0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other...

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Night.Runner

Night.Runner New Member

Summer Superheroes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Night.Runner, Aug 27, 2008.

I was just wondering, with the vague Superhero trend surfacing, what were people's favorite Superhero Movie this summer.

2. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Without question...The new batman, Dark Knight. I was amazed when I saw it. By far, one of the best I have seen in years. I could watch it again and again. :D

3. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Dark Knight was incredible, but only because of Heath Ledger's performance. Iron Man comes into a close second, only because of Robert Downey Jr.'s performance. :p

4. Night.Runner

Night.Runner New Member

Dark Knight was amazing, though I don't see how they can continue with the Joker. His story was never really finished, plus they can't have another actor do it. I mourn over Heath Ledger's death...

5. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

The Dark Knight was meh....I watched it and was like meh.....the joker was good though real good, I still think he looks like a grubby homeless guy though v.v, but other then that meh.

I like Wanted better.
    Wanted was a fun movie and it was cool.

6. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Dark Knight was amazing. Just...amazing.

7. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I really liked Wanted. I didn't like the cursing or some of the overplayed gore, but as an action movie, it was just awesome. Some of the best firefights I've seen in a film in a long time.

8. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies New Member

The Dark Knight, but of course. None of the other superhero movies can hold a candle to that film. ;)

Heath Ledger is one word: amazing!

And of course, I loved Christian Bale. That man is great in every one of his films.

9. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Why does everyone like Batman so much?
    Are they seeing the same movie I am?
    I think Batman is getting to much praise for a very average movie. Heath did good, but that doesn't make the whole movie good.
    Batman was an average movie and it shouldn't get this much praise.

10. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I can't speak for anybody else, but the reason it's so good to me is because I have never seen another film with such subtle, and yet obvious moral dilemmas. It was captivating, and the Joker delivered it perfectly. Every time you thought it was about to be wrapped up the Joker came back and upped the game. It explored the depth of human nature just like the best of all "artistic" films, and at the same time delivered an awsome, action packed, every-man's film.

11. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I didn't see that.
    Tell me how did you see that?

12. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Well, I loved The Dark Knight... One of my favorite movies.
    But Wanted had everything I wanted! (80% of the dialogue were bad words, action, slow mo and Angelina Jolie in one movie :cool:)

13. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Personally, I've never considered that a positive in any movie XD. Especially since her character was kind of just wall paper.

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The Dark Knight was the most stunning, powerful movie of the decade (at least!) in any genre.

Even if Batman is not your favorite superhero, you have to appreciate the oustanding quality of the movie.

15. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Indeed, Heath Ledger's perfomance as the Joker was something you don't see in many movies. And by the way, I melt when I see Angelina Jolie in the Big Screen. :rolleyes:

16. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

She is all fake up.
    Like a wax doll.

17. CDRW

The most obvious part is when The Joker told the city that if that man who was going to reveal batman's identity wasn't dead in the hour he would blow up a hospital. Imagine you are an average citizen and you have a close family member in the hospital. If your mother's life hung in the balance would you kill him if you had the opportunity? Which one is the right choice? Is it right to murder one man in order to save the lives of hundreds or thousands if the man you are murdering is innocent of any crime?

In the end they had to evacuate the hospital. Evacuations kill hospital patients, especially the ones in the middle of surgery. Innocent people died.

Then you have batman. He would lose his safety and ability to be batman if the man revealed his identity. He wouldn't be able to fight crime anymore. He would be in danger. He would probably die. He saves that man's life in the car accident. Did he do the right thing? He chose to save the life of one man in order to put the lives of himself and countless others in jepordy.

Then there's the people who did try to kill him. What did they become? What did they learn about themselves? Normal people became cold blooded murderers, but they had perfect justification to do it.

If you were in that situation what would you do? Who would you become? Would you become an animal, or let others die in order to keep your "morals?"
    That sort of thing was saturated throughout the entire movie.

18. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Don't forget the part about the two boats and the detonators.

19. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Sorry, forgot to post this. Also, at the beginning of the film, Harvey Dent fought crime. At the end, he lay dead because he had converted to the 'Other Side' (Two Faces).

20. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

What do you think I would do/
    I don't operate by morals. If I must I must become an animal. An animal is my natural instinct, an animal is who I am. I don't care about morals and I don't care about people.
    At least that is my view. Sometimes we have to lose ourselves for the greater good.
    We have to become natural and instinctual not moral and ethical.

21. CDRW

Yeah. I guess I shouldn't say the most "obvious" part, but it was a very good example of what I meant. The entire movie had me thinking like this while I was watching it. That is very significant for me, because I don't do that very much. It shows that they did an excellent job of pulling me in, and making me think at the same time. The boats were awsome too.
    They did just enough in the movie to make it completely unobvious if the boats were going to detonate or not.

22. CDRW

I'm not saying you would do one or the other. The point is that it brings up very difficult questions for people to answer about themselves. Those are the kind of questions that can't really be answered until you are in the moment. The movie puts people in situations like that and shows how they can find themselves doing something they wouldn't normally do. People who didn't think they would descend to that level found themselves doing just that, and people who thought they would be able to "pull the trigger" found that they couldn't make themselves actually do the act.

Edit: and by the way, operating for the "greater good" is a moral concept.

23. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Um... I'd like to mention that there are spoiler tags. Just type
    before the text, and another just like it with a / before the s when you want the tag to end.

24. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

It wasn't like that for me.
    I was like for goodness sake Batman do something.
    I didn't think much about it because I had my own thoughts on it. I didn't think much because I have never enjoyed Batman.

25. CDRW

oops, sorry. I edited, but I think it's too late now.