1. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Scotch/Whisky

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by thirdwind, Jan 1, 2013.

Anyone here like whisky? When I first had scotch a few months ago, I was turned off because of how much it burned. I also didn't realize that scotch on the rocks was frowned upon. Instead, the people I was drinking with suggested adding a little water to "open up" the scotch. Ever since my first drink, I've been drinking scotch with a couple of my scotch drinking buddies, and I'm now beginning to appreciate the many flavors and textures of this complex drink. I can see why scotch is loved by so many. The only thing I hate is how expensive drinking scotch can be.

I recently got a bottle of 16 year old Lagavulin, and I've been steadily enjoying it (few drinks a week). It's probably my favorite scotch at the moment.

On a related note, I really want to visit Scotland and take a tour of some of the distilleries.

2. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

More a wine and beer drinker as i get a little older, but aged scotch is oh so right.

Been drinking whiskey today because of a darned infected wisdom tooth. That said, not actually drinking it, so it's alright.

I drunk myself silly with bourbon as a teen, so as someone moved on a bit, it actually makes me a little sick.

Always dreamed of having some old scotch and a nice decanter. Sit out of the deck at nighttime and watch the view (As i live on the top of a hill overlooking the city and ocean).

3. thirdwind

I love a good beer, especially whatever a bar has on tap. I'm not a big fan of bottled beer, however. As for wine, I only drink it occasionally. I think wine is an acquired taste, even more so than scotch.

By the way, I hope the pain caused by your wisdom tooth goes away soon.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I love a good scotch. Johnnie Walker Black is the best in my opinion, followed by Glenfiddich, and Glenmorangie. The older the better, for single malts especially.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

When I drink, which isn't that often these days, I love drinking whisky straight up. I drink Canadian whisky - Crown Royal, usually.

Scotch is wonderful, though. When I discovered single-malt scotch I just never bothered with blended scotches again. There is such a wide variety of single malts available with such a wide variety of flavors. My favorite, I guess, is the Macallan (aged in sherry wood casks). I appreciate them all, though, from relatively light malts like Glenlivet to dark, harsh, hard-to-get-used-to industrial-strength monster whiskies like the Laphroaig.

Scotch is great. I just have to make sure I watch the quantity I drink.

6. thirdwind

Black Label was one of my first experiences with scotch. I would put it in my current top 5, maybe even top 3. I've had the Glenfiddich 12 once. I don't think I've ever had the Glenmorangie.

Have you ever had the chance to try the Crown Royal XR? I've been wanting to try it because I heard it was really good. Unfortunately, none of the bars around my house carry it. It looks like it's pretty rare.

7. Hambone

Hambone Member

I had an uncle who passed on more than 10 years ago. In his younger years he tried scotch because someone told him it was horrible, he wanted to see for himself. After that day, he never turned back. Scotch was his drink of choice for many decades. He told me once that he had a scotch so strong that if he spilled it on the bookshelf, it would eat away the finish. :)

8. NoDanico

NoDanico New Member

The first whisky I ever had was Bailey’s Irish Cream, like the whole damn bottle. That stuff tastes more like ice cream than liquor, so I don’t really count it. I live about twenty minutes from Tennessee, so we get some pretty good Jack down here. I don’t think I’ve ever tried scotch.
    I like rum, just because I feel like a pirate when I drink it, similarly to how I pretend I’m a samurai when I drink sake with friends at sushi bars. I could never drink beer or lager, but I recently had hard cider for the first time and liked it. I rarely drink alone, but when I do, it’s with wine. Usually with some nice cheese and I speak French to the cartoon characters on the TV looky box.
    You know, writing that out makes me feel crazy.

9. thirdwind

Lol, this sentence reminds me of the most interesting man in the world, who I think should be advertising scotch rather than beer.

10. Lemex

Anyone ever tried Talisker? I have a Talisker glass and hipflask just because I enjoyed the beverage so much! You can really taste the wood in that drink and has that really nice kick and burn that a good Scotch should give you.

11. thirdwind

I've heard of Talisker but have never had it. I'll keep it in mind next time I go to the bar.

12. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Talisker 10 is good stuff, though not, I think, in the same league as the Lagavulin 16 the OP mentioned. I was lucky enough to cadge a glass of the Talisker 25, and while it's good stuff I don't think it justifies the price tag. My favourite so far is Highland Park 18 - lots of salt and heather, nice and smooth.

My current bottle is Jura Prophecy, and if you're a fan of Lagavulin it's well worth a go. Very smoky, none of the watery stuff you can get with Jura, and a similar price bracket.

13. midnight candle

midnight candle New Member

love whiskey - glenmorangie, glenfiddich, grants, jamesons and bushmills are my favourite tipples. will usually open a bottle and start writing. there ain't much left when i finish.

14. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I have 21 days before the government allows me to freely admit that I like whisky :D

15. Lemex

I do like Jamesons, but ... I don't know, it's too smooth for me. I like my whisky to have a real kick in the back of the throat, and that satisfying whisky-burn that comes with Scotch. Never had Bushmills though, I'll have to look out for it.

16. thirdwind

Have you ever tried Laphroaig? That thing nearly killed me the first time I tried it. It's extremely peaty and smoky.

17. Lemex

I've not. I've seen it around though, and always been curious, it just never happened. I guess I must now. :)

18. thirdwind

Make sure you have good health insurance. :D

Seriously though, that thing packs a punch. Maybe it's because I had the cask strength version. I think you'll like it.

19. Lemex

Haha. :D The next time I'm able, I'll pick up a bottle. Watch this space! Going off what you've said, and what the website has said, it sounds like my kind of drink.

20. Cobbjaw

Cobbjaw New Member

I enjoy scotch on the rocks. I knew it was frowned upon in the U.K. but I think they drink it straight and room temp. I'm pretty sure they would frown upon mixing it with water also. Besides, if you pour it on the rocks, the ice melts and gives you the little bit of water to "open up" the scotch anyway. So, I think whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about any more than you do. Drink it like you like it!

As for it being expensive, I drink Usher's green stripe. It ain't the best, but it is cheap and tastes about as good as Johnny Walker Red to me. That's my suggestion for drinking scotch on a budget.

21. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

There you go! Someone agrees with me!

22. Jon Deavers

Jon Deavers New Member

Laphroaig is my favorite Scotch because it has that strong smoky profile. I'm personally more of a bourbon man because you get the same strength of flavor and quality for a fraction of the price. Woodford Reserve is every bit as good as Laphroaig or the MacAllan but is 30$ a fifth instead of 80. It's all due to impot/export rarity so the UK may have a different prerogative but for my money I like bourbon.

That said I recently hurt myself badly drinking Jameson's Irish on the rocks because it's just so damned smooth.

23. thirdwind

Ice has the exact opposite effect of water. It dulls the flavors. Water at room temperature is the best way to go if you're going to add anything at all.

24. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

I'm a whiskey man meself. I prefer Buffalo Trace for the sipping and Wild Turkey for the drinking.

25. thirdwind

I've never had Wild Turkey, though I have heard of it. From my experience, bourbons aren't as good as pure malts (though they're still good), but I'll be sure to give Wild Turkey a try (I'm always looking for new stuff to try out). And I'll be honest, I've never heard of Buffalo Trace.