1. BlackBird

BlackBird New Member

Non-Fiction How to Do References & a Bit More

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by BlackBird, Jan 2, 2013.

I am asking for a friend of mine, who might join later but right now just wants something clarified.

Is it possible to add references at the end of each CHAPTER instead of having a gigantic list of footnotes and bibliography at the very end of the book.

She asks because of the way she organized the book so - she didn't keep numbered references off the bat due to putting new information in here and there [everything would have to be renumbered] and merely has the reference info right now at the bottom of the given paragraph.

So can she make a footnote / bibliography at the END of each CHAPTER? Has this been done?

I think I've seen it with school texts but it's been a while.

Secondly what text style is a non-fiction book usually written in? Ariel 12, New Times Roman?

She's looking to self publish first and then go from there, so obviously no publisher to reference.

Any examples or reference material / websites would be welcomed.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I don't think I've ever seen references at the end of a chapter. They usually go at the very end. But I suppose it can be done this way. You may want to do a Google search and see if you can find any examples of this.

Times New Roman is fine. It's an easy enough font to read.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Most references I've looked at have the footnotes at the bottom of the page (except for tables). I have, on rare occasions, seen a short bibliography at the end of chapters, but those pertained only to that chapter. My expectation, as a reader, would be to have the footnotes on the same page for quick reference, rather than at the end of the chapter. There are numerous sources on referencing material on the net and in books such as the Chicago Manual of Style.

4. Mikewritesfic

Mikewritesfic Active Member

References, index, bibliography, etc are always at the end of the book. Or at least they should be. If you submit a non-fiction work with references at the end of every chapter the editor will just put everything at the end.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what kind of book is it?

and how many citations are we talking about, per chapter?