1. Monsun

Monsun New Member

Novel Writing with family

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Monsun, Mar 28, 2013.

Me and my sister are both writing a novel together, and I'm excited about it because she's excited to do it. The situation I come across is that I'm embarrass of my writing, since we're writing about about controversial crap *it sells*. It's not my frame of mind, but I don't know if she is going to judge me that this is the way I think??? I could be wrong. Our goal is mostly financial success.

So far I done 1000 words, and showed it to her. She was like, "this is great, weird and erotic sells". She rejected my other attempt, and I see her point... it was lame.

Anyone work with someone before, and was afraid to show?

2. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Have confidence in yourself, be proud of your writing. Writing a novel isn't easy or a small undertaking. Take pride in that.

3. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

I can see where writing erotica with your sister is weird, kinda like that episode of Friends where someone's boyfriend has a bath with his sister - w-e-i-r-d!

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

If this is your goal, you'd be better off pooling the money the two of you would earn working at McDonalds.

5. Mithrandir

Mithrandir New Member

In the general vicinity of the Atlantic Ocean
    My brother reviews a lot of the stuff I write, and it does get frustrating. Make sure both of you understand who 'owns' the work. Otherwise, a serious disagreement could derail the whole project.

6. Xatron

Xatron New Member

Now i am curious. How do you write erotica with your sister? From my experience, when you write that kind of stuff you have a scene playing out in your mind. For two people to have the same scene, do you discuss it beforehand or watch movies together or what?
    Sounds interesting.

7. chicagoliz

Actually this sounds like a fascinating plotline to a story in and of itself -- a guy trying to write erotica with his sister. Awkwardness ensues. Secrets are revealed...

8. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

brother and sister watching "movies"?

playing out scenes in their minds?

sounds like a book in itself?

Just plain weird!

9. Xatron

Xatron New Member

A great erotica plotline if i may add. Maybe you can switch to that Monsun, it has potential :)

10. chicagoliz

I was thinking along a more humorous bent, but hey -- that's what happens with premises & prompts - everyone goes somewhere different.

11. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Other than for the topic I think writing with family sounds awesome. I don't write with my sister, but I do use her for editing and that's always awkward. And she tears them to pieces!

But no matter who read and commented on my books that would be awkward. It's just human nature. But as a writer you have to be able to do it anyway. That's part of the process, and probably one of the hardest parts for any writer.

Cheers, Greg.

12. A.Tad.of.Conrad

A.Tad.of.Conrad New Member

agreed, I want to read this.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Never collaborate without a signed contract,clearly delineating responsibilities, division of work and any profits, and contingencies if the partnership breaks for anty reason.

Do this ESPECIALLY if you are collaborating with a friend or family member - collaborations gone bad will destroy a relationship, and they DO go bad more often that you think.

14. chicagoliz

Of course, even with a contract, if the collaboration has gone bad and you have to even threaten to sue, the relationship may still be destroyed.

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto cog's admonition... don't write another word till you've done that...

wga's collaboration agreement is the best you'll find... just have to change a few words to make it work for a novel and take out all the clauses that relate to screenwriters...

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Very true, iz, But at least if all parties have signed a contract, they've at least had to consider the pitfalls,

You can't protect people from everything, nor should you try, but too many people go into a collaboration with airy notions of rainbows and fairy dust.

17. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

One other note: financial success is one of those things that, sought directly, is rarely achieved. It must come as the byproduct of some useful endeavor.

Write a good story for the sake of a good story. If you don't have that, all the "erotica" in the world won't help.