1. Spazimash

Spazimash New Member

Who should my character choose?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Spazimash, Dec 10, 2013.

I have hit quite the brick wall in the story I'm currently working on. Usually I let my characters lead the way and progress the story in their own time but as it so happens my character has found her self in a situation that neither her nor I know how to solve.

Let me give you the scene. I have my female lead Lilia, her boyfriend Mark and her best friend/ex Adam. Lilia made a confession to Mark in regards to some photos and a possible video of her and a friend of theirs Max who she slept with not long after her and Adam broke up. Mark reacted quite badly and ended up leaving the apartment. Adam (who is currently living with Lilia due to a break with his current girlfriend) in trying to help Lilia tells her that he still loves her and that's why he broke up with his girlfriend. They have then ended up sleeping together. That night the two decided to go to Karaoke at the local bar, Mark decides after walking aimlessly around town for hours to also go to the bar. Lilia decides to sing only to have Mark when she finishes her song jump up on stage and kiss her.

And here in is the problem. We both have no clue who she should go with as she is madly in love with Mark but also loves Adam but maybe not quite how he loves her, she also knows Mark loves her more then life it's self as he told her that early on. Any ideas? Suggestions? And if your curious Mark and Lilia have known each other a year but have only been dating 3 days.

2. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

Maybe she should spend some time alone until she develops her own self.

3. Spazimash

Spazimash New Member

That seems like the wisest idea.

4. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Actually, I think it would do you good to let your character be indecisive for a while. It is more believable that way. Unfortunately, in real life, people are often hesitant to make a decision when faced with two possible paths, even if they already knew which would be best. After all, is not that what romance is all about: the hesitation, indecision, doubts?

The fact that you cannot figure it out either shows that you probably would not know what to do in the same situation either. I would definitely recommend some soul searching for yourself. Once you know what you would do, your character naturally will too.

5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Personally I'd rather see her losing both of the guys and having to do what Renee says.

6. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

I read a lot of advice columns.

7. live2write

live2write Senior Member

It seems like there is an unrequitted love between Lilia and Adam, in a way where she might love him as a companion/friend than a relationship and Adam wants more.

Meanwhile the relationship with Mark seems to be like a rebound. Of course with all relationships with past relationships are brought to the table, there is jealousy, anger and emotional pain.

Here are some suggestions I have come up with.

A. Lilia chooses Mark. She emotionally has an attraction to him where as Mark can learn to forgive her of her past relationships. Adam either will have to stick it out with Lilia and just be friends or he has to end the relationship with Lilia and move on.

B. Lilia chooses Adam. Mark can forgive Lilia about her past relationships, but Lilia feels guilty for being with someone she cannot lie to. She does spend one more evening with Mark to make a final decision. Either she says she cannot move on that evening or she waits until the next morning.

C. She chooses to leave Adam and Mark and needs that alone time to straighten out her life.

With A & B you can add a spin of drama where Adam or Mark becomes jealous and goes into an anger spree. With C, it seems a bit weak where I see this happening in the end of stories rather than in the middle.