)). But I do have neices. When they were 4 and 5 I gave them each a strand of pearls for Christmas. I told them the necklaces were "Big girl" jewelry because they weren't babies anymore and could be trusted to have nice things. I also gave them little boxes to keep them in.

17. Raven

Raven Banned

Now I understand this predicament My Eldest daughter wants a Wii and some games to go with it. So thats one "It" gift sorted in a fashion. However my other three I just can't find anything to get them and whats worse is they haven't asked for anything as yet.

Well I do Sympathise with you Wordwizard I really do.

~Raven.

18. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Some real great gift idea guys. Thanks.
    She already has space posters and boos though. Plus if i get her into onemore progrma I think she will collapse.
    A good point about it being cold out during the winter, but I think i can tough it out.

I think also maybe looking into buying her a star and naming it after her. Then we can find it with the telescope???
    I dunno. I have to remember she is only 5

I love the spend time with your daughter is the best gift of all...but when she opens that at x mas...I can't help but think she will be a tad bit dissapointed that it isnt a toy hahahahaha.

I will keep on with my search I suppose.

19. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

That's a really sweet idea wordwizard :)

20. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I have a star. It is cool. You get this lovely certificate you. I framed mine and put it on the wall.

21. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Ya i like the star idea. Last year for my friends birthday we bougt her a star and she named it after her sister who died. Even though it costs quite a bit of change it seems worth it.