1. FoxyMomma

FoxyMomma New Member

Gluten-Free???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FoxyMomma, Jul 31, 2010.

So, I was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease which means I must go 100% gluten-free. This means I can't eat anything with a wheat product in it. Does anyone else have a gluten allergy or intolerance? I'd love some pointers and recipes if you have any.

On top of cutting out wheat, I have to cut out dairy until my intestines have had a chance to heal. Damaged intestines can't digest lactose (milk sugar). Hopefully I'll start feeling better soon.

2. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

My friend and future roommate is allergic to gluten. She buys most of her food (like gluten-free cereal and bread and pasta and stuff) at our local Whole Foods Market (formerly known as Wild Oats). I dont know if they have that particular chain in New Mexico, but they have it in the midwest.

Since I'm not allergic to gluten nor am I a cook, I dont have particular recipes, but I have bought gluten-free things because they are healthier and sometimes cheaper. Besides, do you really need complicated recipes? For every wheat product, there is almost always a gluten substitute. Gluten free cereal, cookie and pancake mix, bread, flour, everything. The only difference is you have less options to choose from. You'll just need to find a really great organic grocery store, and you should do all right, I think. :)

Also, just fyi, my friend found out that she had Celiac Disease later than usual (she's 18 and found out this year), and she misses some wheat products terribly. It makes dining out a lot harder for her, but she's lost a bit of weight and looks really good now, if that makes you feel any better. Because she misses some of her old foods, she gives herself a Monthly Gluten Day, during which she binges on gluteny products and reserves the following day for feeling physically very ill.

I just thought I'd let you know, some people with Celiacs eat gluten anyway, and are genearlly all right, but you need some time to recover if you eat a lot of it.

Good luck!

3. jwilder

jwilder New Member

A lot of my husband's family has Celiac's Disease, and they all cook and bake TONS of stuff gluten-free. Just google "gluten-free recipes" and you'll get a ton of websites. Go to froogle.com and search for 'gluten-free cookbooks" - you'll get some really good ones that pop up. You'll also be able to find online grocery vendors that specialize in gluten-free products. I believe there are several gluten-free websites and chat boards online, but I can't recall the names just now.

4. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I have a friend who has to live gluten-free, and she posts lots of gluten free recipes on her blog, which you can reach here.

Hope that helps some.