Tags:
  1. Chariot

Chariot New Member

Screenplay to Novel

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Chariot, Mar 2, 2009.

Hey everyone,

I've been given a drop of advice from a colleague to turn my screenplay into a novel. There's only one problem, I don't know which path to take in order to make that happen.

The screenplay is 140 pages (20 pages too long by industry standard but that may pay off in this case) and is a part of an eight film series. The eight films is why my friend is telling me to get this story into print form because he believes the chances of seeing it on screen are much smaller than on paper.

He may be right ;)

In the end I would love any advice on which direction to go involving a publisher, I believe this is a unique story with some very engaging elements both character and plot alike.

Best and thanks!

C

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Before seeking out publishers, I would have to ask if you have written a novel before. The approaches to many aspects, such as scene-setting and dialoque, are very different. Also, the complexity and depth of a novel is usually quite a bit greater.

You should have the novel manuscript completed before you attempt to contact a publisher.

3. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

You never know which is more likely to happen, especially if you can shave those twenty pages or find a studio interested despite the length. If I were you, I would not shut the door on either option. As for focusing on the novel part, write it first. No point in even looking at the publishers until you have something to show them. You never know if the right publisher or agent will want sample chapters along with your proposal/query, so you might as well get it done first. You also never know when they will want to see the entire thing. If they ask for it and you haven't finished, you'll make them wait and that's no good.

The other fact is, what works on film and in a book is not always the same. Some of the story might change while you are adapting it, and therefore the outline in the submission would change.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

fyi, the current industry standard optimum is 110 pages for all but comedy...